My first major project (well, second...)

Hey, all,

Well, I figure now's a good time to start talking about this, since I think it's actually starting to take shape.

Almost a month ago, I started working on a new fiction book which is intended to become a new gay murder mystery series. Tenetaively, the first book is called "Afterglow". In one month, I have gone from the first initial idea of the main character, Morgan Hathaway, to a completed first draft of the stepsheet/outline. The basic story line is about a gay paranormal investigator who is trying to solve the murder of a psychic. Most of the characters are trying to deal with their past, be it prison, murder, or denying their true self, which brings plenty of twists and turns into the mix. Although the majority of the characters are gay and it is set in a small town, their sexuality doesn't rule their lives entirely. None of them are the stereotypical flambouyant queens too many books have.

So far, I've sent out the outline to a few people I trust to give me honest reviews and critiques. My sister responded only today (yes, I know she's family and family is generally biased, but my sister is a copy-editor and avid reader of mysteries and mainstream novels.) I was surpried at her response: good flow, good storyline, a few parts that need more work to give meaning to the characters coming into the story, and a few loose ends. She said overall it's great and reminded her of Diane Mott Davidson, one of her favorite mystery writers. She was also impressed to see a gay main character who was so real and unique. In closing, she told me I was "tapping into a new genre."

I'm waiting to hear back from a few other people on their comments and reviews before i edit the stepsheet and start writing, though I have started the first chapter and a few sections of dialogue from later chapters. I'm hoping to start writing the book full-force by the end of the week, giving myself a tentative deadline of 2 months for a completed first draft. I have basic ideas for 5 follow-up mysteries involvingthe same character, so I'm very confident that this could become something great.

As i get everything figured out and started, I'll start to post parts of it on here. Any comments, questions, or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Ken

Edited by moonspenders