PC addict and/or Internet addict ?

old bob

• Site Administrator

Computers and the Internet are, to me, tools. There are some things I can't do without them, but I don't need them. I've had other things I've done in the past for leisure, and I can do them again if the computer is unavailable. Work, however, requires a computer -- I can't do my job without one.

The problem with the above survey is it doesn't distinguish between time spent because it's required (ie. five days a week for my job) and time spent because I want to (ie. the time after hours when I'm surfing or writing). Most of computer and internet time is still work-related, though I'll admit that my leisure time use has gone up a lot over the last couple of years.

• 1 year later...

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. I'm totally addicted to my PC's, and if the internet connection goes down, you don't want to be anywhere near me! :lol: I do use them at work, for a large percentage of the day actually, and then again for personal use at home.

6 hours a day is an extremely low estimate, I would say more like 12 hours average - between work and pleasure that is. Kinda scary when you look at it like that! :huh:

• Like 2

I'm with Graham. My job is to maintain computer networks and I work remotely from another time zone so I'm on one computer using the internet for my job (45-60 hours a week) and then there is the time spent doing "leisure" stuff like watching webcasts, visiting GA, checking email, etc..

When I go to my parents cottage on the atlantic, there's no internet, no cell phone service and we don't actually even have a TV. So after a couple days of massive technology withdrawl, I adjust and start doing all the things I used to do before my internet addiction. I will admit to getting very excited when I make a run into town and can check my email\favourite website on the iPhone. 0:)

I'm online constantly. It drives me NUTS sometimes. :angry:

And I never knew HOW much I was online until I got an iPhone - that battery charger gets a lot of use.

I get a laugh when my aunt goes - WalMart had a power failure - so what this no one knows how to use a pad and paper and write up the sales??

I can imagine how many can even use a mechanical type writer or even an electric one.

I can also imagine - Whhaaaatttt they don't know how to write!!

Well, I work in IT so I spend a good part of my day glued to a computer. However when I get home I'm under orders from him indoors to limit my time, so not as much as I used to by any means.

• Like 1

The only way to get away from my computer was to leave the house. Then I got an iPod Touch. Now I'm haunting WiFi hotspots and checking email six to ten times a day. The only thing that saves me from total addiction is the iPod's tiny keyboard and my clumsy fingers.

I don't know what I'd do without my computer and internet access. I do all my writing on here, although after a major disaster with a friend, a mug of tea and my former laptop, I hastily discovered the wonder of data sticks. I have friends and family all over the place and I speak to them on msn all the time... and then of course there are the forums, and reading the stories on here..... oh no.... I have no life outside the computer... I am officially a computerholic.

I am a fan of the Google Docs. That way I can get to my stuff from anywhere...as long as I have a connection, anyway.

It's also great for working with editors, especially when you have multiple editors or beta readers all making comments.

It's also great for working with editors, especially when you have multiple editors or beta readers all making comments.

It sounds very similar to Office online, and it certainly makes life a lot easier as you say, when you have a a few beta readers.

What's a Beta reader... I have heard the phrase a couple of times and at first I thought it was some kind of software of something but I am beginning to doubt. :)

I have never had anyone else edit anything I've written. I suppose it has been too personal. Would be good though. I have actually asked my brother to edit my latest piece which I am hoping to enter in the competition but he's taken forever and not come back with one comment yet. Beginning to think that maybe he's just too close to be objective.

Ah well.... :)

An editor goes in and hunts down all the stupid typos; a beta reader reads the piece and gives a 'reader's feedback' to the author.

And if you want a somewhat-decent but not great editor... my e-mail is always open. (Oh, and I can beta-read too)

An editor goes in and hunts down all the stupid typos; a beta reader reads the piece and gives a 'reader's feedback' to the author.

And if you want a somewhat-decent but not great editor... my e-mail is always open. (Oh, and I can beta-read too)

Oh... right. Got it, I think. Thanks for the offer. I might just take you up on that. :)

Well, I'm usually on the computer four to six hours a day. Most of my hobbies are very technology related. Web Design, I'm learning Java Programing, Photoshop, etc. I'm annoyed when my computer has a problem and I can't use it because it stops productivity and I feel the need to fix it right then and there. :P I have my own desktop computer which is seven years old, and for Christmas I got a nice laptop. ^^

• Like 1

I'm behind my computer a loooot... even if I'm beading and stuff, I'll still sit behind the computer.

couple of days ago I kinda killed it and I've been buisy the whole evening just to fix it back into the state it was... if it wouldn't have worked out straight away (like it did this time) I'd probably have been busy all night too...... yeah that is how attached to my little laptop I am....

When I don't have internet I have no idea what to do and usually end up walking around aimlessly n smsing my boyfriend waaayyy too much.

On the flip side, when i don't have it I don't have to check my uni email which is usually full of assignment stuff or 'overdue' notifications and warnings so it's nice not to have to see that but still... I love my computer so.

Also I sleep better with no computer because it doesn't keep me up late. Anyone else find that an absence of computer means more sleep?

Edited by writeincode