Mechanics 101

Comsie

Something that I sometimes write down in a hurry, but have to go back and think about from time to time. Simply because I write the way I think. So I'm saying every word in my mind, and my fingers are trying to translate as fast as they can without interrupting the rhythm or the flow of the writing.

When you're writing, what is the correct usage of the word "Passed" and "Past"?

I'm pretty sure that I know this one, but occasionally, in the heat of the moment, it'll cause me to stumble momentarily, and I'll have to think twice about it. Anybody have an official ruling on this?

"I passed him in the hallway."

"I walk past him in the hallway."

Is that right?

Let us know!

Something that I sometimes write down in a hurry, but have to go back and think about from time to time. Simply because I write the way I think. So I'm saying every word in my mind, and my fingers are trying to translate as fast as they can without interrupting the rhythm or the flow of the writing.

I'm pretty sure that I know this one, but occasionally, in the heat of the moment, it'll cause me to stumble momentarily, and I'll have to think twice about it. Anybody have an official ruling on this?

Is that right?

Let us know!

Hmm, i am not sure, and i don't have an official rule, but i would say both are correct. "walking past somebody" is in my dictionary and translates to "an jemandem vor

Edited by YaP

Is that right?

Com, these look right! I tend to look at the parts of speech to remember which one to use. For example, "passed" is from the verb "pass" --Right now, I am passing him in the hallway. Yesterday, I passed him in the hallway.

In the second sentence, "walk" is the verb and "past him" is a descriptive phrase telling you where he walked. So, I try to remember that "past" is never a verb (like in "the Ghost of Christmas Past").

I can totally see where this type of thinking would break your concentration. In fact, it's one of the reasons I have so much trouble writing and have a much easier time editing! But, hey, isn't that what an editor's for? :D

BTW, Com, I just finished GFD and SM and you totally have me at the edge of my seat! :great: Your grammar is fine, but lots of times you have letters missing from words --not spelling mistakes, but like missed keystrokes. A few times, I had to stop and figure out what word you meant, but otherwise it usually doesn't bother me. From you A/N, I take it that you won't be updating those any time soon? :D

Edited by steph291

Is that right?

Let us know!

Haha you and I both have that issue. I always have to think about it and never know if I'm right or not.

But those sentences both look grammatically correct.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..