Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 739 Words
  • 1,883 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 32. Mission to Mars

The prompt was selected by Cole's husband, Randy, who randomly selected three pages from "The Amazing Prompt Generator". We had to use the following premise for our stories: Blinded during a freak lightning strike, the world’s tallest woman, joins the first manned mission to Mars.

“What the fuck are they thinking? We can’t possibly continue with the mission now! It’s a logistical nightmare!”

“We need her expertise. There is no mission without her.”

“That’s exactly my point! It’s dangerous enough without having to care for—”

“Care for what? Or who, I should ask?” Natasha could picture the expressions on Dmitri and Vladimir’s faces, even though she could no longer actually see them. She smiled, enjoying their discomfort.

“Uh… well….” Dmitri’s voice cracked. “How did she hear us?”

“Shut up, you fool!” Vladimir hissed.

“I’m blind, not deaf,” Natasha stated. “And you need me, so deal with it.” She laughed at the sound of retreating footsteps. Cowards.

 

Dmitri rubbed his arm where Vladimir had grabbed it, dragging him into a room away from the giant freak. “What the hell, Vlad?”

“Watch what you say and think!”

Dmitri raised an eyebrow.

Vladimir sighed. “What I’m about to tell you is top secret. I was only authorized to tell you prior to launch, so there’s no way to spread the news.”

“What news? What’s going on?”

“That lightning strike didn’t only take Natasha’s sight—it also gave her… certain abilities. Believe me, she is no liability.”

“What do you mean, ‘certain abilities’?”

“Crazy as it sounds, she can read minds.”

Dmitri snorted. “Are you sure you weren’t the one struck by lightning?”

“Would I say it if it weren’t true?” Vladimir narrowed his eyes and started at his colleague, until the other man squirmed. “Think of something and don’t say what it is.”

Dmitri furrowed his brow and looked at the door separating him from the tall monstrosity. The sound of loud, raucous laughter made him flinch. His eyes widened and he looked at Vladimir. “Oh my God… it’s true, isn’t it!”

“Only in your dreams, little man,” Natasha’s mocking voice caused him to turn bright red. “You are most definitely not my type.”

“Enough of this. Time to prepare for launch,” Vladimir stated. He stood and they headed for the launch site after gathering the still-snickering woman from the adjoining room.

 

Dmitri’s stomach roiled, and he didn’t think it was from the trip from Earth to Mars. The landing had gone as smooth as possible, and the trip had so far exceeded expectations. He’d drawn the short straw and was stuck with guiding the freak. He was a tall man and his head only reached the behemoth’s breasts. Not a view he was particularly enamored with.

The woman was strange on a good day, but now she seemed almost giddy.

“This way,” she said, turning to the right and dragging him along.

What the hell did she need him for? It was as if she already knew where she was going. But how could she, since this was the first manned mission to Mars?

The two other crew members followed behind. Dmitri had to take hopping steps in order to match the long stride of the world’s tallest woman. Soon, they had outdistanced the other astronauts to the point they couldn’t even see them.

“Slow down! We’ve lost Vasilly and Ivan!”

Natasha laughed and walked even faster. She slowed as they approached what appeared to be the entrance to a cave. Dmitri’s heart pounded in his chest, and not from the exertion of their journey. He experienced a chill as he realized Natasha knew exactly where this place was, and not from any previous reconnaissance. The rovers had never made it this far.

“Where are we?” he asked, then swallowed.

“Home,” she stated. She disentangled her arm from his and walked to the entrance of the cave. She emitted a high-pitched keening sound, then waited.

Dmitri felt the urge to flee. He was in danger; he knew it in the very core of his being. But his explorer side wouldn’t allow him to move and he stood and waited with her.

They didn’t have to wait long before several beings the same height as the gigantic woman tentatively emerged from the cave.

They all smiled and converged on Natasha. “Welcome home, sister! Come, the others are waiting.”

“I have one thing to take care of first.” She turned toward Dmitri, who finally decided now was the time to run.

Natasha reached him in several strides, then ripped the oxygen tube from his suit, leaving the human writhing on the ground of her home planet, as she returned to her long-lost brethren.

Check out Cole Matthews' take on the same prompt in "Shuffle off to Buffalo". The alien theme for both prompts so far was pure coincidence. Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's interesting how Valkyrie went for a more sci fi approach and mine was different, though our elements are similar.  

This is why we are having a blast and laughing so much!!  I enjoyed this immensely!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Was the fish trying to contact Natasha? Is the fish the larval form of the Martians? Was the realignment of the reeds and other items the reason why the lightning struck Natasha? Was Dimitri the fisherman?
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Geron Kees said:

Funny! But how did Natasha get to Earth in the first place?

Natasha was part of a rescue operation for the fish, of course!
;–)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, droughtquake said:

Natasha was part of a rescue operation for the fish, of course!
;–)

Ohhh! Um...what fish?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Holy shit! Um, can I say I always have vampires on my mind when I read Vlad? Definitely  no vampires though, more Jenova  from Final Fantasy VII. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

WT... F? What a bitch! No, not you, Val. :P  A dark but entertaining little prompt. I've always said... beware of Amazons... :unsure2: . Great job, sis. :yes: 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, droughtquake said:

The pet of the king of the aliens who lived in a beautiful, clear, blue-green eddy of a meandering creek, of course!
;–)

I was thinking of him as an alien that resembled a fish, but not a real fish. My bad!

And that was the OTHER story, anyway!

Edited by Geron Kees
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/12/2019 at 8:13 PM, Cole Matthews said:

It's interesting how Valkyrie went for a more sci fi approach and mine was different, though our elements are similar.  

This is why we are having a blast and laughing so much!!  I enjoyed this immensely!

I love seeing the different takes on the same prompt.  I enjoyed it too :hug: 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/12/2019 at 8:31 PM, droughtquake said:

Was the fish trying to contact Natasha? Is the fish the larval form of the Martians? Was the realignment of the reeds and other items the reason why the lightning struck Natasha? Was Dimitri the fisherman?
;–)

:X 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/12/2019 at 10:00 PM, Geron Kees said:

Funny! But how did Natasha get to Earth in the first place?

:gikkle:  I have no idea.  Maybe she was abandoned with the poor fish from the first prompt :gikkle: 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/12/2019 at 11:11 PM, Parker Owens said:

Ouch! Not a nice way to say ‘thanks for the ride!’

Definitely not  :no: 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/13/2019 at 5:31 AM, aditus said:

Holy shit! Um, can I say I always have vampires on my mind when I read Vlad? Definitely  no vampires though, more Jenova  from Final Fantasy VII. 

Yes!  Perfect! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 8/13/2019 at 6:50 AM, Puppilull said:

That was no way to play nice! Bad alien! Poor Dmitri should've listened to his instincts. 

Yeah, he definitely should have.  Thanks for reading :) 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
20 hours ago, Headstall said:

WT... F? What a bitch! No, not you, Val. :P  A dark but entertaining little prompt. I've always said... beware of Amazons... :unsure2: . Great job, sis. :yes: 

:rofl:  Thanks :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
14 hours ago, Sherye said:

I am speechless on this one so all I can say is WOW!

Thank you :) 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..