Right Brain vs Left Brain

She's going both ways. Starts out clockwise, then changes to counter. :blink:

Just so you don't think I'm totally nuts, I've tried this four different times. Same thing each time.

Sharon

I saw the opposite. She started out CCW and changed to CW for me.

BTW, most skaters actually turn CCW, but a small percentage goes CW. No one is really sure what determines it. It's just a myth that lefthanders turn CW. I'm a right-handed CW skater, as is my idol Toller Cranston. I've also heard it's related to eye dominance, which might be true.

It's clockwise!! I was totally distracted by the turning for a while though.....

Of course, I've known I was right-brained for a while. I'm an English and writing freak, and can't to math or anything to save my soul. Sometimes I think I only have the right part of my brain.

My sister is the exact opposite. She's a math wiz!

I can see both, but counter-clockwise is definitely superior to clockwise. I had to concentrate a lot to get her to spin clockwise. I did so by focusing on her feet and thinking to myself, "Ok, when her outstretched foot moves left, it should be in front her axial foot, as opposed to behind it," and it started working when I trained my eyes to see that. Once that was doing I looked up to her ponytail and saw the same clockwise pattern. Unfortunately, her ponytail quickly reversed direction once more went in the more obvious direction, counter-clockwise.

It's kind of odd that I am a left-brainer and left-handed. Although, considering that I am an engineer in training, it's not that surprising that the left side of my brain is more exercised than the right, even though I'm told I'm a talented artist.

• Site Administrator

Okay, I had another look this morning and because the computer was slow, I could make myself see her turning CCW. I then showed it to my six year old and he indicated CCW and then said she changed and started going CW. I looked back and could see CW.

So, both of us saw CW as the main way she turns.

Whether I'm looking directly at her or off to the side, reading the words on the page, she still spins in both directions. She does between ten and twelve revolutions in one direction then changes and does between ten and twelve in the opposite direction. Wash, rinse, repeat... :lol: I've been watching for a good 15 minutes steady and it's the same pattern over and over. Guess that makes me ambidextrous brained. :blink:

Sharon

• Site Administrator
I've been watching for a good 15 minutes steady and it's the same pattern over and over. Guess that makes me ambidextrous brained. :blink:

I'm guessing that means you're bored. 15 minutes watching a simple figure on the computer screen turning? :wacko:

Heh, for the longest time I could only see her rotating clockwise and had no feel for how one would see her moving counterclockwise. I stared at just her feet, one eye at a time, cross-eyed :P --no difference. I finally managed to see counterclockwise rotation by focusing on her non-pivot leg. But while I can see that for maybe one or two rotations before switching back, it frequently looks like she's just swinging her leg back and forth now rather than rotating in a complete circle.

Oh well, I don't put too much stock in it--I already knew I was a bit unsettled (read "crazy") in the head having characteristics of both the right-brained and left-brained--who needs a test for that? :P

I think she's turning clockwise -- and I can't for the life of me see how anyone (let alone most people) see her as turning anti-clockwise.... :blink:

I'm with ya Graeme... totally CW no matter how I look at her -- or how long.

It's a fake. Opened it in ImageReady. It changes direction at frame 25

Nup, its real. You probably just managed to change your perspective around frame 25. I made my sister watch it with me and I made myself see the dancer turning CW but she was still seeing CCW at the same time...

In real life she would soon fall over. Dancers and especially skaters use a method called "spotting" during spins. You focus your eyes on a given point as you turn and then snap your head around to keep facing that way.

If how you perceive this depends upon whether you are right- or left-brained, then when you perceive a change of direction, does it mean that you keep changing from one to the other? I don't think so, so I'm skeptical that it bears any relationship to that topic. I have a half a mind to object.

• Site Administrator
If how you perceive this depends upon whether you are right- or left-brained, then when you perceive a change of direction, does it mean that you keep changing from one to the other? I don't think so, so I'm skeptical that it bears any relationship to that topic. I have a half a mind to object.

:lol:

Seriously, though, most 'tests' on personality and brain activity evaluate the 'normal' or 'average' behaviour. For example, in a management course I did a long time ago, we were told about one method of assessing personalities that used two axis -- introverted->extroverted and task-oriented->people-oriented. The key thing the instructor told us was to look at your behaviour in a stress environment, not in a relaxed environment. When I'm relaxed, I can be extroverted (like I was at that course), but in a stress environment, I'm very introverted. The other students at that course were very surprised when I insisted I'm introverted....

In this case, that fact that I generally see CW movement means I'm using one part of my brain more than the other. For those who can see both easily probably have a more balanced use of their brain. I can, with a lot of effort, NOW make myself see CCW movement, but it's not something that comes easily for me -- I'm not used to using that part of my brain in this context.

Supposedly if you ask someone a question that requires a bit of thought, you can observe which direction they move their eyes while they think, and the opposite direction is their dominant brain hemisphere.

In this case, that fact that I generally see CW movement means I'm using one part of my brain more than the other.

Well, of course she spins the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere, just like the water leaving the tub.

Johnny Carson was extremely introverted, as is David Letterman.

Well, of course she spins the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere, just like the water leaving the tub.

Nup, cos Graeme sees the opposite direction to me... And I've always wondered- y does that water thing happen? Is it something to do with magnetic poles? I don't know why it would be but that's what i imagine...

Edited by writeincode
  • Site Administrator
Nup, cos Graeme sees the opposite direction to me... And I've always wondered- y does that water thing happen? Is it something to do with magnetic poles? I don't know why it would be but that's what i imagine...

The water thing is generally believed to due to the Coriolis Effect. However, as that wikipedia article indicates, this is an urban myth....

PS: My wife can see the image rotating in either direction, though she can see CW most of the time.