Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 792 Words
  • 2,198 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 3. Prompt 482 - The Bees

Prompt 482 - word list - use the following words in a story: a tree limb, a garbage bag, a lemon, a chicken, and bees

The door flew open with a loud bang, followed by a frantic Owen barging his way into the house. The garbage bag he was carrying snagged on the doorframe, ripping and spilling its contents all over the front hallway. He slammed the door shut and stood with his back against it, chest heaving. Sweat ran in rivulets down his pale face and his eyes were wide with fear.

I set down the lemon I’d been slicing and ran over to him. “What happened? What’s wrong?”

He pointed to our front yard shakily. “B…b…bees!” he managed to gasp out in between gulping breaths.

I raised an eyebrow. “What?”

“Bees! There are bees outside! Hundreds of them!”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I said.

“I’m serious! The whole front yard is swarming with bees! I’m lucky to have escaped with my life!”

I reached for the door handle, but Owen grabbed my arm. “Don’t let them in here!”

I looked down at the mess now filling the front hallway and wrinkled my nose. “You couldn’t have left the garbage outside?”

“I was running for my life. So sorry to have offended your sense of smell.”

I rolled my eyes. “Let me go take a look.”

“Don’t let any in here!”

“Will you relax? I won’t let any in.” I opened the door and checked out the porch before opening the screen door. “There aren’t any on the porch.” I walked outside and looked around. I didn’t see any bees, so I walked over to our designated garbage area. One of the cans was lying on its side with the lid nearby. About five bees buzzed around the can, checking out the contents. I shooed them away before setting it upright and replacing the lid.

When I went back inside, Owen was refilling another garbage bag with the contents of the first. “Hon, there’s like five bees outside. What the hell’s your problem?”

“Five? Chris, I’m telling you that the whole front yard was swarming with the vile things.”

“I know you’re a city boy, but seriously Owe…I told you before we moved here that there are bugs in the country.”

“I know that! Don’t treat me like I’m some queen who freaks out over the smallest thing!”

I stifled my laughter, but not before Owen scowled and threw the trash bag at me, stomping off in the direction of our room. Way to prove your point, I thought.

I finished cleaning up the garbage and brought it outside before returning to the kitchen to finish making dinner.

About an hour later, Owen still hadn’t emerged and dinner was ready. I went into our room and found him on the bed, intently studying something on his tablet.

“Dinner’s ready, babe.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Don’t be like that.”

He ignored me, so I sat down next to him. He frowned and moved away. I put my hand on his leg and squeezed. “C’mon, Owe…don’t ‘bee’ like that. Get it?” I waggled my eyebrows and grinned.

He rolled his eyes in an exaggerated fashion and shoved my hand. A hint of a smile appeared on his face. “You and your cheesy puns…”

“I made your favorite. Lemon chicken.”

His body posture relaxed, and he smiled. “Sounds good.”

“Great, we can eat in the backyard if you want.”

“As long as the bees are gone.”

I pulled him to his feet and wrapped my arms around him. “I’ll protect you from the evil stingy things.”

He laughed and pecked my lips. “My hero. Let’s eat. I’m starving.”

We headed to the kitchen and piled our plates full of chicken, rice, and vegetables, before heading onto our back porch. We were about halfway through our meal when Owen put his fork down and stared at the sky. “Do you hear an airplane?”

I listened; there was a low buzzing noise growing increasingly louder. “I don’t think that’s an airplane. Look at that tree limb!”

There was a large oak tree next to our shed. One of the branches looked like it was alive and crawling with hundreds of…

“Bees! I told you so! See, I’m not just some dumb city boy!” Owen yelled before running into the house.

I wasn’t far behind him. We watched in growing fascination and horror as our backyard filled with the bee swarm.

Over the next several days, the bees settled into the large limb on our oak tree. We eventually consulted with an apiarist who moved the swarm to a more suitable location, much to Owen’s relief. I gave him a jar of honey from our swarm for his birthday. He told me there better be something else in the bag too, although he was smiling when he said it.

Thanks for reading! Please leave a 'like' or review and let me know what you thought of my bee story. :)
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad Owen was vindicated, but that was funny as heck.. Probably because I would attack 1 bee as if there were a hive, so I relate..
Well done Val.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/09/2016 01:12 PM, Defiance19 said:

I'm glad Owen was vindicated, but that was funny as heck.. Probably because I would attack 1 bee as if there were a hive, so I relate..

Well done Val.

I am terrified of bees, so five to me is a swarm... lol I've actually encountered two large swarms in my lifetime and hope I never do again. Very scary! Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it!

Link to comment

I've never understood the fear of bees, but ok a swarm isn't something I'd get up close and personal with. Glad they got some honey. The card must have read "Bee mine"...!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/10/2016 07:49 AM, Puppilull said:

I've never understood the fear of bees, but ok a swarm isn't something I'd get up close and personal with. Glad they got some honey. The card must have read "Bee mine"...!

I am absolutely terrified of the stingy little bastards. I blame my mom. She's allergic and always freaks out around bees. lol I've encountered two swarms in my lifetime, and never want to ever again. Vey scary! Thanks for the review :) I bet you're right about the card... lol

Link to comment

I love "I told you so" stories! This is a great one. Swarming bees can be awfully scary. I hope the two honeys stay sweet on each other...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/11/2016 08:56 AM, Parker Owens said:

I love "I told you so" stories! This is a great one. Swarming bees can be awfully scary. I hope the two honeys stay sweet on each other...

Sorry I missed replying to this earlier. I appreciate you reading and taking the time to review :) I've encountered two swarms in my life and that's more than enough. Both times were terrifying. They really do sound like an airplane.

Link to comment

When I was eight we had what my brother calls the great bee massacre. I love going barefoot and stepped on so many bees. Mom would use dad's chewing tobacco, and the next day I would be right back out there. Pretty sure I decimated the population for a bit. I freak out with poison ivy though, tend to break out if I get within 20 feet. 

Back on topic though, I love how you make your characters relatable. And thoroughly enjoyable. :2thumbs:

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I stepped on a bee once when I was a kid and I remember how painful it was.  I am absolutely terrified of bees.  If I see one, I'm running the other way...   Thanks for the kind words and the comments.  You've made my day, seeing all the notifications for my prompt stories. :) 

Link to comment

Ok, I would run like the dickens too if I seen that many bees! 

My sister and I geocache (if you don't know what that is, look it up) and one day she was looking for a hiding place to hide a new cache for others to find. She stuck her face in the hole of a rock and freaked out when she pulled a small branch away from the hole ad found "African Honey Bees" in the hole! She backed away from the hole and thank goodness, the bees did not notice her. She got back in the car and went a little ways down and hid the cache. She named the cache: Coming Back From My Near Death Experience

I am glad she lived through it and was never attacked. She called the reviewer who is a beehive caretaker and he went and put them somewhere they could not harm anyone. Plus he gave my sister some honey from the hive.

Not only that, but natural honey bees made a nest in the walls of her trailer house and her and her husband had to get them removed. They got most of the honey from that.

I guess my sister is a bee magnet!

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
18 minutes ago, Sherye said:

Ok, I would run like the dickens too if I seen that many bees! 

My sister and I geocache (if you don't know what that is, look it up) and one day she was looking for a hiding place to hide a new cache for others to find. She stuck her face in the hole of a rock and freaked out when she pulled a small branch away from the hole ad found "African Honey Bees" in the hole! She backed away from the hole and thank goodness, the bees did not notice her. She got back in the car and went a little ways down and hid the cache. She named the cache: Coming Back From My Near Death Experience

I am glad she lived through it and was never attacked. She called the reviewer who is a beehive caretaker and he went and put them somewhere they could not harm anyone. Plus he gave my sister some honey from the hive.

Not only that, but natural honey bees made a nest in the walls of her trailer house and her and her husband had to get them removed. They got most of the honey from that.

I guess my sister is a bee magnet!

I know what geocaching is ;)  I had an experience with Africanized bees once.  It was terrifying!  If bees ever got into the walls of my house, I'd have to sell it.  :unsure: Thanks for reading!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I know what geocaching is ;)  I had an experience with Africanized bees once.  It was terrifying!  If bees ever got into the walls of my house, I'd have to sell it.  :unsure: Thanks for reading!

And I am glad she never sold the trailer cause she gave it to me years later and I have been living in the trailer over 30 years now, will be 31 in Feb.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..