Sexy accents

Tiger

Sexy Accents  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What is the sexiest accent on the planet?

• French
    • Italian
    • Spanish
    • Irish
    • German
    • Indian
    • Other (Please specify in the forum)

I've been told that some people can spot a difference in accent across the country, but I've never been able to do it. Of course, I also have trouble telling a New Zealand accent, so maybe that's not surprising....

Rather than crude and unsophisticated, I like to think of the Aussie accent as being young and unpretentious. I'm not disagreeing, just putting it in more positive terms :P

Even I can easily identify the accents that are there in India... There is the South Indian (Tamil, Telugu, Malyalam, Oriya) accent, the Bengali accent, the east Indian, the Rajasthani, the Pathani (J&K) and the tradition Punjabi!!!! :P:P

By far I find the Punjabi accent of English the funniest!!! :lol:

btw, the south indians pronounce the letters 'm' as 'yem' and 'n' as 'yen' ... :lol: I love these accents.. :)

BeaStKid16.gif

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to beat a Norse accent (Norway, Sweeden, Denmark) for a sexy accent. Shame on you for forgetting to list them.

Accents from some American Indian tribes are quite sexy.

The German accent is kinda scary- they can say good morning but it sounds so harsh, he could also be saying run away from my BMW panzer like a dog!

The English and Aussie accents can be very sexy depending on who is speaking of course. :lol:

I've been told that some people can spot a difference in accent across the country, but I've never been able to do it. Of course, I also have trouble telling a New Zealand accent, so maybe that's not surprising....

Rather than crude and unsophisticated, I like to think of the Aussie accent as being young and unpretentious. I'm not disagreeing, just putting it in more positive terms :P

Well that certainly is an interesting spin on it Graeme :P

I've noticed some subtleties in accent change when speaking to Victorians and Queenslanders before, and you must surely be JOKING about the Kiwi accent, can spot it a mile away, all a's are i's and i's are o's B)

• Site Administrator
I've noticed some subtleties in accent change when speaking to Victorians and Queenslanders before, and you must surely be JOKING about the Kiwi accent, can spot it a mile away, all a's are i's and i's are o's B)

Alas, no... I really do have trouble spotting a Kiwi accent. And I thought the NZ accent swapped the 'i' and 'e' sounds (hence why 'six' sounds like 'sex').

On a related note, when I was in the UK, I was told I had the least accent of any of the Australians who had worked at the office. This implies I've got an English accent -- something reinforced when I was asked in the USA one time if I came from England.

i voted "other"..

i love the Australian accent (winks at Graeme) - especially the Queenslandish (which i usually don't understand a single word - *lol*) - and i think British accents are rather sexy too :-p

Queensland :blink: . . Is that like the gay area of Australia, just like Boystown in Chicago?

Queensland is in northeastern Australia. The Gold Coast is in Queensland. ;)

I believe Sydney is the self-professed gay capital of the southern hemisphere, Queensland gay? HAH, more like redneck central ;)

(I kid I kid Queenslanders, but many aren't exactly tolerant, I think it's the rugby ;) )

Queensland is "the Sunshine State" of Australia, even though Western Australia I believe recieves far more sunshine (a few major deserts), ironic given the torrential flooding they are experiencing at the moment.

I believe Sydney is the self-professed gay capital of the southern hemisphere,

There is another contender, Rio de Janeiro. Their version of Mardi Gras, Carnival, is a giant party for the gay community. ;)

I picked Irish. I like brogue. It just sounds so manly without being too overpowering, like German. :P Did I mention that I love gaelic languages? ;)

French, I love french. French is the language of love (at least the romantic side, heh) But french-accented english? Nah. I'm planning to learn french soon, since one of my brothers-in-law is Belgian.

Spanish and Italian. Personally, I find them similar. Should also be lumped together with Portuguese and South American, imho. Again, another of the language of love, this one the more passionate side. Heh. I love spanish, and I wish to learn more about it, to the point that I can speak it fluently. ;) I just don't have the time. Spanish accented english? Nah again. I love the language, but it's accent doesn't translate well into english.

German. I don't like germanic accents. ;P Sounds too harsh for me.

Indian. Hm. no. LOL. I do hope BSK and Ieshyboy don't have accents. :lmao: I find it stereotypical and amusing, honestly.

So my top accents:

1) Irish/Scottish/Welsh

2) NO ACCENT AT ALL

3) British (I dunno, the 'street' kind. Not the highfalutin' Hugh Grant one. :P )

4) Russian and Australian tied. :P

On top of the accents I hate the most are almost all american accents. LOL. The twangy 'hick' accent and the drawly southern ones especially. It just irritates the hell out of me. :P I also don't like german, dutch, and asian accents.

I find the Jamaican accent beautiful, but not sexy. :P African-American, there's something umm... soulful about it. :P What do you call it? um... jive? But if I hear white people try to imitate it... ugh. A fad quite common with the rise of Eminem (I believe Weird Al Yankovich calls them Wiggas, heh). I love African chorus/chant songs as much as I love Gaelic bagpipes and Spanish ballads. ;) But I think modern rap is crap. :P

For women, I like women with british accents. It just sounds so sexy. :D Also slavic accents, including Russian and Icelandic. Especially coming from femme fatale types. :P Don't get me wrong! I'm exclusively gay! :lmao: (at least i think so...). But I know it when women can be sexy. ;)

Filipinos who are fluent at english, have no accent at all. Everything is spoken by the book. There's usually just the problems with pronunciation, especially unfamiliar words. It's usually very common here to discriminate someone based on how they speak english. heh. And I guess it's true. The level of your education/intelligence shows by how fluently we speak English here.

I've heard some weird things though. Most filipinos with low education confuse certain consonants (b<->v, f<->p, j<->z) and totally mangle the vowels, LOL (i<->e, o<->u). It sounds hilarious, especially when you hear it over karaoke. "I loost mai unlee position!" (i.e. I lost my only possession).

But basically... no accent. So it's kind of a surprise for most of us to know that most people we'd expect to have perfect english speak it far less by the book than we do.

Indian. Hm. no. LOL. I do hope BSK and Ieshyboy don't have accents. :lmao: I find it stereotypical and amusing, honestly.

What do you mean no accent?! There's always an accent, except for the person who's speaking it. :) So while you may not find any accent in a fellow Phillipino, you may find a big accent in an Indian!! :P

OMG, I love Brazilians. There's something I've heard about them. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say it. hehe

Does it have to do with... shoe size? I can vouch for it :P Brazilian boyfriend for 8 months...

Does it have to do with... shoe size? I can vouch for it :P Brazilian boyfriend for 8 months...

Yes, it is my understanding that they have huge shoe sizes. I should travel to Brazil and make my own personal confirmation. :D

B) .............I was going for Irish & British, Aussie.....But I was rather surprised that Irish was in 2nd place in this poll. Whats with the shoe size? :P Edited by Benji

B) .............I was going for Irish & British, Aussie.....But I was rather surprised that Irish was in 2nd place in this poll. Whats with the shoe size? :P

I'm still surprised that more people did not choose Spanish. I am a fan of Latin heat. I always have been, and I always will be. Latins have a way of sneaking into my writing. :wub:

There are so many sexy accents. Aussie, British, and Irish are within my top 10 behind Spanish and French. B)

Interesting Hylas, I've found that many of the Filipino I know actually have fairly Americanised accents, although as you said many are quite neutral, with a hint of asian if that makes any sense ;)

And tlwritingtiger, Sydney is also quite renowned for it's mardi gras, but from what I've seen can't compete with Rio for sheer size, however Sydney does have quite an impressive "Gay district" with many nightclubs and bars, perhaps a Sydneysider can back me up?

Edited by Zapp

I'm still surprised that more people did not choose Spanish. I am a fan of Latin heat. I always have been, and I always will be. Latins have a way of sneaking into my writing. :wub:

There are so many sexy accents. Aussie, British, and Irish are within my top 10 behind Spanish and French. B)

hehe good, so at least French is in your top 10 and before the british and aussie one :P

• Site Administrator
Interesting Hylas, I've found that many of the Filipino I know actually have fairly Americanised accents, although as you said many are quite neutral, with a hint of asian if that makes any sense ;)

I've also met a number of German's with American accents. My understanding is that they were taught English by American teachers, and picked up the accent in the process.

And tlwritingtiger, Sydney is also quite renowned for it's mardi gras, but from what I've seen can't compete with Rio for sheer size, however Sydney does have quite an impressive "Gay district" with many nightclubs and bars, perhaps a Sydneysider can back me up?

I'm not from Sydney, but yes, Sydney's "gay district" is fairly large (though not huge). It runs along Oxford Street, just outside of the centre of town. There are a number of nightclubs and bars there, though I haven't been in any of them.

I have found the same thing with German's Graeme, since i have family there whenever I visit I'm always astounded to find that most can speak English almost better than I.

I have found the same thing with German's Graeme, since i have family there whenever I visit I'm always astounded to find that most can speak English almost better than I.

Well, as most of the rest of the world doesnt speak german, we dont have much choice.. we just need to learn a foreign language, and english usually is the first one they teach us in school starting at 5th grade ;-).

My english teacher back in school was rather disappointed when i picked up (after spending some time with american soldiers in summer) a slight american accent.. at least she said i had one, and she didn't like it at all - back then it was strictly "oxford" they tried to teach us at school.

I could imagine that nowadays some teachers do have an american accent that they pass on, as it is much more common for people to go to the US for a semester or 2 while they study (like i did...).

I think the Scandinavians are even better with english though...

Well, as most of the rest of the world doesnt speak german, we dont have much choice.. we just need to learn a foreign language, and english usually is the first one they teach us in school starting at 5th grade ;-).

My english teacher back in school was rather disappointed when i picked up (after spending some time with american soldiers in summer) a slight american accent.. at least she said i had one, and she didn't like it at all - back then it was strictly "oxford" they tried to teach us at school.

I could imagine that nowadays some teachers do have an american accent that they pass on, as it is much more common for people to go to the US for a semester or 2 while they study (like i did...).

I think the Scandinavians are even better with english though...

B) .........You know that could be very funny, :P let's say that American soldier you were with were from Brooklyn, NY..........or..... Mississippi.........talk about diverse accents :P

Edited by Benji

B) .........You know that could be very funny, :P let's say that American soldier you were with were from Brooklyn, NY..........or..... Mississippi.........talk about diverse accents :P

haha, as far as i remember they were southerners with a rather strong accent.. thats prolly why i picked some of it up talking to them.. but i am sure i lost that over the years again. If i picked up an accent (other then the obvious german one that i think still shines through, especially if i haven't been talking much english for a while), then its very likely more the "Bostonian" one, as i was living/working in Boston for 6 month while i was studying... but that was long enough ago that the german accent has taken over again ;-)