On 7/29/2023 at 4:16 PM, Daddydavek said:

Myr has statistics out the yazoo about the site, its readers, writers, commenters and supporters and has shared them in many ways and several times. To me, it's still an elusive question to account for the ebb and flow of visitors and readers.  Certainly some authors and their stories are big drivers.  However, it's the welcoming community that is the reason I visit regularly.  While I haven't been reading stories on site as much lately, that is due to my own personal circumstances and grief. 

Reaching out to Myr, I’m wondering where I can find these stats. I’m still confused about the way the numbers are presented. Some examples comparing a story similar to mine in length: the other story has twice as many views as mine and yet, the other story’s chapter views are considerably below mine. My chapter 1 views are much higher than the subsequent chapter views. I can understand that. But, why does one chapter in the middle have way more views than adjacent chapters? And, who and why are people making comments? It seems as if some are serial commenters because I see them making comments on several stories. Forty different people, so far, have reacted to one or more chapters. Is this a meaningful stat? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Myr said:

Please, in the future, separate questions instead of a mass of things clumped together. It makes it far easier to understand and faster to answer.

You can find your story's reading stats by clicking the stats button on your story. Or going to the "My" menu and select "My Statistics" in stories. This displays each story by "views".  Clicking on the story will give you the story's chapter breakdown.  It also shows you number of comments per chapter.

Views on a story are Views of the Story + Views of all Chapters.  If the story has more chapters, probably has more views.  If it has less chapter views and less chapters, but still high story views, that means lots of people click the story, read the description, but don't read the story. (enough of a blurb to get someone to click, but not enough to close the sale and get them to read)

Because more people clicked on that chapter.  whether they liked it and reread it a few times or it was a slow posting day and it had more exposure in the activity stream, so more people clicked, we have no idea.

I can't figure the purpose or meaning of this sentence without assuming this is your first day on the Internet.  So, under that assumption, the people making comments are members on the site who's name appears with the comment.  As to why they comment, presumably they are commenting about something they just read.  Pretty standard thing on the internet.

Yeah, no kidding? Members commenting on stories and chapters and reading more than one story...  I'm surprised this surprises you. 

Insomuch as you are getting engagement, yes, that's meaningful.  It means 40 different members enjoyed whatever you wrote enough to engage you about it.   Hopefully, you have engaged back by reacting or replying to said comments.  If not, you'll likely be considered rude and lose interactions.  And if people feel insulted enough, lose readership.

Good information. Thanks! I wonder if it would be helpful if all of this was used for an author page so that we can all navigate these stats in a more informed manner.

• Like 5