Your most annoying euphemisms?

No offense to Gary and Tris - and I admit most of the euphemisms for death are a bit silly - but if someone is conveying the news that their loved one has died, I don't think it's appropriate to make fun of the way in which they do it.

I guess that explains the nonplussed looks I usually get. And in all fairness I've never said it directly to the person whose loved one just died. It's usually to some third-party who's just informed me that so-and-so has died.

PS: Thanks Tris.

Edited by GaryInMiami
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It even irritates me more than the truly ridiculous ones like, "he bought the form", "he kicked the bucket", "he bit the bullet" (actually this one almost makes sense. If he died of a gunshot it seems accurate enough to say "the bullet bit him"). Yep, "he passed" irritates me.

What about, "he's gone to a better place?" How do they know in which direction he went? ;)

Where I work, when we get notified of the death of a resident, the email or phone call usually states that the resident has "expired".

I had no idea you worked in a long-term care facility. I never liked the terminology either. It is like comparing people to food. I think the term dehumanizes people. :angry:

I like how Aussies say, "root." :P

For some reason I laughed for about three minutes after reading that... :blink:

Any Euphemisms around sex, dating, and such I dislike. All of them have been covered though :P It's just, if someone comes up to me with the pick up like, "can I buy you a drink?" instead of a greeting I just accept the drink then walk away.. lol. You have to try better than that. And really, if I know they're actually wanting a one night stand I'll go further and tell them I tell them that I'm not single.

For sex I dislike when all my male friends use them for masturbation and such. I don't really want to hear anything about them, but when they do, I hate when the word Masturbation is replaced with anything. And, "can we get it on" or, "let's get it on," is an instant cold shower. :) You have to do better than that.

Here is the one I hate the most: "We're going to put our pet to sleep."

I like sleep. I'm quite sure I would not like being poisoned/shot/drowned/etc. I hate the way people can't own up to what they are doing. If you truly believe you are putting the creature out of its misery why not admit to it? Besides, it might confuse your kids. ie. The dog got put to sleep and now he is dead and buried in the yard... and now mom and dad are telling me to quit playing and go to sleep!

I like sleep. I'm quite sure I would not like being poisoned/shot/drowned/etc. I hate the way people can't own up to what they are doing. If you truly believe you are putting the creature out of its misery why not admit to it? Besides, it might confuse your kids. ie. The dog got put to sleep and now he is dead and buried in the yard... and now mom and dad are telling me to quit playing and go to sleep!

I agree. Well said.

Humane euthanasia of animals is nothing of the sort - if they were treated like a human they'd be left to drag on until they died in discomfort and pain. It should be the other way around, we should treat people animalely.

I think a discussion of euthanasia would be very good and very interesting. I have quite a few thoughts on this topic, but if we do discuss it I think it would probably be better suited for the Soapbox. I know I for one may get...passionate about discussing it. :boy:

In any case, just with regards to the euphemism - and ignoring actual thoughts about it - I agree with JF that it has the potential to be very confusing and scary to kids. I personally think that by far this is the clearest example thus far discussed in the thread of the need for calling a spade a spade.

Edited by AFriendlyFace
  • Site Moderator

Then there's the phrase "We're going to put our pet down." Down where? On the floor? On the bed? And the list goes on.

That gets back to the whole subject of euphemisms for death. You make a good point about putting a pet to sleep and then telling your kids to goto sleep. Yet another reason to avoid euphemisms. Especially for such a serious topic as death.

That gets back to the whole subject of euphemisms for death. You make a good point about putting a pet to sleep and then telling your kids to goto sleep. Yet another reason to avoid euphemisms. Especially for such a serious topic as death.

It's pathetic the way people dance around death. I've lost my grandparents, my best friend and an uncle and everytime some one used an euphemism, it just confused me. I have a habit of snickering at the euphemisms that are used in stories. I don't care how serious the scene is, when there's a euphemism in it, I have to snicker.

And I agree with Garys point and all other points that are connected to his...

It's pathetic the way people dance around death. I've lost my grandparents, my best friend and an uncle and everytime some one used an euphemism, it just confused me. I have a habit of snickering at the euphemisms that are used in stories. I don't care how serious the scene is, when there's a euphemism in it, I have to snicker.

And I agree with Garys point and all other points that are connected to his...

I'll only do this because Rose and I are friends. You just used a euphemism. :P

Anyway, getting back to the death euphemisms, I have to say I think they are the most ridiculous ones on average.

In fact the original "annoying euphemism" that I was going to list is when people say "he passed". That just irks me like crazy! Conversely "he passed away", is actually my preferred way of saying that someone died. I think it's all well and good to be blunt most of the time, but actually with something like death I rather like this euphemistic way of saying it. I also imagine the person's soul "passing away" from their body. (even if you don't believe in souls or anything, that's just the image I get) "Passed" by itself just drives me crazy though! I do want to say, "Well what did he pass?" Perhaps this is good news, "John passed" "his kidney stone?" "his test?", or maybe it's only moderately bad news, "well, have him circle the block and come back then."

I've always thought "passed away" was rather weird. "He was there, and then he just sort of passed away," or whatever. "Passed on" makes a little more sense if you are wanting to suggest that someone went on to another life after this one.

But we are so used to euphemisms that we expect them. My father was in intensive care, and after various systems started shutting down the emphasis for treatment was shifted to keeping him comfortable, and he was moved to a Hospice facility two weeks ago. That Saturday I got a call from them that I should drive over and pick up Mother because, the nurse said, "His breathing changed." As I was driving over to my hometown, I figured that must be some kind of euphemism, and his breathing had changed by stopping, but maybe she couldn't tell me that on the phone. But no, she actually meant what she said; and his breathing actually improved while we were there. The next day I went back over and he was a little more alert and responded by opening his eyes when we'd talk to him. I stayed at their house that night, and got a phone call from the nurse who told me that he had died. She didn't use any cutesy euphemism that I recall, and describe how a couple of them were with him as he gradually stopped breathing, very peacefully and without struggle. I guess he did sort of pass away after all, but I have avoided using the expression, on general principles.

As for saying that someone "passed," I've only heard that from black folk in this area. That made it all the more confusing to me the first time I heard it, since the expression had another meaning when I was young. There was the book and the movie I Passed for White. I recall the movie being advertised on TV, but I was too young to go see it (or to want to). Some years later I read the book (for a Black History course, I think), and it was actually pretty good. It was based on a true story and was not as sensationalized as I would have expected.

If a couple are literally sleeping together, that is a really intimate experience, and that sense is lost if you use it as a euphemism for having sex.

My favorite use of a euphemism is in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe, where "euphemism" is used as a euphemism.

I'll only do this because Rose and I are friends. You just used a euphemism. :P

I was wondering if some one was going to catch that or not.

Most people are so used to using euphemisms that when reading or hearing something, they don't catch it until they actively look for it. In fact, I'm surprised others haven't commented on it. ;):P

Though, yes, my grandparents, friend and uncle have all died, so that part is true, people.