Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 379 Words
  • 1,683 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 37. The Temple of Doom

We decided to end our prompt series the same way we started... with Rory's Story Cubes. This time we used "Action" instead of the original. We used the same three dice: break, lift, peek

Sebastian peeked around the corner. His eyes narrowed as he spied the treasure high above. He settled close to the ground, analyzing the safest way to approach the precious object which had eluded him for so long.

While the approach looked fairly straightforward, it was probably full of traps. Kind of like that movie where the guy had to run from the giant ball. He hoped there weren’t any giant balls lurking around to thwart him.

He decided to take a chance and darted across the open distance to the nearest cover. He exhaled in relief. So far so good. The next step looked more complicated. He’d have to do some climbing, which would make him vulnerable to his enemies. He’d have to be quiet. And fast.

After scoping out the area for several minutes, he readied himself for the arduous task ahead of him. He dashed ahead until he reached the steep incline, then lifted his legs lithely as he bolted up the small mountain and rested at the top, sides heaving, stretching as low to the ground as he possibly could.

The treasure was now at eye level, but still tantalizingly out of reach. He practically salivated at the thought of finally touching it. His enemies were nowhere in sight, but that didn’t mean they weren’t lurking close, hidden, waiting to smite him.

The lure of the shiny thing so close was too strong a pull. He was a good jumper, so the leap to get to the treasure should be fairly straightforward. He’d have to be careful to avoid the surrounding objects, since any of those could hold deadly traps.

He crouched low on his haunches, then after two strides, launched himself into the air, and landed softly next to the treasure. He jostled the tall thing next to it, but thankfully it didn’t contain any traps. He reached out to touch the shiny treasure… finally his after so long!

“Sebastian! Get off there! If you break that, I’m going to kill you! Bad cat!”

Shit! He’d been discovered! He leapt off the shelf, the treasure and traps reaching the ground at the same time he did, shattering around him. The human shrieked in horror. Fuck! He’d have to go into hiding.

Until dinnertime.

Check out Cole Matthews' vastly different take on the same prompt in "Shuffle off to Buffalo".  We had a blast this week, writing the prompts.  A huge thank you to all who followed us on this journey.  Until next time!  :hug: 
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Now I can’t get John Williams’ Indiana Jones theme out of my head!
;–)

That’s just one reason why my mother hated cats! None of my brother’s dogs was allowed on the furniture (but there were a few exceptions over the years). They definitely never slept in bed with him. And they were prohibited from walking on our tables or counters!
;–)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
5 hours ago, Cole Matthews said:

I can't imagine who may have inspired this prompt.  I really think you're quite the joker Valkyrie and you have the heart of a knight!

Haha... no idea... 👼

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, Headstall said:

Brilliant! You guys did great with all these prompts! Cheers... Gary....

Thank you, and thanks for taking this journey with us.  :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Now I can’t get John Williams’ Indiana Jones theme out of my head!
;–)

That’s just one reason why my mother hated cats! None of my brother’s dogs was allowed on the furniture (but there were a few exceptions over the years). They definitely never slept in bed with him. And they were prohibited from walking on our tables or counters!
;–)

Well you can prohibit all you want... animals don't always listen, especially when no humans are around. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Well you can prohibit all you want... animals don't always listen, especially when no humans are around. 

There was that year when my brother’s dog (the last one) found a box of chocolate on the coffee table under the christmas tree. My mother missed one – all the others were on the mantle out of reach of the dog.  But the dog was always very good(?) about throwing up so she didn’t die from chocolate poisoning (she was put to sleep when she was deaf and blind at a very old age in her mid teens).

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
26 minutes ago, dughlas said:

You must be Jokering, a mischievous feline.

:gikkle:  A combination of every cat I've ever had.  :gikkle: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
3 hours ago, aditus said:

Are you sure his name wasn't Marlowe? :D

I think his name is "Every cat on the planet"  :gikkle: 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
6 hours ago, Sherye said:

OMG! That was hilarious! I haven't laughed like that in awhile! lol:rofl:

Based on a true story.  Several times over :unsure:  :P 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..