Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let The Music Play CH 24: Checkout Time

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't posted the announcement yet, but Ch 24 is up. :)

"Wake Up Call" or "Check Out Time"? Despite a little uncertainty about the chapter title, it is a good one. Lump reappears in a sad state. And Helen keeps the band (and the reader) in the dark about an upcoming photo shoot.

A cliff hanger? I couldn't find one this time...not that I didn't try.

Edited by MikeL

Great chapter here, just like always, CJ!!

I kinda feel bad for Joe Clump, we're not sure tho if he survived or not.

And about The shadows,,, Steve that admitted to Wilde that he thought a little less of him when he learn that he like guys from time to time,, That should be interesting to see what will come out of that admission. At least from the whisper, I guess he doesn't exactly feel that way now.

Now that the bombs are getting almost ready, I say that we'll see an higher death rate for people working around the Scar and Dimitri. And Someone forget the saying,, Never question an order no mater how stupid it sounds like,,,, :P

Now about the band,,, I love how they used the nicer "men in grey suit" for sharks,, hehe, that sounds so much nicer, :P

Nice chapter again

sacha

And about The shadows,,, Steve that admitted to Wilde that he thought a little less of him when he learn that he like guys from time to time,, That should be interesting to see what will come out of that admission. At least from the whisper, I guess he doesn't exactly feel that way now.

Perhaps Steve is disappointed to learn that Wilde is bisexual rather than strictly gay.

Taking a seat across from Steve, Wilde replied,
  • Site Moderator
Great chapter here, just like always, CJ!!

I kinda feel bad for Joe Clump, we're not sure tho if he survived or not.

Now that the bombs are getting almost ready, I say that we'll see an higher death rate for people working around the Scar and Dimitri. And Someone forget the saying,, Never question an order no mater how stupid it sounds like,,,, :P

Now about the band,,, I love how they used the nicer "men in grey suit" for sharks,, hehe, that sounds so much nicer, :P

Nice chapter again

sacha

Perhaps Steve is disappointed to learn that Wilde is bisexual rather than strictly gay.

That section ended with us knowing the help had arrived. Joe will live. As I just finished reading another story today, it was stated there that wrist slashing never works as the victim never cuts deep enough and the muscles constrict slowing the blood flow. (Everybody's Wounded, Chapter 15).

I have to agree. I think he's a little ashamed of himself for thinking that now. But at least he owned up to it.

I too, loved the men in grey suits comment.

The only thing we don't know is when the engineer will get it. If The Scar is around, I'm sure he will do the honors. I would also think that he will enjoy it more than killing Eric.

That section ended with us knowing the help had arrived. Joe will live. As I just finished reading another story today, it was stated there that wrist slashing never works as the victim never cuts deep enough and the muscles constrict slowing the blood flow. (Everybody's Wounded, Chapter 15).

I have to agree. I think he's a little ashamed of himself for thinking that now. But at least he owned up to it.

I too, loved the men in grey suits comment.

The only thing we don't know is when the engineer will get it. If The Scar is around, I'm sure he will do the honors. I would also think that he will enjoy it more than killing Eric.

B) ...CJ has been throwing out some great comments, I liked the "banana hammocks". I don't think Lump is going to make it, the chapter title infers to his demise, besides what good would his resurrection serve? Jerry?

I took it to be more self-loathing, but then that would be 'older generation' thinking :king: , so you are probably right about that MikeL

I think those levels of frustration come from different directions - he wants to off Valdimir, but he still needs him to complete the bombs; he wants to off Eric, but he needs to group to smuggle the bombs - ok, so they aren't frustrations from different directions :( . I'd still be torn to speculate which demise he would derive more pleasure from!

B) ...CJ has been throwing out some great comments, I liked the "banana hammocks".
CJ definitely comes up with some unique wording/slang.

I don't think Lump is going to make it, the chapter title infers to his demise, besides what good would his resurrection serve? Jerry?
In CJ's usual oblique manner, he has left it open for now - AHA! Its a baby cliffie, since he didn't resolve it. :2thumbs:

Ooops! I posted the first post in this thread at 2am, and accidently gave it last week's chapter name. I've fixed it. :)
Was Tequila involved? :blink:

If Jerry/Scar plies Eric with tequila, won't he learn that Brandon is the culprit?

Brandon was repositioning the wiring harness in preparation of closing up the scooter when he spotted something interesting. Peering in, he angled his head for a closer look at the fourth circuit board.

Ya, but there's a difference from ending it with help arriving on the scene and knowing that he's safe,, he could still have been in critical condition and not make it.

If Jerry/Scar plies Eric with tequila, won't he learn that Brandon is the culprit?

umm, ya, I think that Jerry won't have much torturing to do to get the information,, sadly it can be bad for Brandon

I recognise the name "cossies", but I don't think that name is common. I've also noticed that most young guys seem to prefer board shorts :( I can't say if they are more common in Australia than the USA, but Speedo was originally an Australian company B) .

Is "cossies" just slang for "costumes"? I'm just guessing from knowing what "barbie" means.

Close, but I've only heard it in reference to swimming costumes :) Togs are another term that's used:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cossie

Dt's are actually most common word for them that i know actually (stands for dick togs). i know the beach they were at very well, used to fwd down it alot with the family, you actually have to be very careful along it, there are heaps of tiger sharks that swim around it and their actually one of the more dangerous sharks as their rather agressive. ive seen them swimming up and down the break numerous times when ive been there and never personaly swim beyond the break for that reason. but they had a look out so they would of been safe anyway

but yeah anyway great chapter CJ

Another great chapter CJ, thanks !

And although there is not really a big bad cliffhanger... well, of course you leave us wondering whats happening to Lump - although it seems he got rescued by the paramedics... i wonder if he will get real help and come around. Seems like he hit the bottom, which - for an addict - can be the turning point he needs.

I liked the "men in gray suits" :) Very fitting. I met some of the smaller ones under water, and for me they have an aura like some of those mafiosi in their dark suits, hiding their weapons, but always ready to use them...

Speedo's are very common here btw. Even old lads like me wear them ;) - they are still the best if you really swim laps (which I do, so i have a good reason :P ).

And i sooooo much want to go to Australia again reading this *sigh*. Too bad it's so far away from here :(

Edited by YaP
  • Site Administrator

Does anyone want to speculate why Joe Clump has made a reappearance in the story? There has to be a reason, so what is it?

Will his attempted suicide (which is sure to be reported in the gossip columns) be brought to the attention of his father, and if so, what's the likely reaction?

What about the guys in the band? Back in chapter 8, there was the following exchange:

Raising a hand to interrupt, Jerry replied,
Does anyone want to speculate why Joe Clump has made a reappearance in the story? There has to be a reason, so what is it?

Will his attempted suicide (which is sure to be reported in the gossip columns) be brought to the attention of his father, and if so, what's the likely reaction?

What about the guys in the band? Back in chapter 8, there was the following exchange:

Will the guys remember and try to do something to help Joe?

The other thing that this brings to mind is Jerry's statement about why Joe descended into drugs. We now know that it isn't try, so is there another reason for Joe to have started using drugs? And what's the basis for Joe's homophobia, since it's not his father? There are a lot of gays in the entertainment industry, so for Joe to be so openly homophobic wasn't smart, unless that was a persona he wanted to project.

B) .......I think bringing Joe back into the picture will force Jerry into returning to the States, again foiling his plans. Joe's demise, yeah I'm sure he probably died also ends the "mystery" of Joe.

Great Chapter...... lots of intrigue. I think Joe was brought back to cause the Scar more trouble. Poor Eric even unkowingly having the Scars attention and Ire directed at him isn't a good thing. *wants to throw eric into a bullet proof room and throw away the key.

Going back into hiding now. :ph34r:

The other thing that this brings to mind is Jerry's statement about why Joe descended into drugs. We now know that it isn't try, so is there another reason for Joe to have started using drugs? And what's the basis for Joe's homophobia, since it's not his father? There are a lot of gays in the entertainment industry, so for Joe to be so openly homophobic wasn't smart, unless that was a persona he wanted to project.

I'd have to disagree with the premise here - just because Jerry Clump aka The Scar isn't actually gay, doesn't mean he didn't tell his own son that he was as part of his cover.

re: cutting wrists: It is possible to kill oneself that way, it's just difficult. Most important is the direction of the cut - most kids who try it cut across the wrists, which doesn't open the veins enough to bleed too much. Successful attempts occur when the cutter knows to follow the vein up the arm. I gave myself a crash course in this one when I talked my best friend out of it freshman year of college.

In this case, I'd say it's a safe bet Lump survived, since it sounds like he never even completely lost consciousness before receiving medical attention.

• Site Administrator

Will the guys remember and try to do something to help Joe?

I'm going to throw out a wild idea here:

Remember Mario was being hired for four times the normal rate to make something look like a accident to someone famous back in the states?

Now J/S is trying to wrap any loose ends before they become a problem. Really, until J/S got the scooter to the compound and discovered someone had tampered with the screws, he really didn't have a reason to off the members of Instinct or implied that he had reason to.

However, Joe being his son, he may be privileged to some information about his daddies' other line of work. Now he was about to have what some might consider a accident by committing suicide while high on speed, meth, and heroine. I do believe the Joe's problem was with alcohol, and other then J/S, nobody had mentioned drugs. Could Mario have deceptively got Joe hooked and knew the effects of the three drugs would have on someone? I do believe (never tried) meth can be very addictive on the first try. What better cover than a drug induced suicide for a cover for the offing of his own son?

Maybe it is a redeeming quality of poor misunderstood J/S, that he is willing to pay four times the normal amount to off his son than he would for a stranger. Only the best for his family :blink: .

Steve B)

Edited by wildone
I'm going to throw out a wild idea here:

Remember Mario was being hired for four times the normal rate to make something look like a accident to someone famous back in the states?

Now J/S is trying to wrap any loose ends before they become a problem. Really, until J/S got the scooter to the compound and discovered someone had tampered with the screws, he really didn't have a reason to off the members of Instinct or implied that he had reason to.

However, Joe being his son, he may be privileged to some information about his daddies' other line of work. Now he was about to have what some might consider a accident by committing suicide while high on speed, meth, and heroine. I do believe the Joe's problem was with alcohol, and other then J/S, nobody had mentioned drugs. Could Mario have deceptively got Joe hooked and knew the effects of the three drugs would have on someone? I do believe (never tried) meth can be very addictive on the first try. What better cover than a drug induced suicide for a cover for the offing of his own son?

Maybe it is a redeeming quality of poor misunderstood J/S, that he is willing to pay four times the normal amount to off his son than he would for a stranger. Only the best for his family :blink: .

Steve B)

I really agreed to that theory. It would make sense that Jerry needs to cut off some loose ends and Joe might have some information about his father that could endanger the rest of Jerry's plan. Therefore he is a prime target for a crime spree. But I when I thought about that, I realized that Jerry and joe (apparently) haven't talk to each other in some time. I know the kind of project that Jerry is working on takes years of preparation, therefore it is possible that Joe would still have heard important stuff, but I would doubt that Joe knows anything that would cause prejudice to Jerry's plans.

The only way Joe could be the target, would be that Jerry really hate his guts and because he needed someone famous to be killed, he chose him.

I really agreed to that theory. It would make sense that Jerry needs to cut off some loose ends and Joe might have some information about his father that could endanger the rest of Jerry's plan. Therefore he is a prime target for a crime spree. But I when I thought about that, I realized that Jerry and joe (apparently) haven't talk to each other in some time. I know the kind of project that Jerry is working on takes years of preparation, therefore it is possible that Joe would still have heard important stuff, but I would doubt that Joe knows anything that would cause prejudice to Jerry's plans.

The only way Joe could be the target, would be that Jerry really hate his guts and because he needed someone famous to be killed, he chose him.

B) .......I can only think that Joe's demise screws up Scars plans. How could Jerry not have to rush back and make furneral arrangements without raising suspicions? He certainly made himself to be "caring" father even Joe and he hadn't spoken in a long time!

Edited by Benji
  • Site Administrator

Remember though this was really the first time we have experienced Joe from Joe's point of view. Almost of everything we have heard of him has been other's 'opinion' of him. Worse of all, J/S's opinion of him seems to be the worst.

Although Joe's body would have been found dead by the hotel manager when checkout time came, how long would it be to identify his body? From the scene, it appears that Joe's body is so malnurished and potch marked that even Joe didn't recognize himself! How many John Does are taken out of the seedy parts of major cities on a daily basis and just disposed of without police investigation, or tracking down of any possible family?

I think a certain goat has only given us enough information to lead us down the wrong path.....AGAIN!!!

Steve B)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..