Jump to content
    WolfM
  • Author
  • 3,786 Words
  • 1,519 Views
  • 46 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Elemental - 3. Elemental 3

It had been a month since his last meeting with the upper echelon of the Elemental population in Australia. Once again, Dante sat at his mahogany desk in the dimly lit office and activated his camera. All the other participants were on and waiting.

The New South Wales representative in Sydney spoke almost as soon as Dante had entered the meeting. “We’ve rechecked everything and still have no clue who the woman or Wind Bender were. I’m sorry, sir.”

“Before anyone else jumps in to apologize, my people have managed to identify both individuals. The woman was Mia Richards. The Wind Bender is environmental activist Hudson Elmhirst. You should all be receiving photos of him.”

“Mia Richards? The sister of billionaire Dante Reid?” The woman from Melbourne sounded shocked. “For his wealth and connections, he’s still just a low-level Torch, but it could have serious ramifications between Fire and Wind relations.”

“One and the same.” He was pleased the others could not see the smirk on his face at essentially being called insignificant. “She appears to have become caught up in Elmhirst’s environmental crusade only to leave it near the end. No one but Hudson knows for sure what took place on that hillside before the Americans intervened.” Dante transmitted just enough of the information he possessed to cover what was known without exposing his connection. “What the Americans described with the fire could have been a fight between the two.”

“Oi! NSW should have found her missing before our last meeting.” The Earther from Alice Springs hit his desk. “Wasted a bunch of our fuckin’ time while saying everyone was accounted for. How do you explain counting a dead woman? Twice?”

“Some of my people will review how this lapse was allowed to happen and if a change is needed, so be it.” Dante could not help the glow of his eyes building. “I want that Wind Bender found by any means necessary. It shouldn’t be difficult with someone who seeks out the media to promote his views. If his people harbor him or any other faction does, there will be serious repercussions.”

“Forgive my apparent ignorance,” the woman from Melbourne hesitated, “but it sounds like you’ve changed your attitude towards the national disaster we kept warning about as well as perhaps the Americans’ involvement in it.”

“We all knew the conditions were ripe for that to happen. The humans had fire warning out everywhere, the weather was fuckin’ hot for months, and we’d gotten no rain.” Dante drummed his fingers on the desk. “I never stated they were a good thing, nor did I want the whole fucking country burning. Merely that it’s something your kind can’t appreciate the way I can.”

“The water spirits wanted to do something to make the situation better, but we were overruled.” The blue of her eyes intensified as a cloud formed over her water glass. “The Torches could have tried what the Americans did and drew down the flames. No one here even attempted a solution.”

“Fires happen. Lightning or other natural causes spark them and nature takes its course. People took advantage of the weather for reasons difficult to comprehend and started several more. A bushfire can be a good thing when it’s small and burns in a more controlled manner.” Dante felt his anger building. “I had people near heritage sites to do everything possible to protect them. Steer the flames away, draw them down, even extinguish them if possible. The Earthers tried to reinforce the plants while the Wind Benders did their bit. There wasn’t enough fuckin’ moisture in the air or sources of water nearby to include your kind and that’s why you were overruled. It’s why the Americans fucked up several times.”

“We could have done more.” The Melbourne representative crossed her arms defiantly. “We do command the elements after all.”

“Maybe you should have thought about that while we were discussing the lingering drought before this happened.” Dante took a deep breath and clasped his hands on top of the desk. “The elements still decide when and how we will have control over what we don’t start.”

“Do we know if the American’s engaged with others of us like they thought?” The man from Perth had so far remained quiet.

“In most cases we can confirm they didn’t. There are two instances where it’s possible, but we are unable to verify. Depending on what they tried to do, the problems could have been their own doing. It might also have been one of the eco-warriors we haven’t caught yet. Now, not to sound like an environmentalist, but the humans need to learn there are limits to what the planet can take. Apparently some of our people do as well.

“Narooma may not have been the act of eco-terrorism as we first thought, but the Wind Bender’s actions made a bad situation worse if he initiated a fight.” The red radiance on the camera grew even brighter. “I don’t want there to be a place in this country or on the planet Mr. Elmhirst can hide. I want him found!”

Dante dropped everyone from the meeting except Alice Springs.

“I haven’t heard anything yet regarding my request, Nessus. It’s not like you to take this long to respond.”

“Nothing’s come up yet, Granddad. Since this is family, I want to make fuckin’ sure I get it right.” He leaned forward, letting his dark hair and handsome aboriginal features enter the camera view. “We may be a long way from you, but me and Mum got the plants talking from Perth to Sydney. My people are focusing on his usual areas near coal and gas extraction. We’ll nab the bastard eventually. I promise he won’t become fertilizer until after you’re done with him.” He placed his hand on a sickly-looking Kangaroo Paw flower that was his own creation, bringing it back to its healthy, floral beauty. “This is one of Aunt Mia’s favorites. She really is dead, isn’t she?”

“I’m afraid so. I’ve tried to hold out hope in the absence of physical evidence, but I know it’s her.”

“That fart-in-the-wind we’re lookin’ for is truly the one responsible and not those filthy Yanks?”

“Albert’s trying to convince me to talk to them. They might not be to blame. But a wolf was involved in the death of someone close to me again. I have a hard time looking past that.” A forced smirk formed on Dante’s lips. “I know you well enough you’re just hope they're filthy so you can have a root in the mud with them.”

“Too fuckin’ right, Granddad. Even if they are shifters. Glad I took after you and Dad in being an always-horny flexisexual. Best fuckin’ part of being part torch.” His smile turned grim. “I know you’re asking yourself if the Yanks can be trusted. You’ve always said to stay clear of wolves. Hell, any shifter for that matter.”

“The less we interact with them, the smaller the chance of them finding out about us. I’m trying to set aside a decades old grudge, but it isn’t easy. When I close my eyes I can still see what they did to Mum’s and Dad’s bodies. There’s still days I want to kill any wolf I run across. The ones responsible for my parent’s murder were turned to ash long ago. I still have a difficult time dealing with their kind. I was dating one of the fuckers who did it. He just laughed when he was caught.”

“These blokes weren’t even born when it happened. That pack and its people are gone. Even though I don’t hold a candle to you, I’m the one the others think is dangerous since I got no issue eliminating trouble…” Nessus kept clasping and unclasping his hands with an apparent nervousness. “I’m mates with a bunch of dingoes, Granddad. I have a root every now and then with them and a wolf that hangs with them. They’re good people. Maybe you should give these Seppos a chat.”

“You know I value your counsel as much as Albert’s, or your dad and uncles.”

“Yep, I do. So try to move beyond the past. I know it’s easier for me to say that than you to do it. You know they thought she was trying to burn everything down and only did it to stop the fire. You won’t know what happened to Aunt Mia unless you talk to them.”

“For you, and to hear in their words what happened, I’ll contact them.”

“Give Charlotte a kiss for me. I'll bring one of me flowers after she’s told about her mum. Love ya, Granddad.”

“Talk to you later, kiddo. I love you too.” Dante ended the call.

******

“Hey Aiden, did you see the invite to a video meeting?”

“No, I didn’t, Pup. Who’s it from?”

“Doesn’t say. Only for it to be just us, Darius, and Cody.”

“Probably another fanboy or stalker. Just ignore it.”

“It also says it would be in everyone’s best interest to not ignore this. I guess whoever it is was anticipating your response.”

Aiden walked into their home office and leaned over his mate’s shoulder to read the email for himself. “Weird and mysterious. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to check it out. It happens in just over an hour.” He rubbed his chin.

“I’ll call the guys.”

“Use the spare laptop in case it exposes the computer to a virus. I’d rather not crash that one.”

******

Dante stealthily watched and waited as the men he invited to his video conference logged in. Their reactions brought a measure of enjoyment to him.

“Brandon?” Ethan sounded as shocked as he looked to see the other camera image. “Why the cloak-and-dagger to talk to us?”

“Me? I thought you guys arranged this.”

“It wasn’t us. Hey there.” Aiden waved. “If it wasn’t you, then who?”

Pressing a key to make his presence known, an image showing his chest, hands, and desktop joined the others on the screen. Dante in his usual black suit immediately flicked his thumb to light a cigar. The flame emanating from the digit grew and diminished as he puffed on one of his favorite Cuban brands. He wanted to make sure they knew up front what he was. “Good, I’m glad you all accepted my invitation.”

“A Fire Elemental?” Ethan’s voice registered his shock. “There’s even more of you?”

“You’re correct, Mr. Tucker, I’m a Torch, as we call ourselves.”

“You have an Australian accent. Given what you are, I’m guessing I know what this is about.” Aiden was more controlled in his response and Dante took note of that. “The important question now is, who are you?”

“Aiden Jocobs, a lycan of considerable strength and ability for your age, being an alpha among your kind far earlier than most. A sheriff's deputy, alpha designate at your home in Pennsylvania, co-alpha of Pit River Pack in California, and a Fire Elemental through the miraculous gift from your husband. We’re still trying to understand how that happened.” Dante paused to observe the expressions of the Americans. “You’re mated to Ethan Tucker, formerly Ethan Scott. Holder of the same ranks in both packs, and a wielder of all four elements. Both rare and powerful among our kind and apparently the same with shifters as well. One of two known wolves to emerge as an alpha hybrid during his first shift. The only turnling in your recorded history to become a full alpha. It’s a shame due to your lycanthropy, Mr. Tucker, you’d never be permitted to breed with another Elemental.”

He glanced at the notes on his computer. “Also with you are Mr. Tucker’s beta and enforcer. The solaris lion, Darius McDonnell, and the coyote, Cody Marshal. We can skip the military carriers for both, but they are extensive and impressive.” Dante noted their expressions remained guarded.

“On the other camera we have the firefighter from Southern California that came to our country to assist with our bushfires several months ago. My sincere thanks to you.” The tip of his cigar grew bright before smoke covered his camera’s view. “Brandon Holstrom, abandoned at birth, struggled to find a home with either humans or lycan, eventually adopted by your current pack. You quickly rose through the ranks to become a somewhat unwilling yet effective beta, but you’re an alpha wolf in your own right.” Dante waited for a moment. “Yes, I know who and what each of you is. I find having all available information on people before entering a meeting better allows me to determine if their responses are honest or deceitful. I realize that puts you at a disadvantage here, though not for hostile or nefarious purposes.”

“We’ll have to take your word for that at the moment.” Aiden leaned forward. “Brandon, if we drop off the meeting I suggest you do the same. I don’t trust this guy. He won’t even show his face.”

“That is your prerogative, Mr. Jacobs; however, I believe cooperation might be in everyone’s interest. People whose counsel I value convinced me to reach out to you even though they’re aware it’s rare for me to interact with a shapeshifter due to personal experience. To be blunt, I’ve held a grudge against wolves for a very long time due to something they did.”

“I don’t like this either, but I want to know more about him. He’s the first Elemental we’ve met.” Ethan leaned against Aiden’s chest.

“If you’ve decided to remain, let’s get started.” Dante set his cigar down and rested his hand on the desk in front of him. “An incident took place in Narooma, New South Wales, during the fires that involved all of you. I’ve seen the report you filed with Brody Sampson.” He held up his hands to preemptively silence any response to that news. “No, he didn’t provide it to me and doesn’t know of my existence, but I have my ways.” Dante inhaled from his cigar and held it while letting the others think about what he knew. “I would like to hear from each of you, exactly what happened.” He tapped the ashes off into a crystal dish. “Yes, there are more of us and I know you’re curious. We might discuss that later, but I need to know what happened on that hill.”

“Why should we provide an anonymous man any information?”

“Mr. Jacobs. In your work as a sheriff’s deputy, you investigate crimes. That involves speaking to anyone involved and listening to events from their perspective.”

“Are you saying there was a crime committed?”

“That remains to be scene, though if one was I’m not implying your people are responsible for it. It’s merely an analogy to help you understand the intentions of this meeting.” Dante was pleased when Aiden nodded. “The woman who died was the sister of a very dear friend. I’m trying to ascertain the circumstances of what happened and what led up to her death. I have pieces to the puzzle, but not the full picture. At this stage, it’s unclear if any of you are a cause or simply an effect of external circumstances.” He took another drag on the stogie. “I know the fireman saw someone on the hill and realized what she was. Or believed he did. Also that the lion finished what Mr. Holstrom started with regards to the woman.” He paused briefly. “Finally, that after her death, she turned to a pile of ashes. Mr. McDonnell and the coyote, Mr. Marshal, witnessed this. As fellow Elementals, and the employer for two of the three directly involved, I felt it was important to include you.”

“You seem to have the relevant information, so why discuss this with us?” Darius moved a little closer to his friends.

“Small details that don’t seem important can get left out of reports. A sound, scent, perhaps something you caught a momentary glimpse of. At any rate, the situation might not have been what it first appeared to be. For example, from my standpoint, it seemed you and Mr. Holstrom attacked and killed an Aussie on her home soil. I now believe it’s possible for that to be incorrect. Your perspective as the events unfolded is important to fill in the entire picture. My people are currently hunting the Wind Bender you mentioned in the report.”

“Not what it seemed?” Aiden cocked his head. “She was intensifying the fire alongside the one that ran off. We nearly had it under control until they made it worse. I could feel the flames getting stronger and Ethan lost control of the wind.”

“We have no reason to trust one another, Mr. Jacobs, though we do have a mutual interest in finding the truth regardless if we like that truth or not. The choice is simple. We can discuss what happened that day or we go our separate ways. That will take matters out of my hands though.”

“That almost sounds like a threat.” Aiden crossed his arms.

“It’s merely a fact of my position, Mr. Jacobs.”

“I caught sight of someone on the hill.” Brandon reached for some papers and tapped his fingers on them. “That was a couple hours after Ethan and Aiden lost control of what they were doing.”

“Hours? You’re sure of that?”

“Yeah.” Brandon waited as if expecting a follow-up question. “I kept asking my team lead if there were any fire crews working up in the trees. My beta was ready to pull me off the line to rest, thinking I was hallucinating. Then I saw red eyes. I knew it wasn’t a reflection or anything like that. It matched how Aiden’s eyes looked.” Brandon reclined in his chair. “I remember shifting to my hybrid. I think it was more out of instinct than any set plan. He only comes out when there’s danger or I lose control of my wolf.” He reached for the beer beside him. “When I got closer to her, the wind was bad. Stuff was falling from the trees, and debris was getting blown around like crazy. I don’t know if I planned to attack her, but my wolf knew we had to reach her, stop her I think. She was just standing there in the middle of the flames like they didn’t exist. Then she turn towards me just as I reached her. I tried to protect myself. That’s all I remember. Feet running away, I do remember that too. Everything else is fuzzy until I woke up.”

“I know you just stated this, but just to confirm, your associates losing control of the wind and flames did not immediately precede you racing towards the woman?” Dante glanced at his notes as that piece of information was missing.

“Yep, we had to fall back when things went to hell and it took a while to rest and redeploy. That’s how we ended up on that hill.” Brandon reached behind his head to scratch. “Conditions had improved, but the flames were still raging inside the tree line. We’d moved to the next grid on our map from when the fire exploded.”

“Darius and I chased after Brandon.” Cody ran a finger over his chin scruff appearing to recall the memory. “We stopped briefly to assess what was happening and saw the woman and red eyes just before he let out a howl like I’ve never heard before. It was something beyond agony.”

“We rushed to help. Cody went to Brandon, while I checked the woman. She attempted to crawl away from him. I rolled her over to inspect her injuries. Brandon caught her with his claws just below the neck.” Darius seemed deep in thought. “I don’t believe it was a fatal strike and she might have survived. When the glow started building in her eyes, and seeing what she’d done to Brandon, I didn’t think I had any choice except to kill her. I raked my claws across her throat and she self-cremated on the spot.”

“I believe you said the woman appeared to be in her forties or fifties. Are you sure about that, Mr. McDonnell?”

“It was a guess based on the lighting, the damage Brandon had already caused, lacerations from debris possibly hitting her, and likely the stress of the situation. Plus it was only a matter of seconds between our arrival and her turning to ash. Why?”

“The woman we believe you killed should have looked much younger. Likely in her thirties” Dante pressed a few keys on his computer and a photo of his sister popped up on everyone’s monitor.

“I suppose that could be the woman. What do you think, Darius?”

“It’s possible. Brandon? Cody?”

“I’m not sure. I was too focused on what she did to Bran.”

“You’ve mentioned she did something to Mr. Holstrom. That part was left out of the report I saw. What exactly happened to him? What actions did she take that made you feel killing her was the only option?”

“You don’t need to use my last name all the time. I’m just Brandon.” He wrapped his arms tightly around his chest and his eyes took on a haunted appearance. “She set me on fire. It hurt so bad. Every part of my body at once. I think that would cause anyone to attack. I could feel it before I even opened my claws. At least I think it was before. The memory isn’t clear. I know I jumped to tackle her.”

“Brandon had the worst burns I’ve ever seen on someone. If he’d been human he would have died instantly. I didn’t want her doing that to Cody or me.”

“When they got me to Brandon and I started healing him, I could feel even his organs were burned. Everything inside and out was damaged.” Ethan wiped his eyes at the memory. “If I hadn’t taught myself to be such a strong healer, he wouldn’t have survived. It took me hours just to stabilize him.”

“Ethan’s work had him unconscious for two days.” Aiden’s brows furrowed. “You’re the expert on Elementals, so is that normal after using your gift for that long?”

“So, Mr. McDonnell and Mr. Holstrom– sorry, Brandon, it would appear you were acting in self-defense. You really aren’t at fault.” Dante agitatedly tapped his finger on the desk. “I need to add your information to what my people already have. Thank you for what you’ve provided. I’m sorry to cut this meeting short. I will be in touch in forty-eight hours.”

“Wait one fucking–“ Aiden’s shout was cut off as Dante pressed a button killing the video conference.

 

Copyright © 2023 WolfM; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 32
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 12
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



8 hours ago, RainbowPhoenixWI said:

Am I the only one who had the theme song from "captain planet" stuck in my head through the whole chapter? 

I'm not familiar with the reference, so I'll have to look that up :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwyTAB2Zy_DGCqe24VhmH

Just gathering information?

Trying to solve murder of 'his' Elemental?

Dante helpful?   Puhleeze!

 

 

He is giving some information back while listening to what the others have to say. ;)

  • Love 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..