Gas Prices

Here's a comparison of gas pricing in Palm Springs and the increases this year. Still a bargain when you consider petrol costs in the U.K. and Europe. I assume Australia is in the same ballpark?

In today's paper, there's also a story about hybrid SUV's coming on the market. GM's tank, the Escalade, will be able to get 18 mpg vs. today's conventional 12 mpg. Whoop-de-doo. As an example of having your cake and eating it too, here's a quote:

"Americans shouldn't have to choose tiny little vehicles to get fuel efficiency. We ought to be able to offer a range of choice while still being sensitive to environmental impact," Mark LaNeve, General Motors Corp.'s vice president of North America sales, service and marketing, said.

GM just doesn't get it. I hope Mr. LaNeve has other career options when the GM goes under because of its antiquated thinking.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They say it's 80 cents cheap then last year at this time. it's about 2.98 right now :/

it was down to 2.40 til a few weeks ago.

B) ...........Just hit $3.00 last week, was hovering around $2.55 before

:P

We pay $8 a gallon... I don't think Ive ever seen it as low as $3!

You ever heard of "lend lease"? Gas is so high in the UK cause the US has an excise tax on your gas to collect (with interest) all the stuff we gave you during WWII. You see all the American Oil companies, (Including BP which is headquartered in TX) bring all the crude oil into the US and refine it here. Than we use liberity ships to take it to you. But the U-boats sink most of them. Then only way to stop this it to dump all your gas into the Harbor (IE boston tea party) and bankrupt all the US oil companys. :D
Currently 1.504 Euros per liter (for super plus) which is $ 8.30 per gallon. :wacko:

Tob

B) ........ :( ......I feel badly for bitching about gas going up to $3.00 after seeing what you guys posted. BTW, I hear its around $0.25 a gallon in Kuwait

• Site Administrator

Prices went up today -- the normal weekly cycle. I'll use AUD$1.349 per litre for my calculation, but I think some places are more than that.

Litres -> US Gallons: AUD$5.107 per US gallon

AUD -> USD (using AUD$1 = USD$0.9005): USD$4.60 per gallon

hey lucky boys :P

What would you say if you had to pay the gas price we have here :

1.90 CHF per Lit, that means 6.40 USdol/USgallon !

At this price, my car (an old VW burning about 4 USgallons per 100 km) remains in its garage :lol: .

Okay...Here the price of one litre (0.2647 US gallons and 0.21997 UK gallons) is Rs. 50!!

In actual dollar terms it comes out to be approx 1.4 dollars. But in PPP terms that amount equals to approx 30 dollars.

That means what y'all can buy in 30 dollars can be bought in Rs. 50 here.

In gallons (US), the cost for 1 gallon of petrol (gas) is 4.85 U.S dollars.

BeaStKid :)

Okay...Here the price of one litre (0.2647 US gallons and 0.21997 UK gallons) is Rs. 50!!

In actual dollar terms it comes out to be approx 1.4 dollars. But in PPP terms that amount equals to approx 30 dollars.

That means what y'all can buy in 30 dollars can be bought in Rs. 50 here.

In gallons (US), the cost for 1 gallon of petrol (gas) is 4.85 U.S dollars.

BeaStKid :)

:wacko: ........so you mean in US dollars the cost of a gallon of gas in your country is $4.85

People complain and complain all the time. Oil is gonna run out in twenty years anyway lol. Plus, the high prices are all cus the gas companies are just compensating for the prices of crude oil, which is bs none the less, i think they could spare to lose an extra billion a year. I mean its not the only billion they have.

but its like 3.19 here in michigan

• Site Administrator
:wacko: ........so you mean in US dollars the cost of a gallon of gas in your country is $4.85

A little bit more than Australia, but not be a lot. Europe, as other have indicated, is a lot more expensive.

Australia has the advantage that we have our own oil fields. The problem is that the oil companies have successfully argued with the government that unless they can charge world prices, they'll just ship the oil to Singapore and sell it there because they'll make more money that way. This means that we pay world prices, even though it should, in theory, be a lot cheaper here (like in close to USA prices).

A little bit more than Australia, but not be a lot. Europe, as other have indicated, is a lot more expensive.

Australia has the advantage that we have our own oil fields. The problem is that the oil companies have successfully argued with the government that unless they can charge world prices, they'll just ship the oil to Singapore and sell it there because they'll make more money that way. This means that we pay world prices, even though it should, in theory, be a lot cheaper here (like in close to USA prices).

B) ...........The political parties that be in our country will not allow our oil companies to drill for oil, Anwar (I believe that is the correct name) in Alaska holds a field as large as Saudia Arabia's. But from what your saying, even though we could be dependent from the Mid-East, we would still have to yield to World market price.

• Site Administrator
B) ...........The political parties that be in our country will not allow our oil companies to drill for oil, Anwar (I believe that is the correct name) in Alaska holds a field as large as Saudia Arabia's. But from what your saying, even though we could be dependent from the Mid-East, we would still have to yield to World market price.

Possibly, but the political situation in the USA is different to Australia. We're a small player, and the government has less say over the fuel prices (having said that, I believe something like 40% of the price is taxes and excise...). In the USA, it would be a battle between "the market" philosophy, where the market decides what you should pay, and which could end up being just a bit below world prices, and political reality where the government realises that allowing prices to go up too much too quickly would be political suicide. Of course, the USA is also the world-leading proponent on free-markets, so who knows....

The Ironic part here is that In Scotland we have out very own oil fields... yet we still pay $8USD+ per gallon, the majority of the value we pay goes to Gordon Brown and his Government in taxes.

I remember a few years ago when we had protests out side the refineries here.. the whole country came to a standstill, it was kinda fun.. almost a premonition of the future, if we don't work out an alternative to oil.

The Ironic part here is that In Scotland we have out very own oil fields... yet we still pay $8USD+ per gallon, the majority of the value we pay goes to Gordon Brown and his Government in taxes.

I remember a few years ago when we had protests out side the refineries here.. the whole country came to a standstill, it was kinda fun.. almost a premonition of the future, if we don't work out an alternative to oil.

B) ..........As much as I would love to alternate energy source, I don't believe it will be any cheaper

B) ..........As much as I would love to alternate energy source, I don't believe it will be any cheaper

Well given that oil supplies will eventually run out. It would seem we'll need to find an alternative however costly.

Well given that oil supplies will eventually run out. It would seem we'll need to find an alternative however costly.

B) .............But of course, that's not what I intended to say. I meant even if we could produce cheap alternative energy, somebodys gonna control its price. Imagine 30 years from now, bitching about the price of hydrogen :wacko:

B) .............But of course, that's not what I intended to say. I meant even if we could produce cheap alternative energy, somebodys gonna control its price. Imagine 30 years from now, bitching about the price of hydrogen :wacko:

So true! And even then we'll be complaining that the government is taxing us too high for using it!

• Site Administrator

Talk to rknapp. He's keen to work on alternative energy sources, and he's got a vested interested in making sure they'll be cheap to run (given his mania for cars) :P

Talk to rknapp. He's keen to work on alternative energy sources, and he's got a vested interested in making sure they'll be cheap to run (given his mania for cars) :P

B) ......Actually, a few years ago, I lived well outside the city limits, on a 5-acre parcel with no power and a well. We used a 20 KW generator that thru an invertor charged a bank of batteries that provided 12-14 hours of power to our modest home (double-wide trailer). I proudly added a wind generator, hoping it would be enough maintain the battery charge while we slept at night. DON'T ever get the small wind generator!!

In the middle of the night, if the wind blew over 15 miles an hour the noise was horrendus, it was so loud that it sounded like a propeller plane was landing outside my door :wacko: and this thing was located over a hundred yards from the house. It was no fun, being awaken at 2:30 am, trudging thru rain, sleet or snow (Yes, I lived up the mountain) to turn off this wonderful device. Why it didn't have it's own kill-switch is beyond me, I think I paid a thousand for it back then

Edited by Benji

Canada also has large oil reserves (second only to Saudi Arabia). Here's a little bit of trivia (or ammo) for you... when people in the U.S talk their dependence on imported oil, most are thinking of the middle east but the bulk of the U.S. oil imports are from Canada. And yes, we pay world prices too.

I filled up today in central Canada for 1.047 Cdn$ per litre. With the Cdn$ being only slight more (never thought I'd live to see the day :P ) than the U.S. Greenback that means we pay about $4.00 a U.S Gallon... the bulk of the price is government taxes (about 58%). Even though all our federal and provincial governments are running big budget surpluses they are considering raising taxes on fuels again and using the money to provide funding for efficiency improvements.

Someone earlier asked how you do it, well look at the top selling cars in Canada... Civic, Corolla, Focus & Cobalt and I bet I see 2-3 SMART cars a day now on the way to work and they've only been available for 2 years.

BTW, all the fights about what the fuel efficiency standards should be in the US... they should follow the approach that Canada & the EU happened upon... the more you raise fuel taxes, the more fuel efficient cars people will drive.

Steve