Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Music?

I don't know about you guys, but I like to listen to music while I read stories. Throughout LTMP I was largely listening to the Gorillaz, Linkin Park, and Puscifer, and occasionally the sound track to the Adult Swim show Metalocalypse (band is called Deth Klok). I found the Gorillaz and Linkin Park to be quite suitable during the Instinct storyline, while Puscifer and Deth Klok sounded quite well as theme music for the Scar (and also the Instinct European tour for some odd reason, probably because I was drawing the conclusion then that Jerry and the Scar were same person).

How about you guys?

I can't, or at least won't, listen to music when I'm trying to read, write, or speak. It drives me crazy! I can't focus and after awhile I get very irritated and moody.

I do like Gorillaz and Linkin Park a lot though, and I'm sure their songs would be very suitable!

I can't, or at least won't, listen to music when I'm trying to read, write, or speak. It drives me crazy! I can't focus and after awhile I get very irritated and moody.......

Normaly, I like to listen to light music (classic or romantic songs) while I'm working on the computer (excel or words), but as soon as a difficulty appears which should be resolved, I stop the music.

Reading a story (GA or others) or a rapport needs my full concentration, especially when it is in another language as my mother tongue. Then, I do like Kevin, but without becoming crazy :lol: .

BTW, listen to Mozart, Beethoven or Mahler needs your full attention if you really want to enjoy.

On the other side "pseudo" classics like "Andr

Bob, I know you've got a few years on me. But still. When you've been a Mozart fan for as long as I have--my grandfather introduced me to it before I even have memories of it--it doesn't necessarily require your full attention. I'm quite capable of appreciating the music and a story at the same time. I can't say that about any other genre of music. Maybe I'm just good at multi-tasking. shrug.gif;)

If music didn't exist I'd have to invent it to make life worthwhile. thumbs-up.gif

BTW, I'm listening to Bach's, Die Kunst Der Fuge, while catching up on forum threads. I can appreciate the contrapuntal style while still doing a decent job of reading and reply to threads. :)

I guess it's all in what you get used to. :)

Bob, I know you've got a few years on me. But still. When you've been a Mozart fan for as long as I have--my grandfather introduced me to it before I even have memories of it--it doesn't necessarily require your full attention. I'm quite capable of appreciating the music and a story at the same time. I can't say that about any other genre of music. Maybe I'm just good at multi-tasking.

Hi Gary,

Everything depends on what you await from the listening of "high" classic music like Bach, Mozart or Beethoven. I'm not so lucky as you. Multi-tasking was never my strong side and with the years going on, I have more difficulties to concentrate.

Music is also very important to me, it's the door to a fully other world and when the door opens, I want to to penetrate in the world of the composer with all my mind.

If music didn't exist I'd have to invent it to make life worthwhile.

I fully agree with you. As a child, I never wanted to learn to play piano, and now I regret it 100 %.

BTW, I'm listening to Bach's, Die Kunst Der Fuge, while catching up on forum threads. I can appreciate the contrapuntal style while still doing a decent job of reading and reply to threads.

I dont like the "technical side" of Bach. I prefer his "cantates" or the "Brandenburger Concerti".

The same with Beethoven. When I'm in a "bad mood" just listening Beethoven's "Violin Concerto" or his 9th Symphony make me happy again. But I can't do anything else when listening. I have to be fully in it :great: . That's my weakness :whistle:

BTW, do you play any music instrument ?

Thanks for this nice discussion :worship: .

Old Bob

Bob, I'm sort of like you when it comes to playing a musical instrument. As a youngster I wanted to play the drums. My mother wanted me to learn guitar. As a result I can't do either one justice. It's so darned frustrating. Especially considering my former partner (now deceased) was a fantastic guitar player. He even wrote his own songs and jammed with a small group.

Please don't misunderstand me about high classical music. There are plenty of times when just listening to the music is all I want to do. I put on my headphones and tune everything else out.

When I'm in a bad mood I tend to go one of two routes. I'll either listen to all my versions of Mozart's Requiem, or I'll go totally off the deep end and listen to some very angry rock/rap music. :angry:

Right now I'm doing some beta-reading and listening to country music. Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash.

My tastes are quite varied as are my moods. ;)

BTW, I really respect you a lot. You're one of my favorite GA members. thumbs-up.gif

As a youngster I wanted to play the drums. My mother wanted me to learn guitar. As a result I can't do either one justice.

LOL, that's exactly how I feel when I try to listen to music and read/write/talk. I find that I can't properly pay attention to or enjoy either. Both end up being a waste of time!

I've always preferred to give one thing my undivided attention versus multi-tasking. I am rather good at blocking things out and staying focused though. Many times I've been in a restaurant, store, or other public place and had my companion complain about a crying baby, or an irritating buzzing, etc. My response is always an honest, "hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out."

I read a very excellent article several years ago about how men's brains are wired to focus on only one or two things and block everything else out while women's brains are wired for effective multi-tasking. The theory goes that this is a result of our ancient hunter-gatherer ancestors and the various tasks the genders tended to have. Something like men would go out stalking an animal and focus completely on the task while women stayed by the cave cooking said animal, taking care of the kids, and staying on the look-out for danger (I may be off a bit here, it's been years since I've read this).

I don't like the theory very much since I tend to try to downplay any differences between the genders as much as possible. If I were ruling the world men and women/boys and girls would be treated almost exactly the same with the same set of expectations and opportunities. It's a rather extreme position that many don't like and are eager to point toward evidence that seems to disprove this, but to me the only difference between a male and a female is the physical bits; I think the emotional and intellectual aspects are far nearer to identical than significantly different (or at least they would be if we quit brainwashing socializing people in the ways we do).

Anyway, I don't care for the theory, but it does seem anecdotally to be correct in my case, and many of the other men and women I know. Of course that's probably socialization and learning to some extent as well, and there's no telling how many cases (like perhaps you guys?) disprove it.

-Kevin

I think I was listening to Nine inch Nails the last time I was reading a story. Music seems to keep busy the part of my mind that would wander to other things. Hearing music I like keeps me focussed on what I am doing. I never thought of it as multitasking.

I don't like the theory very much since I tend to try to downplay any differences between the genders as much as possible. If I were ruling the world men and women/boys and girls would be treated almost exactly the same with the same set of expectations and opportunities. It's a rather extreme position that many don't like and are eager to point toward evidence that seems to disprove this, but to me the only difference between a male and a female is the physical bits; I think the emotional and intellectual aspects are far nearer to identical than significantly different (or at least they would be if we quit brainwashing socializing people in the ways we do).

Anyway, I don't care for the theory, but it does seem anecdotally to be correct in my case, and many of the other men and women I know. Of course that's probably socialization and learning to some extent as well, and there's no telling how many cases (like perhaps you guys?) disprove it.

-Kevin

As for the thoery, if it took a rigorus scientific study to find these differences they are probably boardering on the statisticaly insignificant. The other fact to note is that whenever a study comes out claiming a discover it is often followed by one that casts doubt on that discovery. The debate will continue for years and in the end the bias will likely be so small that no one will be able to blame their abilities/disabilities on it. I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Granted its still irritating as all hell to hear this stuff on the news.

......I read a very excellent article several years ago about how men's brains are wired to focus on only one or two things and block everything else out while women's brains are wired for effective multi-tasking. .... I don't like the theory very much since I tend to try to downplay any differences between the genders as much as possible.... Anyway, I don't care for the theory, but it does seem anecdotally to be correct in my case, and many of the other men and women I know.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin, my colleague in psychology :D ,

Its only a theory but theories could describe real facts ! Just to remember the "Jung's theory about "Animus" , the hidden man soul in a woman brain, and "Anima",the hidden woman soul in a man brain (a very quick an partially wrong way to present this theory). We have all both components, male and female, in our body and soul. Sometimes the female part take the power sometimes the other !

I experimented it a lot, aspecially, as an extravert typ wtih an intravert anima :funny:

Thats real life, both parties are right, as usual, but not at the same time :D

Take care yourself and have a nice day.

Old bob

Edited by old bob

Often when I'll be reading/write some story, I'll be on my laptop, sitting on the couch in front of the tv, and have some tv show on DVD in the back ground (just to make some 'friendly' noise in the background and to have something to look at when I need a break),,, talk about multi-tasking,,, :P

But other time when I'll be reading in my room I'll also be listening to music (simply my ipod on shuffle). In both case, when I'll get to part that needs more of my attention the noise will get just too aggressing and I'll turn it off.

Heck, I've also been known to write stories alone in my room with a movie going on on my other puter :P

I think I was listening to Nine inch Nails the last time I was reading a story. Music seems to keep busy the part of my mind that would wander to other things. Hearing music I like keeps me focussed on what I am doing. I never thought of it as multitasking.

Thank you! That's a fantastically perfect way of defining the role music plays when I'm reading or even doing software development. :)

I'll stop referring to it as multitasking immediately.

What should I call it though?

As for the thoery, if it took a rigorus scientific study to find these differences they are probably boardering on the statisticaly insignificant. The other fact to note is that whenever a study comes out claiming a discover it is often followed by one that casts doubt on that discovery. The debate will continue for years and in the end the bias will likely be so small that no one will be able to blame their abilities/disabilities on it. I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Granted its still irritating as all hell to hear this stuff on the news.

I would definitely agree with that!!

Hi Kevin, my colleague in psychology :D ,

Its only a theory but theories could describe real facts ! Just to remember the "Jung's theory about "Animus" , the hidden man soul in a woman brain, and "Anima",the hidden woman soul in a man brain (a very quick an partially wrong way to present this theory). We have all both components, male and female, in our body and soul. Sometimes the female part take the power sometimes the other !

I experimented it a lot, aspecially, as an extravert typ wtih an intravert anima :funny:

Thats real life, both parties are right, as usual, but not at the same time :D

Take care yourself and have a nice day.

Old bob

Great points, as always :)

It's interesting because I think very often music would help set the mood for a scene and really help flesh it out. Indeed in a couple of the scenes I intend to write for a story I'm working on I really want my reader to listen to particular songs in relation to the scenes taking place. If they're able to do this while reading the scene that more power to them! I think my preference for this would be to read the scene, then reflect on it while listening to the music.

In this way, despite what would probably seem like an apparent disinterest in the topic, I'm actually very much looking forward to, and enjoying, the responses of the various readers. Personally, I think the best band to embody what I imagine to be Instinct's sound and style would be Audio Slave.

In this way, despite what would probably seem like an apparent disinterest in the topic, I'm actually very much looking forward to, and enjoying, the responses of the various readers. Personally, I think the best band to embody what I imagine to be Instinct's sound and style would be Audio Slave.

Some of their songs, do seem similar to a point, but the sound is a bit older.

Edited by Drewbie
Some of their songs, do seem similar to a point, but the sound is a bit older.

The sound might seem a bit older because Audioslave is made up of an ex-Soundgarden member and three former members of Rage Against the Machine. They seem to be a better group than either was with their former bands. And yeah, it would be nice if that's Instinct's style of music. I'm not sure Brandon could handle the ear-piercing shrieks that Chris Cornell does.

Different story but it had me thinking of this thread. I've taken up reading CJ's "For the Love" while awaiting new installments of LTMP and when he describes the car being driven into the chop shop I was amazed at how Atreyu's When Two Become One conveyed my emotions so perfectly. I later wanted to hunt CJ down and strangle him since he was taking his sweet time in revealing the car's fate.

I also thought of Kevvers last night. My sister introduced me to a couple of popular games and I noted that Kevin would absolutely HATE playing Guitar Hero III and Rock Band, simply because you need to listen to the music while playing. If you turn off the sound and just watch the screen you just look and a feel like a tool, lol.

I also thought of Kevvers last night. My sister introduced me to a couple of popular games and I noted that Kevin would absolutely HATE playing Guitar Hero III and Rock Band, simply because you need to listen to the music while playing. If you turn off the sound and just watch the screen you just look and a feel like a tool, lol.

Ouch! rofl.gif

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..