Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes Chapter Twelve

Wildone! It is true that La Palma is believed to be the steepest island in the world... And Santa Anato is fairly steep too, but, cliffs? Me? NEver! Why, those aren't cliffs... those are merely... rock formations aligned primarily in the vertical plane!

Of course, La Palma is just so steep that in some cases those aforementioned vertical mountains are pretty much just hanging there, waiting for the next eruption.

What makes La Palma special? It has spectacular scenery, and also this. In other words, it's a place that's really on the move. :)

Here's a link to an HTML copy of the above-linked PDF, for anyone who can't view a PdF. However, view the PDF if you can, as it has pictures, including of the modeling of the massive tsunami that is of... concern...

And, umm, yes, the Cubre Vieja (the volcano on the island) is overdue for an eruption.

However, the geology of the island, while interesting, might be entirely coincidental. :)

You know I get the feeling that there is nothing coincidental when it comes to your writing. :P

:ph34r:

You know I get the feeling that there is nothing coincidental when it comes to your writing. :P

:ph34r:

Now, whatever makes you say that? 0:)

When did I become a prolific member?????? :blink:

You are a postaholic! :P

So he means to destroy my house... thanks a lot CJ! lol

Don't blame me!! I didn't make that island... :P

CJ,

Thanks for the information on the La Palma tsunami, especially the landslide tsunami model formulae...most engrossing reading! :great:

Thanks! There are interesting arguments on both sides of the La Palma danger. Some (like the study I linked) claim an enormous slide, nearly half the island, and then hundred-foot tidal waves slamming into the US Eastern Seaboard. On the other hand, the study is flawed. The question is, how much? Here's two flaws; One is that the structure has been seen from water tunnels. La Palma is famous for its water tunnels, and that's reasobable, except for one thing; there are none on the volcano in question, just the extinct volcanos in the north. Second flaw: long runout slides do occur. There have been many in the Canary islands in the distant past. However, none are as big as the one postulated. For example, the pevious collapse at La Palma, several thousand years ago, would have only been large enough to hit the US Eastern Seaboard with Tsunamis akin to those of the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami.

Basically, the threat is indisputably real; the big question is: how large is it? However, it's safe enough, as long as that volcano isn't in an active phase.

BTW, in case anyone missed it, here is the link again, to the La Palma tsunami study.

BTW, have I mentioned thr\e title of Ch 13? Falling to Earth.

CJ :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..