Hey!

I loved how you broke this story up, like a miniseries, showing each stage of his attempt to make it on his own, and be himself. He initially doesn't know the cost of it, but soon realizes it rather quickly.

There's a huge amount of bravery and courage, even if he eventually comes back. So he has to go to counseling and hide until he can go off to college and meet someone and live happily, but it still took a great amount of courage to even walk out the door, or even make the decision not to stick around under his parent's rules.

A great piece.

Okay, so during the first half of the story, as much as I know that it is a serious story, I had to stop several times to laugh and wipe my tears away.

But the moment I hit the second half, I stopped laughing and started to think.

This is a great story, blending laughter and real life into the tale flawlessly. Very nicely done.

Yes, indeed, an excellent story.

The presentation is most unique. The narrator describes his 'fall from grace' using a distant, almost unemotional, voice. His Catholic upbringing causes him to draw a parallel between his sequence of actions and a sinner stumbling his way through the seven deadly sins. Yet, his story telling is rife with sarcasm and irreverence, largely toward himself, but not in a self-deprecating manner at all. I sensed in him a quiet anger; an anger tempered with a surrendering to the reality of who he is.

As Tiff aptly points out, there is strength in this young man. He has a dream for himself and, thus, the courage to persevere, to suffer whatever humiliation that is now his due, and survive it. To conquer it, actually. And that brings me joy.

Conner

Interesting that his final 'selling out' wasn't prostitution but losing himself to the demands of his parents and their counseling. To sell out in body or in mind? A painful decision for anyone to make. Who knows if he really made the right decision?

Interesting that his final 'selling out' wasn't prostitution but losing himself to the demands of his parents and their counseling. To sell out in body or in mind? A painful decision for anyone to make. Who knows if he really made the right decision?

I don't know if I could go back and go to counseling, not that it would work on me, don't they realize it just makes the kids hate them more ? Other choice to me wasn't a good one either.

As Tiff aptly points out, there is strength in this young man. He has a dream for himself and, thus, the courage to persevere, to suffer whatever humiliation that is now his due, and survive it. To conquer it, actually. And that brings me joy.

Right He will bare it out, wonder if the parents will then realize there errors when there not apart of his life.

The style and the story telling are great, even though I'm not terribly into this sort of plot. As it's short and adheres to the time frame of the narrative, it's rather brilliant. One small question: can't there be a font choice to make it look a bit more out of the ordinary? Simplicity is good, but there are other basic fonts that look like a little more thought was put into the online posting of the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome story, I actually made an effort to retrieve my account to comment on this!

I like how this story is still borders on a lighter tone as compared to the other stories in this season's anthology. I loved the style of writing. Ahoy!

Do keep up the good werk! <3

• Site Administrator

Fantastic. The story itself is good, but the style of telling it lifts it up out of the ordinary. That sarcastic tone throughout the tale, and the way the narrator realises the mistakes he's made, one by one, all the way back to the original mistake of having unrealistic dreams.

In the end he's not sold out on his dreams, he's only postponed them. He knows he's not ready for his dream and has some more trials to endue first.

Bravo! :2thumbs: