Your most annoying euphemisms?

My guess is nobody else has commented on it because technically it's against the rules as set out in the FAQ. But since you and I are so friendly I felt it would be perceived as a joke instead of insulting a member. That's why I made a point of stating that you and I are friends. BTW, I still think dinner should be sun-tea and snake meat. ;)

And now let's get back on-topic, says the King of Off-Topic. :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's the phrase "We're going to put our pet down." Down where? On the floor? On the bed? And the list goes on.

That one sounds weird to but I think it may have a little more credability. I think it came from people with horses. Horses usualy do not lay down unless they are sick, hurt, or dead. So when you put a horse down it actualy falls down. There is also an expression that a horse is down. In this case "down" meens laying down sick.

On the lighter side, there are many euphamisms for defecating and urinating. I think the worst is, "I have to powder my nose." I think someone is powdering the wrong end.

On the lighter side, there are many euphamisms for defecating and urinating. I think the worst is, "I have to powder my nose." I think someone is powdering the wrong end.

That one is so wrong, but it comes from before we were willing to admit that yes, we need to use the bathroom. It was considered bad manners to say "I need to use the bathroom/restroom" and still is in some situations. I still don't like that line, and seriously prefer "I'll be right back."

I think it comes from the fact that many women who use make-up do powder their nose and do other cosmetic touch-ups in the bathroom. They also like to stand around and gossip in the process. :)

I think it comes from the fact that many women who use make-up do powder their nose and do other cosmetic touch-ups in the bathroom. They also like to stand around and gossip in the process. :)

Now why would a woman wanna do that when she can do that at the table? Maybe it's partly that, and the left over of the 'southern bells' time. But then again, I'm a girl from the west and know how to hold my own among the males.

That one sounds weird to but I think it may have a little more credability. I think it came from people with horses. Horses usualy do not lay down unless they are sick, hurt, or dead. So when you put a horse down it actualy falls down. There is also an expression that a horse is down. In this case "down" meens laying down sick.

Yes, I was thinking along these lines myself.

I think it comes from the fact that many women who use make-up do powder their nose and do other cosmetic touch-ups in the bathroom.

That's always been my assumption as well. I mean I figured they would also use the rest room whilst there, but I figured there was actual make up applying going on in many if not most instances.

I don't mind if you use one of my emoticons. Just please don't link directly to them on my server. Thank you. :)

I think she had to in order to post it on here. The only alternative I know of would be downloading them, and uploading them to a site like photobucket and using that link. Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning. :P

I think she had to in order to post it on here. The only alternative I know of would be downloading them, and uploading them to a site like photobucket and using that link. Maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning. :P

That's exactly what I meant Tim. It's not that I'm selfish. I think everyone here knows that by now. Hell, if anyone wants my emoticons I'll zip them all up and give them away. But if everyone starts linking to my emoticons I'll soon have serious bandwidth issues/costs to deal with. Anyway, I should have done this via PM. Sorry mods.

I had my cousin finish the post for me and she didn't leave the quote markings for me. Didn't notice until I popped back in. And the reason why I had her finish the post was because I had to run from my computer and she's sitting here watching me do this. I let a post sit to long and it'll log me out of my net.

My compy is freaking out to, so...funs.

Anyways, most euphemisms are annoying, some are funny and some just make you tilt your head to the side and say 'huh?'

Don't worry about me Rose. It was a long day in hospital and I guess I'm tired which makes me cranky. Do you have an account on one of the photo hosting services? If so I'll send you all 170 of my smileys and you can put them there. Same goes for anyone else who wants them. Although I wish Joe would add them to GA.

Don't worry about me Rose. It was a long day in hospital and I guess I'm tired which makes me cranky. Do you have an account on one of the photo hosting services? If so I'll send you all 170 of my smileys and you can put them there. Same goes for anyone else who wants them. Although I wish Joe would add them to GA.

I'll send you my infor here in a bit, if you can wait a moment. I need to hunt through my long list of places I'm at. But I wouldn't mind it. Thanks sweety.

The doctor will be with you in a moment.

Perhaps this is not technically a euphemism. Nevertheless it's still annoying!

Two hours later is not in a moment!

That one just ticks me off. Especially when you're in pain and just want to go home. It is a euphemism in its own way, I suppose.

That one just ticks me off. Especially when you're in pain and just want to go home. It is a euphemism in its own way, I suppose.

Sometimes the pain is purely emotional and borne of the frustration from just sitting there expecting "any moment" to be the next time to door that keeps you contained in the waiting room opens only to find that someone is leaving or someone else is being called in. Especially when that someone else arrived after I did.

Has anyone mentioned "collateral damage" as a euphemism for civilian deaths in a war zone?

Tim McVeigh used that phrase when asked how he felt about blowing up the kids in the day care. He said they were "collateral damage."

The doctor will be with you in a moment.

The physics term "moment of inertia" comes to mind.