The Love That Will Finally Speak Its Name

AFriendlyFace

Hi all,

I just read the article The Love That Will Finally Speak Its Name in the My Turn article section of Newsweek, and I thought it was so good that I was going to type it up. Then I thought

1) "That may be against some kind of copyrighting rule", and

2) "I bet I can find it online and link to it"

And look I did!

It's about an 88 year old lesbian who's finally come out. Once again the link is:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20427661/#storyContinued

Let me know what you guys think!

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

This is a lovely article and a well written essay through her life and the changes in views. She felt the desire and freedom to be out and honest with people and I can see how that would be a difficult thing to do for a person who has grown up in the time that she did.

Anyway, thanks for sharing Kevin. :)

Krista

This is a wonderful story.

It's also wonderful that the world is changing, albeit slowly. The teens on this site should be finding that expressing their sexuality is not what it was for Loraine Barr and her partner of 44 years.

Nor was it for me and my partner. We've known each other for 49 years, since we met in college. and we've been life partners living together for the past 36 years, since 1971. Are we out? Yes, to anyone who asks. We don't think that it's important to advertise our relationship. But all of our friends, who are almost all straight couples, know.

It was easier for us than it was for Loraine Barr and her partner. We were born 20 years after Loraine, and that relatively short additional amount time is what made it easier. Imagine how much easier it is today! It might not seem so, but from our perspective it's like the difference between darkness and light. We're registered domestic partners in California. We have had productive working lives, in organizations that were and are accepting of whatever the sexuality that their employees might have. I was able to add my partner to my company medical plan when he was no longer able to work due to an illness. Now we're retired, and enjoying that part of our lives.

The others who posted on this topic prior to this post are from 17 to 23 years old. Just think! When they are my age, 68 years old, from 45 to 51 years from now, they can anticipate something that we all aspire to have: acceptance. I think it will come for them! For YOU! Just continue to good fight, and press for your rights, and for acceptance, always. And good luck!

sungod

Edited by sungod

• Site Administrator

A great article. While it is sad that articles like this are needed, they are needed because they break down the negative stereotypes that too many people still hold about homosexuals.

Even over my own 44 years, I've seen changes in attitudes in society, and I can see the rate of changes accelerating. The negative stereotypes are weakening, but they're still there and we need to work on them. Showing a human side to the world is, I think, what's needed. It's harder to point the finger at someone like Loraine than it is to point the finger at some nebulous conceptional "homosexual".