The Nomi Song

Guest manicallyhip

Guest manicallyhip

So, I was at a gay pride event last week in LA and i came accross this film that was just released on DVD. It's called The Nomi Song, and its about Klaus Nomi, a new wave performance artist from the late 70s in New York. He was a mixture of rock god and performance artist, but what I loved was his ability to blur the gender lines as a back drop to his statement, rather as his primary statement. Unfortunately, Nomi passed awaying in the early 80s. He was one of the first notable people to die of AIDS. But the film also does a great job of depicting the world of the East Village, a world just before the breakout of AIDS. I world I wish i lived in. Anyway, I honestly fell in love with this film and want everyone in the world, or at least the gay community, to see it. Also, wondering if any of you know of any good gay films that will have screenings in LA or Seattle (im going up their on the 25th for an event for The Nomi Song. My friend who works at Universal told me about it).

Yeah, I saw the trailers for that a while before it came out and meant to see it. I didn't know about him being gay, I just thought he was a very strange european. But you're right about the gender bending through the alien motif, it was great. I too long for the golden era of the Factory or Studio 54. Now one is becoming condos and the other is hosting a tragic reprise of Pacific Overtures. Oh well, at least Washington Square park isn't getting a wall.

PS, did you mention this in the "Gay Movies" thread? It seems appropriate to announce the DVD there.

Guest manicallyhip

Thanks, I didnt even notice there was a Gay Movie tread...ill definately mention it.

And ya, times definately have changed...i saw caberet in studio 54 about two years ago...i was sitting in the balcony thinking, "I wonder how many people have had sex up here"....and ironically i used to live in the NYU dorm called The Palladium, which is the same building as the old dance club the Palladium....

so you haven't seen The Nomi Song, I definately recommend it....i loved the film...and ya...Klaus Nomi was gay...he was a wierd little german man too....but he definately had male lovers....the best part is that no one seemed to care....it wasnt a big deal..he just happened to be gay.....

again, see the film, i really did love it.