Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let The Music Play CH 24: Checkout Time

I think those levels of frustration come from different directions - he wants to off Valdimir, but he still needs him to complete the bombs; he wants to off Eric, but he needs to group to smuggle the bombs - ok, so they aren't frustrations from different directions :( . I'd still be torn to speculate which demise he would derive more pleasure from!

Isn't there any sympathy for J/S's frustration? The poor guy must be really stressed out. 0:)

Is "cossies" just slang for "costumes"? I'm just guessing from knowing what "barbie" means.

Yep! I got that from the classic surfing film "Endless Summer" and I've also seen it mentioned elsewhere over the years.

Dt's are actually most common word for them that i know actually (stands for dick togs). i know the beach they were at very well, used to fwd down it alot with the family, you actually have to be very careful along it, there are heaps of tiger sharks that swim around it and their actually one of the more dangerous sharks as their rather agressive. ive seen them swimming up and down the break numerous times when ive been there and never personaly swim beyond the break for that reason. but they had a look out so they would of been safe anyway

but yeah anyway great chapter CJ

Thanks Woody!!

I've encountered sharks a few times while surfing, and I don't mind admitting that I became very afraid when I saw a big finn cruising along, between me and the beach.

And i sooooo much want to go to Australia again reading this *sigh*. Too bad it's so far away from here :(

Me too! I haven't been there in close to 25 years, and I loved it. I was pretty young, but I remember some parts of it very well indeed.

I've never been north of Brisbane there, so Graeme and Woody have been helping me with local facts.

The scene in Rome was far easier; I was there a few years before I wrote the early one and a few weeks before I wrote the chapter that takes place in Rome.

Maybe it is a redeeming quality of poor misunderstood J/S, that he is willing to pay four times the normal amount to off his son than he would for a stranger. Only the best for his family :blink: .

See? Only the best... And y'all thought The Scar was lacking in family values. 0:)

I think a certain goat has only given us enough information to lead us down the wrong path.....AGAIN!!!

Steve B)

What? Would I do such a thing as that? 0:)

Thank you everyone for all the comments and speculation. I'm loving it. This is my main reward for writing, and I can't express how much I appreciate it. :hug:

There was some great speculation here, and some of it spot-on (and before the Echidna makes me into a pincushion for giving spoilers, I'll point out that I didn't say which ones!) in some respects. Not only do i love seeing that, but it helps me; it lets me know that I have left enough clues. :)

Thanks VERY much everyone!!

CJ

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Administrator
I've never been north of Brisbane there, so Graeme and Woody have been helping me with local facts.

Mainly Woody. My family and I have been holidaying in the Noosa area for the last few years, but I don't know the Rainbow Beach area where the resort is located (and I only worked that out with the reference to Tin Can Bay).

I noticed that I made a few formatting errors in Ch 24: Scene breaks where they don't belong. I'll upload a fixed chapter with the new one on Tuesday. :)

BTW, I don't know why y'all are so suspicious of The Scar. He's even planning to buy Eric a few drinks.

The Scar chuckled.
I noticed that I made a few formatting errors in Ch 24: Scene breaks where they don't belong. I'll upload a fixed chapter with the new one on Tuesday. :)

BTW, I don't know why y'all are so suspicious of The Scar. He's even planning to buy Eric a few drinks.

See? He's being neighborly and thoughtful. :)

:jerry:

:o he better not Eric is MINE!! you promised :(

wait did I just post that?

:*)

Hey, guys!

First let me say that this is my first time posting here, so be kind to me if I screw up..... :P

I have never been into following the forums of the stories I read (and I read a LOT!) But CJ, your writing has inspired me. I just discovered your stories last week. I can't imagine why I haven't discovered your stories before, but I am very glad I did! Good Job, DUDE!

Now on to the second reason I decided to post. I thought I had misread a part of the story (chapter 21 to be exact) after reading all the posts about J/S getting Mario to go to the States to off someone. Well, guys, it seems that I may be the only one to pick up on what I think is a misinterpretation by some as to what Mario was asked to do......and I quote from chapter 21:

"...because he needed Mario

• Site Administrator

Hey Ty :D ,

Let me be the first to welcome you. It is great to see a new face in here to try and guess the outcome of CJ's web of clues, some false, some not.

The main reason that I'm replying is that you brought up a point that some others have brought up as well. That being the use of 'they' in the text.

For some reason, maybe I just like to be different :blink: , I didn't take the word 'they' as being plural. Back when this was brought up, I didn't really look into it, but thought I should do it now. This is what I found in Wiktionary about the word 'they':

They

they personal pronoun; the third person, nominative case, usually plural, but sometimes used in the singular when the gender is unknown or irrelevant (objective case them, possessive their, possessive noun theirs, reflexive plural themselves, reflexive singular themself)

(the third person plural) A group of others previously mentioned.

Fred and Jane? They just arrived.

(the third person singular, disputed) A single person, previously mentioned, but of unknown or irrelevant gender.

Have you ever seen someone while they are on their deathbed?

(indefinite pronoun, vague meaning) People; some people; someone.

They say it

Hey Ty :D ,

Let me be the first to welcome you. It is great to see a new face in here to try and guess the outcome of CJ's web of clues, some false, some not.

The main reason that I'm replying is that you brought up a point that some others have brought up as well. That being the use of 'they' in the text.

For some reason, maybe I just like to be different :blink: , I didn't take the word 'they' as being plural. Back when this was brought up, I didn't really look into it, but thought I should do it now. This is what I found in Wiktionary about the word 'they':

So CJ could have been using it in a plural form or a singular form, only he really knows. If I was a betting man, I would put my money on your view, and not mine, as experience says I'm usually wrong about these.

As far as sending the PM to CJ, I do that sometimes but the goat is usually reluctant to release plot details in forums or in pm's. I know he has a great fear of giving a spoiler, one that I have too, since Graeme and his prickly spines are never too far away.

Hope to see you around lots, and if you do have the final outcome, maybe you can just send me a pm with the answers too :lol: . Just kidding.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I intend to be more active here (and in some other forums) as I have been "hankerin'" to do a little writing of my own and I think I have finally reached a point in my life where I think I would like to put some of the ideas rattling around in my head on paper.

Also I have a good background in creative writing, editing, etc. and would like to offer my services as an editor if it should be needed. Feel free to contact me if you think I might be of some assistance.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Ty

They was used in being vague.

thats my story and Im sticking to it. There are plenty of ways to be rid of instinct (which includes 4 + Gunter + Helen + barb) 4 + 3 = 7 and 7 doesn't equal worth it when he is only being paid four times the going rate. Plus the 4x was mentioned as a bonus because the they are quite famous. 7 = no bonus and getting rid of a major problem dirt cheap.

that is why the they the scar refers to cannot be Instinct.

Besides that, welcome to the Petting Zoo Ty

Steve

I just cant keep track of cliff hangers anymore! I keep losing count. :worship:

Hmmm, It seams to me that with another group "shadowing" their tour, that their equiptment would be shipped back with Instinct's equiptment.

Scar seemed somewhat reluctant to eliminate the usefull cover of his friends, except for the one he hates. Usefull as in cover for his black market shipments.

Perhaps their somewhat famous opening group and their manager equals four.

What if Gabe was one and there were other "rodies" to equal four?

Perhaps four times the bonus was to throw us four times as far in the wrong direction?

Ouch! My head!

• Site Administrator

Welcome, Ty4650!

Like you, I think it'll be Instinct who are to be killed. Once they've been used to smuggle the bombs into the USA (which appears to be the plan, though that is still, I think, an assumption), The Scar may not need them anymore.

Shadowgod, you are assuming payment is per person, not per incident. I would think that a single task that kills one person would be charged the same as that same task that kills ten. Mario will be paid to do a task, not on a body-count basis. That's what I think....

Welcome, Ty4650!

Like you, I think it'll be Instinct who are to be killed. Once they've been used to smuggle the bombs into the USA (which appears to be the plan, though that is still, I think, an assumption), The Scar may not need them anymore.

Shadowgod, you are assuming payment is per person, not per incident. I would think that a single task that kills one person would be charged the same as that same task that kills ten. Mario will be paid to do a task, not on a body-count basis. That's what I think....

Normally i would agree graeme. normally.

I differ hear because the scar specifically said that he is willing to pay 4x the going rate because they were quite famous. Implying that it was a bonus vecuase whomever is to be delt with has extenuating circumstances of fame. And conciquntly, if I was a hit man I'd charge on a per body basis. If I got caught I would be charged per body so why not demand payment in kind?

• Site Administrator
... if I was a hit man I'd charge on a per body basis. If I got caught I would be charged per body so why not demand payment in kind?

"Ah, Mr. Shadowgod, we've received your latest bill. I'm afraid there's a problem with paying it."

"Why?"

"You see, you've charged us for Mr. C and Mr. J. We only wanted Mr. C killed. We just can't pay for the extra death that resulted.

"How was I supposed to kill one and not the other? They're conjoined twins, for God's sake!"

"That wasn't our problem. We had a deal and you've failed to live up to your side. We just can't pay the account you've submit."

"In that case, TANSTAAFL!"

The bomb embedded in the accountants phone, keyed to explode when the key word was uttered, killed five people. Shadowgod sent himself the bill and promptly paid it. It is, after all, important to pay these sorts of things on time and not to quibble about details....

Edited by Graeme
"Ah, Mr. Shadowgod, we've received your latest bill. I'm afraid there's a problem with paying it."

"Why?"

"You see, you've charged us for Mr. C and Mr. J. We only wanted Mr. C killed. We just can't pay for the extra death that resulted.

"How was I supposed to kill one and not the other? They're conjoined twins, for God's sake!"

"That wasn't our problem. We had a deal and you've failed to live up to your side. We just can't pay the account you've submit."

The bomb embedded in the accountants phone, keyed to explode when the key word was uttered, killed five people. Shadowgod sent himself the bill and promptly paid it. It is, after all, important to pay these sorts of things on time and not to quibble about details....

ROFLMAO

touche.

I still say Instinct was not the they in that exchange. :)

• Site Administrator
I differ hear because the scar specifically said that he is willing to pay 4x the going rate because they were quite famous. Implying that it was a bonus vecuase whomever is to be delt with has extenuating circumstances of fame. And conciquntly, if I was a hit man I'd charge on a per body basis. If I got caught I would be charged per body so why not demand payment in kind?

OMG, I hope your killings for hire don't interfere with other activities :o ! Also, does this mean that you are one of Bondwriter's agents?

"Why?"

Too funny :2thumbs: !!

You should do some writing Graeme :P !!

• Site Administrator
You should do some writing Graeme :P !!

You think so? :blink: Maybe I'll try to whip something up for the next anthology...

I think silly season has arrived :P As is not too uncommon, I appear to have started it....

Anyone willing to try to steer this thread back into a sensible discussion on chapter 24?

Thanks Steve, I intend to be more active here (and in some other forums) as I have been "hankerin'" to do a little writing of my own and I think I have finally reached a point in my life where I think I would like to put some of the ideas rattling around in my head on paper.

Also I have a good background in creative writing, editing, etc. and would like to offer my services as an editor if it should be needed. Feel free to contact me if you think I might be of some assistance.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Ty

It is great to have you here, Ty!!! And thank you so much for your other post as well, that really made my day! :*)

Welcome!!

I just cant keep track of cliff hangers anymore! I keep losing count. :worship:

Hmmm, It seams to me that with another group "shadowing" their tour, that their equiptment would be shipped back with Instinct's equiptment.

Scar seemed somewhat reluctant to eliminate the usefull cover of his friends, except for the one he hates. Usefull as in cover for his black market shipments.

Perhaps their somewhat famous opening group and their manager equals four.

What if Gabe was one and there were other "rodies" to equal four?

Perhaps four times the bonus was to throw us four times as far in the wrong direction?

Ouch! My head!

But Conner 365, I never use cliffhangers. 0:)0:) 0:)

I can't comment on specifics of upcoming things, so I'm afraid I cant answer any of your question, only to say that they won't be left unanswered for too long. :)

Surfing are usually done wearing board shorts or wet suits. Right? What's with the Speedo fetish, CJ? :P

Here's a link to the reference, "budgy smugglers: http://www.budgysmuggler.com.au/

ROFL!!!

I admit it, I like hot guys in speedos. But in this case, they were forced to were speedos by Helen, becase she has a reason.

:)

Normally i would agree graeme. normally.

Ummm, doesn't it worry anyone how easily Shadowgod can put himself into the mindset of a hitman?!?!!? :o

"Why?"

ROFL!!!

TANSTAAFL! Are you by chance a Hienelin fan? :)

(It stands for "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch")

You think so? :blink: Maybe I'll try to whip something up for the next anthology...

I think silly season has arrived :P As is not too uncommon, I appear to have started it....

Anyone willing to try to steer this thread back into a sensible discussion on chapter 24?

ROFL!!! Well, ok, I'll give it a shot...

Here's a quote from Ch 23, which bears on The Scar's plans, including some of the issues asked above.

Shaking his head, The Scar replied,

• Site Administrator
TANSTAAFL! Are you by chance a Hienelin fan? :)

(It stands for "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch")

I was wondering if anyone would pick up the reference :) Yes, I've been a Robert Heinlein fan in the past. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is one of my favourites (which is where the word comes from ).

As for the section you quoted, it makes it almost certain that it is Instinct that is to be... er... terminated with extreme prejudice.

Maybe Shadowgod can put in a counter offer and see if his bid for the work is lower that Mario's?

I was wondering if anyone would pick up the reference :) Yes, I've been a Robert Heinlein fan in the past. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is one of my favourites (which is where the word comes from ).

As for the section you quoted, it makes it almost certain that it is Instinct that is to be... er... terminated with extreme prejudice.

Maybe Shadowgod can put in a counter offer and see if his bid for the work is lower that Mario's?

that would depend if I had to provide proof of the job completed... then I could just make them disapear.

now I must mention SPiCE has definate issues with the quoted passage. There are demands that the author cease and desist any story arc's or plot lines that would, or could lead to harm of Eric. Such harm includes, but is not limited to, Brain damage, falling from Cliffs, exposure to thermonuclear weapons, or any other literary measures that can lead to the corruption, either in mind or body, of Eric Carlisle.

We may be placated though ;)

I will comment that, apropos of nothing, that Blackheart in FTL was in some ways a hit man.

And as for Shadowgod, hrmmm, I think I see a connection here. In addition to being the King of EEEvil cliffhangers, he;s also the King of Eeevil Contract-killers! Oh my....

BTW, I will point out, before anyone else does, that even if you are correct in your interpretation of the quoted text, it isn't a cliffhanger. :)

that would depend if I had to provide proof of the job completed... then I could just make them disapear.

now I must mention SPiCE has definate issues with the quoted passage. There are demands that the author cease and desist any story arc's or plot lines that would, or could lead to harm of Eric. Such harm includes, but is not limited to, Brain damage, falling from Cliffs, exposure to thermonuclear weapons, or any other literary measures that can lead to the corruption, either in mind or body, of Eric Carlisle.

We may be placated though ;)

See? He IS the King of Evil Contract-killers!!!

Hrmmm, maybe he's just the king of EVERYTHING evil?

And, ummm, how may you be placated?

See? He IS the King of Evil Contract-killers!!!

Hrmmm, maybe he's just the king of EVERYTHING evil?

And, ummm, how may you be placated?

I am not, i was mearly asserting that I could make the members disapear. There are more was to disapear then being dead mind you.

as for the other, we will make our demands known at the appropriate time.

• Site Administrator
I am not, i was mearly asserting that I could make the members disapear. There are more was to disapear then being dead mind you.

Let's see... Brandon and Chase end up hiding out on a remote, but extremely well equipped, private island in the Great Barrier Reef.

Barbra and Helen hide in plain sight in the shopping centres of Sydney.

Gunter returns to Rome.

Jon is transferred to a farm just outside Melbourne where he starts teaching two young lads how to play musical instruments, before pleading he'd rather do anything else.

And Eric... is seconded in ShadowGod's home and told he's never allowed to leave :P

I think that's everyone 'disappeared' :D

• Site Administrator
Ok, here's the title of the coming chapter: Fact Finding.

That sounds like The Scar is going to buying Eric some drinks.... Will it be anything more than that, though? CJ is notorious about having non-obvious chapter title interpretations.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..