ebook reading device

Lugh

ok so I've been reading a lot of ebooks here of late... I was looking for a device on which to read them when I am away from my computer. I have looked at a couple PDA type devices, some tablet PCs, and of course the ever popular ebook readers. Any thoughts?

Personally I would "like" a multi-use gadget... but the pirmary goal is to read ebooks.

and please do not suggest the Kindle :thumbdown:

ok so I've been reading a lot of ebooks here of late... I was looking for a device on which to read them when I am away from my computer. I have looked at a couple PDA type devices, some tablet PCs, and of course the ever popular ebook readers. Any thoughts?

Personally I would "like" a multi-use gadget... but the pirmary goal is to read ebooks.

and please do not suggest the Kindle :thumbdown:

LOL, I was going to mention that I created a thread for the Kindle several months ago and link to it...but I shan't bother with that in then.

I vaguely recall hearing good things about Apple's i-book e-book reader (I think that's what it's called).

There was a book reader released by amazon.com but i'm not sure of the name. I also know of one that Borders carries (not sure fo the name for that one as well).

Personally, I liked using my old palm pilot (a zire 71) because I could download acrobat reader and read a ton of stuff using it.

My best advice to you would be to goto a electronics store and see waht they have to say, or maybe even a book store and ask there as well. (But check out the reader on Amazon.com because I heard a lot of good things about it).

As Always!

Heh - um, the amazon.com (and borders) reader IS the Kindle. Sony also has an ebook reader out there.

Personally, I love using a windows mobile device - I had a Dell Axim for the longest time until it stopped working - it was my main way of reading online fiction. Now I have the AT&T Tilt - and love it as well for reading, as well as giving me a handheld GPS unit and smartphone.

Can the Verizon voyager or blackberry read ebooks?

i'm not sure about the voyager, but the blackberry maybe because some do run a windows os that you can download os software for.

as with me, I love my sidekick because of the internet access that lets me read the hosted authors works (though efiction and the forums along with blogging are a pain to use on it).

The Garmin Nuvi is a pretty good ebook reader if you're on the road.

That's my Margret! (I call her that) She's a Garmin Nuvi, but I only use her as a GPS. I knew she was brilliant with directions but I had no idea she could read as well! :wub:

I wonder if she's the wrong model or something...really seems like I would know if she could read. For instance I'm well aware of her proficiency as an MP3 player.

Edited by AFriendlyFace

Mine's the Nuvi 660. Go to to the travel tool kit (if your has it) and in the menu it should be on the first page. BTW, the MP3 player on mine sucks because the song stops so that the voice giving the directions can talk, then it starts again. It drives me crazy. Also, I get this feeling that when I don't take the highlighted route that it wants me to take, it gets an attitude about it.

Mine's the Nuvi 660. Go to to the travel tool kit (if your has it) and in the menu it should be on the first page. BTW, the MP3 player on mine sucks because the song stops so that the voice giving the directions can talk, then it starts again. It drives me crazy. Also, I get this feeling that when I don't take the highlighted route that it wants me to take, it gets an attitude about it.

Yea, GPS devices no matter the brand end up giving additude about something.

Back when I had my samsung phone with gps directions, it litterally got an additude if i took a wrong turn. It would litteraly say "Make the next LEGAL u-turn and proceed down blah blah blah." I found it quite funny because it would also say "Calculating NEW route" if I took the wrong way. I think the GPS devices can be mean lol, that or mine was because I tended to drop it. lol

Yea, GPS devices no matter the brand end up giving additude about something.

Back when I had my samsung phone with gps directions, it litterally got an additude if i took a wrong turn. It would litteraly say "Make the next LEGAL u-turn and proceed down blah blah blah." I found it quite funny because it would also say "Calculating NEW route" if I took the wrong way. I think the GPS devices can be mean lol, that or mine was because I tended to drop it. lol

LOL Margret does get a bit snippy if I ignore her. She has a delicious, long-suffering, exasperated quality to her voice as she says "recalculating".

Honestly I use her for everything, even trips for which I absolutely DO NOT need directions (like going from home to work or visa versa - it's only two miles away and I do it about four times a day 5 days a week). I mainly do this because she calculates my estimated time of arrival. I love this feature. It's also nice because sometimes I do zone out so it is nice to have someone say "Turn Left in 500 ft" even if I do know I need to do that, it gives me a heads up.

I also enjoy bitching back at her :lol:

Last year when I first got her I was in the car on the phone with a friend who was unaware of Margret's existence. Margret started getting loud and insistent about something or other and it was irritating me, so I blurted out in a very frustrated, angry voice, "Shut up, Margret! I'm trying to talk!".

To my friend it just sounded like a muffled voice in the background and then me snapping very angrily and rudely. So she awkwardly offered, "I can call you back later if now isn't a good time" :lol:

Edited by AFriendlyFace

BTW... GPS system talk a bit off <off topic> lol :P

But I do remember apple having a eBook reader, and I think my friend mentioned something with eBooks on her iPhone

Also as much as I like technology, I took the eBook reader for a spin the other day when I was at Borders, and all I have to say is give me paperback anyday (with the exception of GA when I'm reading it on my phone lol... I love my Sidekick :wub: )

Yea for me I don't read a lot of books but I would want a hardback or a computer, Generally I wouldn't want to read off of my mp3 player or a cellphone.

Others who do read on sidekick type device. Does your eyes hurt, usually enlarge the type face?

herm.. how about the eee1000 then? or the Nokia N810? any opinions? (still not impressed with the kindel)

Only thing about those is that if I had them, I'd most likely loose them cus they're so small. At least with my brick of a sidekick, I can know where it is and if its missing from the size and weight of it lol...

Also to add, we discussed the eee1000 in chat, and i'm not sure if you were there, but I looked it up and I don't think it's wroth the price they're asking for anyway.

Others who do read on sidekick type device. Does your eyes hurt, usually enlarge the type face?

It hasen't bothered my eyes and i'm used to looking at screens of 1600x1024

reason for edit: forgot to reply to Drewbie's question

LOL Margret does get a bit snippy if I ignore her. She has a delicious, long-suffering, exasperated quality to her voice as she says "recalculating".

Honestly I use her for everything, even trips for which I absolutely DO NOT need directions (like going from home to work or visa versa - it's only two miles away and I do it about four times a day 5 days a week). I mainly do this because she calculates my estimated time of arrival. I love this feature. It's also nice because sometimes I do zone out so it is nice to have someone say "Turn Left in 500 ft" even if I do know I need to do that, it gives me a heads up.

I also enjoy bitching back at her :lol:

Last year when I first got her I was in the car on the phone with a friend who was unaware of Margret's existence. Margret started getting loud and insistent about something or other and it was irritating me, so I blurted out in a very frustrated, angry voice, "Shut up, Margret! I'm trying to talk!".

To my friend it just sounded like a muffled voice in the background and then me snapping very angrily and rudely. So she awkwardly offered, "I can call you back later if now isn't a good time" :lol:

Yeah, sometimes I think Lola might one day tell me to get my own damn directions with the way I go off course some times. Lola is my Garmin Nuvi 200W. I picked Lola not because of the movie "RV", but because I can say it in a sexy voice to freak out my passengers... like "It's time I introduce you to... *pulls GPS out of glove box* Lola." Hahaha I love it.

I don't think Lola is literate though, since she's the base model. I don't need her to read books, because my eyes need to be on the road, not her. My uncle runs a body shop and his comment was, "ever since those GPS units came out, business has been GREAT!" lol. I also don't need her to play MP3s. My cars audio system is easily worth $1500 (not including satellite service, installation of everything was free, and no I didn't actually spend that much, thank you eBay!), so I would much rather use that to play MP3s than a dinky little GPS.