Do you kiss your friends?

AFriendlyFace

Do you kiss your friends?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. When greeting or saying goodbye to a friend do you kiss him/her?

• Yes, I always insist on this
    • Yes, if it's someone I'm close with
    • Yes, if they look like they want/expect a kiss
    • Yes, if they look like they want/expect a kiss AND I'm close with them
    • No, but I'd like to start
    • No, that's just weird

I've merged these two threads.

-Kevin

That was a good idea. Thanks! I thought I would point him in the direction of this thread. I had to find it again.

• 4 months later...
So, I have been thinking about this off and on since the incident (and perhaps a view others) and I don't know if no one had an opinion or what, but I really wanted to hear from someone a little more objective. Thanks!

A good rule of thumb is that if you think it's inappropriate, it probably is. Also, if you think your s/o would misinterpret the kisses if he or she actually saw the kiss, then it's probably best not to do it. Obviously, others thought it looked as though it was not innocent which probably means you should tone it down a bit. That's just my opinion though.

As a few others have mentioned, the double-cheek kiss is the most common greeting here in Montreal, at least between a man and a woman, or two women. (Not so often between two men). It's pretty much the equivalent of a handshake, so yeah, I do it all the time. It doesn't mean anything other than a greeting, and is the usual practice among business acquaintances as well as friends. Actually, it leads to some awkward situations sometimes when I travel for business and I forget I'm supposed to shake hands, instead. *lol*

With close friends, I'll usually hug as well as kiss on the cheek, because, as I mentioned, the double-cheek kiss is kind of perfunctory; a hug indicates affection.

I said 'no' simply because having someone in my personal space is unnerving. I try to follow the adage 'do unto others' so I don't do what I don't want them to do.

If it were my SO, I would hope I'd have a different outlook. As it stands right now I don't find the idea appealing.

I personally don't kiss for a greeting, but some people do and it usually catches me off guard like other people have said. I hug my close friends alot of the time but not kiss on the cheek. but there are some from my uni who kiss as a greeting, and for them its courteous between semi friends, and I come away looking either rude or as if Ive been brought up without manners, or thats how they make me feel alittle. it was generally the posher lot who did it as a matter of course, so makes me think they've been brought up that way. the other time i was caught completely of guard was by someone I dated very briefly who wanted a kiss on both cheeks greeting, and I was feeling awkward already so yep fumbled it. other than that, some of my mums friends who've known me since i grew up expect a kiss whenever I see them.

so its a mixed thing, usually not but I'm getting more used to it, before it was abit daunting. think its practice.

celia

• 2 weeks later...

My mum's greek so it's kind of a given... especially when visiting distant relatives, the double cheeked kiss as a form of greeting is must. When i was younger it used to scare the hell out of me though lol.

Even now when it's someone I don't know very well I can be unsure and make a fool out of myself...

I'm even worse in the dating situation though... I once ended up with a slight nose bleed and a devasted ego... he moved into kiss me... i thought he was just hugging me goodbye... it was horrid

as for the kissing friends... well me and a few of my girl mates have ended up drunk kissing in clubs... new years was probably the funniest... we agreed that if we didnt pull before 12 we'd kiss each other... the clock stuck 12 we kissed and tehn some guy i'd been making eyes at all evening gave me a scowl... woops

:hug:

Awww you poor thing!

LOL, it seems like being confused over whether it's a kiss or a hug is an almost universal part of the human experience! (at least in this thread anyway) What ashame that people didn't also develop the custom of saying what they are about to do.

"I'm going to hug you now."

"I'm going to kiss you on the cheek"

"I'm going to kiss you on the mouth"

We'd all be ready! No more embarrassing fumbles with two different expectations! Of course it would sound silly to us as is, but if it were standard to just casually narrate the action while performing it maybe we wouldn't think anything of it :boy:

:hug:

Awww you poor thing!

LOL, it seems like being confused over whether it's a kiss or a hug is an almost universal part of the human experience! (at least in this thread anyway) What ashame that people didn't also develop the custom of saying what they are about to do.

"I'm going to hug you now."

"I'm going to kiss you on the cheek"

"I'm going to kiss you on the mouth"

We'd all be ready! No more embarrassing fumbles with two different expectations! Of course it would sound silly to us as is, but if it were standard to just casually narrate the action while performing it maybe we wouldn't think anything of it :boy:

What would make it easier is if people had like a code...

"I'm going to kiss you on the cheek in a friendly manner" = tilting the head to the right

"I'm going to full on make out with you cos i want you in my bed" = tilting the head to the left

pretty simple... unless of course you get your lefts and rights confused... in which case it'd be worse...

woops lol :wacko:

I guess were all forever doomed to embarressing fumbling and headbanging... not in the slipknot kinda way... :(

• 6 months later...

Americans are such prudes! I kiss all of my friends and family members, regardless of sex or location when I meet them. -and we're talking lips here.

I come from a large, demonstrative family so intimacy never frightened me to begin with. I guess I attracted and gravitated toward people of like mind since most everyone I know is the same way. I even kiss my straight male friends on the lips. There were a few that had to get used to it but they now know if they DON'T kiss me, there will be a BIG scene made...

Am not gonna go up to a stranger & lay 1 on them as a greeting, cute or not :D

But all the guys & girls I'm close to, including the straight ones, yeah they get a kiss on greeting. Never known it to be any different.

• 3 months later...

I am a very tactile person. All my friends know this so they expect it. I alway precede and end a visit with a hug and a kiss. Most of my friends are the same anyway.

I also hug strangers quite a lot, not randomly I hasten to add. They seem to like it. :)