Multiple Languages

JSmith

Math as in Mathematics? :unsure:

But how you speak it? *confused*

Ieshwar

Well, math has its own language. There's sine, cosine, tangent, etc for trig, and don't get me started on calc! And of course

Edited by Tarin

I delight in having a somewhat impressive mastery of English, and I can speak enough French that I could survive for a while if dumped into the midst of a francophone country. Other than that, my French isn't really all that good. It's broken, somewhat overly proper, and mispronounced so badly that I doubt any native speakers could understand me easily. :P

Let's not even start on Spanish. Yo quiero Taco Bell (spelling?) is about as much as I know, lol. For some reason, I just detest the Spanish language.

I must say though that I really do like learning about different languages, and if I could do something entirely useless with my time I would learn the random languages that interest me. :D

Also, what's not to love about French? It's the most awesome language, hehe. I mean, what other language has so many beautiful ways to say things? In French, a word does not "mean" anything. It "wants to say" something. :) Things like that give the words so much more personality and possibility for interpretation.

I can speak, write and read in french as it is my mother's tongue :) and I can do it in english as well since I learned english growing up and spent a whole summer in Vancouver, Calgary and a whole other bunch of cities :D . I am also learning Braille, as for any other languages I know some sentences in spanish and italian since they are related to french a bit but don't ask me to write any and not make any spelling mistakes :P or speak it for that matter as it is real basics stuff

as for the international forum... it is already international since we're form all over the world.

that's my take

Moonwolf

Well, math has its own language. There's sine, cosine, tangent, etc for trig, and don't get me started on calc! And of course the basics + - * /, and then Arabic numbers so we're counting 1 2 3... not ichi ni san [yeah, insert the Japanese numerals there]...

Then there's the symbols that mean a whole sentence when read aloud! Hehe.

Math is...I was going to say fun, but no matter how far I get in math I only get more annoyed. *shrug*

Edit: Yay typos!

Not to mention various other symbols representing such sentence constructive terms as, "therefore,""such that,""there exists," etc. Open a calculus intensive book (such as CALCULUS Eighth Edition by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards, which is the extended version of Calculus of a Single Variable, Eighth Edition, by Larson Hostetler, and Edwards).

Physics books are very much the same way, particularly my Physics III book, Modern Physics, 2nd Edition, by Randy Harris.

Not to mention various other symbols representing such sentence constructive terms as, "therefore,""such that,""there exists," etc. Open a calculus intensive book (such as CALCULUS Eighth Edition by Larson, Hostetler, and Edwards, which is the extended version of Calculus of a Single Variable, Eighth Edition, by Larson Hostetler, and Edwards).

Physics books are very much the same way, particularly my Physics III book, Modern Physics, 2nd Edition, by Randy Harris.

lol, thats probably because math is the language for physics :P

my physics prof used to say that math is a "helper science for physics" ... my math prof would NOT agree to that though ;)

I'd not say anybody really "speaks" math.. but its a "written" language - like computer programming languages. I have written thick books using those, which can be kinda fun, but reading that is VERY boring ;)

Edited by YaP

I live in Quebec at this moment, so I have to speak French. My roommates are francophones, so I have to use French, though we use English sometimes. Usually when I am out of my apartment and not near my close friends, I use French over English as much as I can as a sign of effort to be part of the society. At school, four of five classes are done in French, so I have to use it in those classes.

So yeah, I've been learning French for over seven years now. It's my life goal to be fluent at it.

I know some Icelandic, Vietnamese, German, Catalan, Swedish, and Spanish to some degree. I probably speak Catalan and German better than any of those mentioned languages. I could write well in Hebrew, Greek, and Cyrillic alphabets, but not the languages that use them.

Pour le moment, je vis au Qu

• 1 year later...

Well, fluent in Spanish and English, and decently fluent in French. Um, I do think an international forum would be interesting because then we can exchange info on how to talk dirty in different languages. So yeah, go international forum!!!!!!

Me sorprende que no descubri este tema anteriormente!! Mea Culpa!! And No, as everyone has said, I don't see why a non English speaking (does that include reading?) person would come in here to read our stories. Why do I ask if it includes reading? I can read French pretty well but not write it let alone speak it. I've been teaching myself. Besides French has a lot of words similar to English and Spanish. That's my story and I'm sticking with it :P If someone who is non English speaking want to join and chat, well, yeah, I'm game with that but to start a forum? No.

I'm not fluent in anything unfortunately but at the moment I'm in japan studying (shock) japanese. Aside from that I know the basics in a few european languages; french, german and italian. I used to know lots of french however have forgotten most of it due to lack of practice. I think if I were to look at a textbook for a couple hours it'd all come back to me.

I'd love to know fluently: Japanese (obviously), French, Various Sign Languages, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, German. Not asking too much there am I?

I think the one thing that would be a benefit of an international forum would be an outlet for those studying langauges to practice them however like most people said, it's probably not in high demand.

English, Pascal, C, FORTRAN, COBOL, Mathematica and Math through DE.

Oh and just enough assembler language to get by on most processors.

I am bi-measurements: just as inept in English units as I am in Metric. :P

I think an internationall forum would be very interesting. Not sure if it would have much of an audience but I'd probably give it a go.

Besides English I can speak portuguese, spanish, french (I understand it but probably couldn't keep a conversation for too long) and german (lack of praxis is murdering it into almost non-existance).

I know Spanish im not very fluent with it and I can pick it up here and there but ive been thinking of taking other language classes. Back in HS I did it because I had to and yeah didnt really put forth my best. And I wanna do it now.

But if you made one id try to learn languages just to pick it up and get better at it but thats IMO.

Think about it... the benefits of learning Spanish... I work for the PD and Sheriff's office when needed to interpret. I charge them $40 an hour with a minimum of 1 hour. Just the other day I spent 15 minutes with an officer on the side of the road... The easiest $40 I've ever made. Now, I'm moving to Greensboro and found out they are in desperate need of interpreters, they don't have ANY!!!! *chi-ching*!!$$!!

• Like 1

Think about it... the benefits of learning Spanish... I work for the PD and Sheriff's office when needed to interpret. I charge them $40 an hour with a minimum of 1 hour. Just the other day I spent 15 minutes with an officer on the side of the road... The easiest $40 I've ever made. Now, I'm moving to Greensboro and found out they are in desperate need of interpreters, they don't have ANY!!!! *chi-ching*!!$$!!

Wow! That's disturbing! NO Spanish speaking officers! In the 21st century in the US of A? For better and worse, we've become a bilingual nation.

I speak "espa

It is a common fact that gays have a huge knack for languages. I speak from personal experience.

i am interested in this because i've noticed it. any guesses why?

some say that our verbal ability is more like females... but i don't know that many girls who have a faculty for language like all the gays i've seen.

i wonder if it has something to do with looking for double meanings in what people say to try to tell if they're gay, or changing speech patterns to pass for 'straight.'

it's as if we're always practicing language anyway.

That's quite a bit of stereotyping. Being gay makes you better at languages? I have yet to see any empirical evidence of that, only the anecdotal evidence mentioned in this thread. If anyone has seen any studies on that, please share them. I'd be interested to see them.

I'd like to read studies about it and maybe answer why I see gays more often in language classes, on a language forum, and in my translation courses than any of the other courses.

Yeah, but you live in Canada. What else is there to do besides shoveling snow and watching hockey games? biggrin.gif

*ducks*

Do not make me run you over with this during a weekly snow removal machine.

MVC-793F.jpg

I could just make erm... a slip on a wheel and mow you under.

*fires a hockey puck to your living room window aiming at your head*

Edited by Jack Frost

Well, I've taken 4 years worth of Latin (thanks to the gracious Catholic Church, lol), so I can translate (sort of), but can't write it to save my life. I also have an incredibly basic understanding of Spanish, but don't use it much since no one speaks Spanish around here. I'd like to learn another language, but I'm not very good at them.