Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let The Music Play CH 24: Checkout Time

That sounds like The Scar is going to buying Eric some drinks.... Will it be anything more than that, though? CJ is notorious about having non-obvious chapter title interpretations.

Only sometimes. About half the time, they are the obvious choice. :P

But really, all my chapter titles fit... Remember "The Kiss?" well, it was a kiss, and in Rome, yet!

Heh, BTW, when I was there a couple of months ago (after that chapter had been written and posted) I sought out that very spot in Piazza Navona. The fountain, unfortunatly for me, is under renovations so surrounded in scaffolding, but it was fin to stand on that spot. I hadn't been there in ten years, and I was happy that there was, indeed, a small hotel in the od the ajoining buildings. Just a typical Rome dozen-room hotel, a small entry door and a tiny lobby, but it fit the story ok (even if the hotel was much smaller than I'd envisioned). I had no idea if there was really one there when i wrote "the Kiss". :)

BTW, the numbering system they use for the few similar places I've stayed in Rome is the first diget is the floor number, and the second the room number. The layout is often just a single staircase, with a few rooms (sometimes just two or three) in each floor. That's how you have a hotel in a slice of building that might only be twenty feet wide.

Anyway, I try and make about half my chapter names the obvious choice. The other half? Well, they fit, after you have read the chapter. Or at least I hope so.

Not that I'd ever intentionally mislead, of course. 0:)

I also don't see what everyone is so worried about.. Jerry just wants to buy Eric a few drinks. Eric will like that, and Jerry will like that. Who knows, maybe they will become friends?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only sometimes. About half the time, they are the obvious choice. :P

....I was happy that there was, indeed, a small hotel in the od the ajoining buildings. Just a typical Rome dozen-room hotel, a small entry door and a tiny lobby,....

BTW, the numbering system they use for the few similar places I've stayed in Rome is the first diget is the floor number, and the second the room number. The layout is often just a single staircase, with a few rooms (sometimes just two or three) in each floor. That's how you have a hotel in a slice of building that might only be twenty feet wide.

If you like small hotels, which abound in Europe, I can personally recommend the Soggiorno Battistero in Florence -- five rooms on the fourth floor (walk up) -- with a great view of the Baptistery. If you like narrow hotels, there is the Hotel Clementin in Prague which is almost eleven feet wide -- only three of the nine rooms are in the original building facing the street, but there is an elevator (tiny) and the Charles Bridge is just around the corner.

These are both very romantic locations. :whistle:

If you like small hotels, which abound in Europe, I can personally recommend the Soggiorno Battistero in Florence -- five rooms on the fourth floor (walk up) -- with a great view of the Baptistery. If you like narrow hotels, there is the Hotel Clementin in Prague which is almost eleven feet wide -- only three of the nine rooms are in the original building facing the street, but there is an elevator (tiny) and the Charles Bridge is just around the corner.

These are both very romantic locations. :whistle:

I recall one hotel in Lisbon a few years ago... Talk about elevators! I'm used to doorless elevators but that one took the cake. It was about the size of a phone booth. Actually, smaller. It rattled and clanked, and the fact there was no door meant you had to keep well clear of that one side. Hauling luggage in it was darn near impossible. I ended up stuffing the suitcases in on the floor and sitting on top of them. Lol.

Generally, unless I have a reason I can't, I stay in bed&breakfast type places well outiside of the cities when I'm in Europe, or for that matter anywhere overseas. The lower cost (often far, far lower) usually more than pays for my car rental, and I get to stay in the country rather than the city (I'm not fond of cities as a rule).

Even in a city, I stay the heck away from big chain hotels. They usually cost the earth and you can't much difference in ';em from one country to the other.

One of my favorite small hotels was in Pisa; it's gone now, and I miss it. It was within eighty feet of the base of the leaning tower, perfect location. It was also 1/4 the price of a big hotel, and it even had parking (Finding accommodations with parking is often a headache in Europe).

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..