To take the job or not

JamesSavik

Take the job or not???  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take the job knowing that I have to spend years in Afghanistan and Iraq?

• Awe hell no!
    • Dude, you're just going to have to work this one out yourself.
    • Take the job and your medications you krazy bastard
    • You would be crazy to pass up the oppertunity
    • Go. Your 20" neck is too big for al qaeda to cut your head off.
    • Why can't you just have normal probles you shiite

I am talking to a big contractor who does a lot of work overseas. Here at home my job prospects are OK but not stunning and the contractor is interested in me to run multi-million dollar data and telecommunications projects. If I spent 6 years there with bonuses, I could retire comfortably and live anywhere I want in the US, Canada or Australia a millionaire.

Chance of a lifetime or very serious trap? The catch???

The job is in Iraq and Afghanistan building a new national communications infrastructure.

You honestly didn't think I'd post an easy one did you???

I am talking to a big contractor who does a lot of work overseas. Here at home my job prospects are OK but not stunning and the contractor is interested in me to run multi-million dollar data and telecommunications projects. If I spent 6 years there with bonuses, I could retire comfortably and live anywhere I want in the US, Canada or Australia a millionaire.

Chance of a lifetime or very serious trap? The catch???

The job is in Iraq and Afghanistan building a new national communications infrastructure.

B) ..............Hopefully if it's in Iraq, they will build it in the Kurds area. I've talked to several "contracters" and the Kurds love us and protect their area very well. BTW why can't you have normal problems?

Yeah I've got nothing for you here. I've had friends who went to Iraq for a year or so, but six years? Well, it could be the adventure of a lifetime and think of all the stories you'll be able to tell. On the other hand, that's a long time to be away from family and friends, I probably couldn't do it for that long. And it's not like you can't hop on a plane and see your family, the airports there aren't that convenient.

Edited by scoopny

You can't have normal problems, could you? Oh no, you have to be the one with the "Go to Iraq or not for a job that can make me a millionaire." Oh yeah, you nuts.

Though, take the job, just be extra careful, please. We like you to much for you to up and disappear on us.

Awe hell no!

Contractor Deaths in Iraq

I can only speak for myself. I'd rather be comfortable, happy and working here in the US than take a change on being rich but dead in either of those two countries.

As for the Kurds, why would they like us? We sent strong signals we'd support an uprising and then let them get gassed to death.

I've often thought about taking a long term contracting job overseas. The money & adventure would be the biggest motivators 'For', but one thing I always worried about was being openly gay wherever I ended up.

I'd worry about that in a predominantly Muslim country.

Anywho, good luck no matter what you decide :)

I don't think there should be any problems in you going there... Hell, I lived in New Delhi and was just 0.5 Km (as the crow flies) away from a suicide blast attack in the city!!

Danger can be anywhere. Did the people living in Ground Zero think that such a fate would fall on them, on their soil? I don't think so.

Life is another name for risk. :)

All the best for whatever decision you take. My wishes (and prayers) are with you. :hug:

BeaStKid

If I were 42 (like you) without any long term relationship, I would first study very hard the details of the contract, for instance :

- Are the risks covered through different insurances (life, illness, aso) ?

- Normally, work contracts abroad include yearly paid holidays home, with travel expenses paid. Is it the case ?

- Where will you live ( in protected areas, in open places, among the locals or separated from them ) ?

- Could you talk with others who made already same contracts with the same company and ask them about their experiences ?

- Are you sure about the bonuses ? Any risks that the contractor could pretend that you haven't right to them, because of the way he considers the work done by you ?

- Will you work alone or in group with other American employees ?

At the end of your contract, you will be 47 or even 48. Several of my friends who worked years abroad had a lot of psychological difficulties to retire and go to rest. They didn't bear the changes. Are you sure you will ?

My personal advise :

If all the questions above are well answered, I would go !

BTW, when I made bankrupt 30 years ago, I had also an opportunity to emigrate to India and work for an UNO organisation. I was ready to go, but i wasn't alone (wife and 4 children) so i decided not to go. It was a hard decision but the opinions of all family members were more important that mine. Sometimes, i regret my decision :lol: .

Okay, this is not as easy as I first thought. If you don't like travelling, for instance, it'd probably be a bad idea to do this, and if you'd have to go to high-risk areas all the time, too. And you're an American, which probably increases the risk somewhat.

It's not a good idea to do this kind of thing only for the money, either. But if you want to see these places, and it doesn't involve travelling through dangerous areas all the time (some risks you may have to take), then it'd certainly deserve some consideration. Of course you'd want to make sure that you'd be able to go home on leave every year, that you'd be able to travel in the area (to see the things you want to see), etc.

I have a friend who is in Sudan right now, for similar reasons. He's certainly enjoying it, although it is dangerous, but if you don't think you'll find the places you're going to interesting, you shouldn't do it. If you're going be somewhere for six years you need to want to go to that particular place or else it'll be unbearable.

If you do want to, however, I say go for it! Does it seem tempting, are you curious, does it make you feel excited? Will you regret it if you don't go? In that case, go. But if not, think it over carefully. And if it's only the money that is tempting, it's probably a bad idea to do it.

I hope it's not too agonising -- good luck!

Edited by Procyon White

Regardless of the danger...

Six years in a totally foreign land with totally alien culture, away from friends & family...

That waaaayyyy too long.

Maybe one or two years, but SIX!!??!!

No way!

Kit

The last British holder of that job was kidnapped, and I believe is still in captivity. If you take the job trust nobody. How much can you do remotely either from within (Green zone) or outside the country. Good Luck, whatever you decide.

• Site Administrator

It's your life, James. It's the old issue -- to make a lot of money real fast you have to accept risks. It's a gamble and if you're happy with the level of risk and the reward is suitable, then you say yes. If the risk is unacceptable or the reward insufficient, you say no.

Iraq and Afghanistan are not the complete quagmire of violence, though that is the impression that the media sometimes gives. There are safe(ish) areas and unsafe areas. Since I don't know what the job will entail (will it require travel to the unsafe parts, and what transportation options are there when passing unsafe areas?) I can't make the call for you. The degree of risk aversion is always a personal thing.

Personally, I wouldn't take it. I'm too risk adverse, and that is without taking into account my family. Even if I was single I wouldn't take it -- I would consider the risk too high. However, I know people who wouldn't have a problem with the risk and that's fine -- it's what YOU are comfortable with that's important, not what I'm comfortable with.

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

It's totally your choice, like it's been said. Just be careful outside contractors are likely to get kidnapped, but then again, how many outsiders are there over there, how many gets kidnapped.

do like Old bob said,

look at point like, will you be able to come back every few months on vacations, what is your living accommodation is it in some kind of safe zone, or are you going in a calm region over there. what if something were to happen, do they have good insurance?

Finally, my last question for you, try to forget about the money.. Is it something that you'd want to do if there wasn't as much money in the end? How much impact has the money factor in your decision?