Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Did I miss something? Here it is WEDNESDAY and no chapter 14.

Sorry, yes, Chapter 14, Prelude to War, is late. I was super late sending it to my team, and only through their efforts do we have it at all. However, I'm having internet trouble today. The best I can say is it will be up by noon, Arizona time (MST), today.

Sorry for the delay.

• Site Moderator

This will give me something else to read this afternoon when I get home from work. This is turning into a day with a lot of reading.

And I'm surprised no one else started this.

• Site Administrator
And I'm surprised no one else started this.

CJ had already posted that chapter 14 was going to be late, so I wasn't expecting it to be up at the normal time. :)

Even so, I'm amazed at the fast turn around. I had only sent him my feedback on the chapter a couple of days ago.

CJ had already posted that chapter 14 was going to be late, so I wasn't expecting it to be up at the normal time. :)

Even so, I'm amazed at the fast turn around. I had only sent him my feedback on the chapter a couple of days ago.

Due to me being horrendously late with the chapter, I tried a new method: I sent it to you, Shadowyness, Captain Rick, and Emoe all at once. I then created a master copy from Emoe's, and as each came back in I edited all accepted changes, plus changes I made in response to comments, into the master copy, then sent it off to Bondwriter for his zeta-reading.

This did NOT work well: The beta readers and Emoe ended up pegging some of the same typos, and thus it was a duplication of effort, and unfair of me to inflict on everyone (Sorry! I wasn't thinking..). 15 is already in beta, so hopefully we won't face the problem again. I also have eight chapters still on my HD, written in the past two weeks. The reason I've been so late is I needed to make certain that some details in later chaptewrs match the ones we're looking at now, and couldn't do for certain until I'd written them.

BTW, the only reason we have a chapter this week at all is due to the speedy efforts of my team. :worship:

We all need to read Chapter 14 and then discuss it at the thread Drewbie started: https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21263

And, Your Amphibiousness, we eagerly await your certification of the chapter as Cliffhanger-Free! :)

Ok, the chapter thread is here, thanks Drewbie!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

????

Hmm, other than the misdirection of the chapter name, I didn't see anything about a delay.

Oops, I guess there is still 12 hours left in Tuesday in the goat's timezone. :P

Unless.............another sign of the evil, misdirecting goat :D

????

Hmm, other than the misdirection of the chapter name, I didn't see anything about a delay.

Oops, I guess there is still 12 hours left in Tuesday in the goat's timezone. :P

Unless.............another sign of the evil, misdirecting goat :D

I try to have the chapter posted by 1pm Tuesdays, and I can say that this chapter will be posted at least 15 minutes early. :) (yes that means within the next ten minutes.. just doing a final check of the HTML now...)

CJ :)

I try to have the chapter posted by 1pm Tuesdays, and I can say that this chapter will be posted at least 15 minutes early. :) (yes that means within the next ten minutes.. just doing a final check of the HTML now...)

CJ :)

Unless of course he breaks the php again :ph34r:

Unless of course he breaks the php again :ph34r:

Ahhem! Shadowyness.. that would be, stated more correctly, "Breaks the php yet again."

Please do try and get that right. :P

What his Shadowyness is referring to is php includes. I use dynamic php includes on my site, to drive things like the chapters menu. That way, the chapters menu is one file, and I don't have to update all prior chapter pages merely to add a chapter. I've also got a site redesign under way, which should be rolling out soon. :)

Ahhem! Shadowyness.. that would be, stated more correctly, "Breaks the php yet again."

Please do try and get that right. :P

What his Shadowyness is referring to is php includes. I use dynamic php includes on my site, to drive things like the chapters menu. That way, the chapters menu is one file, and I don't have to update all prior chapter pages merely to add a chapter. I've also got a site redesign under way, which should be rolling out soon. :)

I'll play nice and forget to mention what happened last time someone tried to do a site redesign :P

I'll play nice and forget to mention what happened last time someone tried to do a site redesign :P

Thank you for not mentioning that, Your Cliffhangeryness. :P

What happened was, I changed filenames, and in so doing bungled up all the links to chapters (from GA and elsewhere on the 'net) on my site. Big mess! Oops!

This time, I'll be adding redirects to the chapter names that will be changing (FTL's chapters). FTL was posted to my site all at once, so I was lazy and created those pages as html. They are changing to .php so I can do the dynamic menus. (we'll have nav sidebars, like on my main page, on all the pages of my site). By using PHP, if I want to add something to a menu, I only need to update one file, not every page on my site (which has several hundred pages now).

I'll post a test page soon, so y'all can see what I'm up to and offer feedback. :)

Thank you for not mentioning that, Your Cliffhangeryness. :P

What happened was, I changed filenames, and in so doing bungled up all the links to chapters (from GA and elsewhere on the 'net) on my site. Big mess! Oops!

This time, I'll be adding redirects to the chapter names that will be changing (FTL's chapters). FTL was posted to my site all at once, so I was lazy and created those pages as html. They are changing to .php so I can do the dynamic menus. (we'll have nav sidebars, like on my main page, on all the pages of my site). By using PHP, if I want to add something to a menu, I only need to update one file, not every page on my site (which has several hundred pages now).

I'll post a test page soon, so y'all can see what I'm up to and offer feedback. :)

server crashed a day later.... funny coincidences like that :wacko:

server crashed a day later.... funny coincidences like that :wacko:

Shadowyness!! That server crash was hardware, not software, and it was well after my site goof. :P

I do, however, know thew real reason that the server hardware failed... That server, after all, hosts LiS 26, and the poor server, teetering on the edge of the malevolent precipice, finally lost its grip and toppled into the looming abyss.

Shadowyness!! That server crash was hardware, not software, and it was well after my site goof. :P

I do, however, know thew real reason that the server hardware failed... That server, after all, hosts LiS 26, and the poor server, teetering on the edge of the malevolent precipice, finally lost its grip and toppled into the looming abyss.

HA we all know it was one of those errant missiles shot at a crippled bizjet

HA we all know it was one of those errant missiles shot at a crippled bizjet

I'm surprised you didn't claim it was EMP that fried the server! :P

But come now... Surely you know that it can only be LiS 26, the Mother of All Cliffhangers! It was just too much for the poor server to take! Serveres are supposed to be in nice, clean, safe, air-conditioned rooms. Not teetering on the edge of a crumbling precipice, on the very edge of a gaping, dizzying abyss!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..