Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 920 Words
  • 1,832 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 28. Tigers and Elephants and... Oh My!

This is part of the monthly prompt series I am completing with Cole Matthews and now Aditus. The prompt was a photograph of a man balancing an elephant on his finger. The picture will be uploaded to the Gallery.

The sun hadn’t risen enough to burn off the early morning fog, lending the landscape an air of mystery. Evan half expected ethereal arms to reach through the car window and carry him off to Neverland. Or maybe he just wished they would. It would be nice to get away after all he’d been through over the past couple of months. He sighed and glanced at the empty Styrofoam cup in the holder next to him. Today is going to be a two coffee day, he thought, and leaned his head against the cool glass of the passenger side window. He closed his eyes, allowing the thrum of the tires to lull his tired body into sleep.

Pain exploded through Evan’s head as the screech of tires preceded the car swerving off the road, coming to an abrupt halt in a roadside ditch. His heart pounded and vision blurred. He wiped away a sticky substance and blinked. Panic flooded through him at the sight of his blood-covered hands. He turned toward the driver.

“Oh my God! Ryan! Are you all right?”

Ryan gripped the steering wheel so tightly his knuckles turned white, matching his complexion. He turned toward Evan. His cobalt blue eyes were dilated and shaking. A chill ran through Evan’s body and he shivered. How the hell did eyes shake? Ryan’s pupils reminded Evan of a cat ready to pounce on its prey. Something was very wrong with his boyfriend.

“Did you see that?” Ryan’s voice shook. He rotated his body so he could look out the rear window.

“See what? I was sleeping. Was it a deer?”

“No! It wasn’t a fucking deer! It was a man in a suit balancing an elephant on his hand like a spinning basketball!”

Evan stared at Ryan. His immediate thought was drugs. Ryan had been acting strange for a while. He was distant and spent more time at the office. It was the typical relationship cliché. Evan first thought Ryan was having an affair, but dismissed the thought after reviewing their finances. They should be able to pay their bills with ease, with enough to put into savings with all the overtime Ryan was supposedly making. Instead, he had found a pile of past due notices and threats to disconnect services.

So Evan’s next thought was drugs. The money had to be going somewhere, and Ryan’s change in behavior made Evan suspicious of his partner’s habits. He cursed himself for letting Ryan drive. What was he thinking?

“An elephant? Really, Ry?”

Ryan scowled as his shaky eyes turned back toward Evan. “Yeah. Really, Ev.”

Evan sighed. “Where’s your phone? We need to call 911.”

Ryan dug into his pocket and removed his iPhone. Evan reached for the device, and Ryan screamed and flung himself against the car door. “Get away from me!”

Evan recoiled, alarm flooding through him. “What the hell? I just want to call for help!”

Ryan flailed all four of his limbs, narrowing missing Evan. “Ow! You scratched me! Get away from me! Leave me alone! Don’t kill me!”

Evan frowned. He hadn’t touched the other man. “Ryan! It’s me! What the fuck are you doing?”

Ryan continued ranting and leveling kicks at Evan every time he tried to approach. The phone had fallen into the cup holder between the two seats, landing right in the middle of both coffee cups. Evan hissed in pain as a kick connected with his arm when he snatched the device away. He exited the car, cursing when he stepped into ankle-deep water. He climbed out of the ditch and dialed 911.

“I’ve been in an accident. We need help immediately. Something’s wrong with my boyfriend. He swerved to miss a man with an elephant and now he thinks I’m a tiger trying to attack him and his eyes are doing this weird thing and—”

“Calm down, sir. Where are you located?”

“Route 82. West.”

“I’m going to dispatch help immediately. Is there a mile marker nearby?”

Evan spun around. He was on the wrong side of the ditch. It didn’t take long for him to scramble to the other side and locate a mile marker. Five minutes later, he heard sirens as the ambulance approached. He exhaled in relief.

*****

Evan stared at Ryan’s still form in the hospital bed, absently playing with the bandage on his forehead. He’d suffered a mild concussion and head laceration in the accident. The wound had required several stitches. He didn’t care, though. The only thing that mattered to him was laying a few feet away in a drug-induced coma.

After hearing the doctor’s news, Evan wished Ryan’s issues were from drug addiction. They weren’t. The nystagmus—the fancy name for shaky eyes—and hallucinations were the symptoms of a far worse issue.

Brain tumor.

Evan hadn’t heard much beyond those two words. He mentally berated himself for not getting Ryan help sooner, although from what the doctor said it wouldn’t have made much difference. It was operable, but with great risk.

A year prior, Evan’s mother had insisted the two men create health care directives and proxies. He was thankful she did, for the pieces of paper allowed him to make decisions for the man he loved who was now incapable of making those decisions for himself.

He wiped away a tear as the surgical team entered the room and prepared to take Ryan away. While not a religious man, he said a prayer for the first time since childhood.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to hear rants, raves, or anything in between. :) 
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Be sure to check out Cole's companion piece in Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight and Aditus' response in Aditus' Prompts and Circumstances.  

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow!!!  A brain tumor.  Jeez.  I'm listening to a book and there are drug-induced hallucinations so of course that's my mind went there so it surprised me.  

 

Great job!!!  I love he saw the actually image.  

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

What a terrible surprise... I can understand preferring it to be drugs. As difficult as those can be, it's more of a controllable thing. Or so it seems. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great use of the prompt to tell a touching, heart wrenching story. Poor Ryan... how much uncertainty did he go through? And now Evan is left to berate himself for not acting sooner... while he waits, and holds onto hope. This totally engaged me... but I could have done with a little more length. :)  Cheers, Val... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

My mother’s symptoms were different. We thought she was showing signs of Alzheimer’s Disease. The doctors ruled that out and discovered a fairly large brain tumor. Although they operated, she never regained her memory. After her surgery, she was silent around me, but she may have spoken to others. She was never really herself after the memory loss became apparent.

 

She lived several years after the surgery, but she wasn’t really there anymore. It’s been over 16 years since she died. My father survived about a year and a half after she died.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/1/2018 at 2:30 PM, Cole Matthews said:

Wow!!!  A brain tumor.  Jeez.  I'm listening to a book and there are drug-induced hallucinations so of course that's my mind went there so it surprised me.  

 

Great job!!!  I love he saw the actually image.  

Thanks :) It was really interesting seeing how you and Addy interpreted the photo.  It was a tough prompt.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/1/2018 at 7:03 PM, Puppilull said:

What a terrible surprise... I can understand preferring it to be drugs. As difficult as those can be, it's more of a controllable thing. Or so it seems. 

Both are difficult issues to face.  At least now they have answers and can work on a solution.  Thanks for reading! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/1/2018 at 11:32 PM, Headstall said:

Great use of the prompt to tell a touching, heart wrenching story. Poor Ryan... how much uncertainty did he go through? And now Evan is left to berate himself for not acting sooner... while he waits, and holds onto hope. This totally engaged me... but I could have done with a little more length. :)  Cheers, Val... Gary....

The downside of prompts is that they're usually snippets and sketches--exercises not designed to be expanded on.  Occasionally one will turn into a longer work, but I doubt I'll revisit this one again.  Sometimes I find it hard to stop writing them, so I totally get wanting more.  Thanks for reading and commenting.  I'm glad you liked it. :hug: 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
7 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

My mother’s symptoms were different. We thought she was showing signs of Alzheimer’s Disease. The doctors ruled that out and discovered a fairly large brain tumor. Although they operated, she never regained her memory. After her surgery, she was silent around me, but she may have spoken to others. She was never really herself after the memory loss became apparent.

 

She lived several years after the surgery, but she wasn’t really there anymore. It’s been over 16 years since she died. My father survived about a year and a half after she died.

I'm sorry you had to go through that :hug: My grandfather had Parkinson's and dementia, and suffered from hallucinations, which is part of the inspiration for this piece.  It's so difficult to deal with the decline of loved ones.  :hug:  

  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

My late husband had hallucinations before he passed away. He thought I was feeding him when I wasn't. Every time I would ask him if he was hungry or brought him something to eat, he told me that I just fed him 30 minutes ago which I hadn't. I had asked him 30 minutes earlier if he was hungry and he did say yes and when I brought it to him he told me that. He even thought spiders were crawling all over him. I was really freaking out. But the RN told me that since he was dying he would get worse with hallucinations. I will never forget that!

This prompt brought back those memories!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
15 hours ago, Sherye said:

My late husband had hallucinations before he passed away. He thought I was feeding him when I wasn't. Every time I would ask him if he was hungry or brought him something to eat, he told me that I just fed him 30 minutes ago which I hadn't. I had asked him 30 minutes earlier if he was hungry and he did say yes and when I brought it to him he told me that. He even thought spiders were crawling all over him. I was really freaking out. But the RN told me that since he was dying he would get worse with hallucinations. I will never forget that!

This prompt brought back those memories!

My grandpa used to have hallucinations too.  Sometimes he'd refuse to eat because he didn't want to be rude when the other 'people' in the room weren't eating too :( 

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..