Quoting song lyrics

I want two characters meet and one sing/repeat the lyrics of a stanza to the other, because he does not know how to better express himself.

It is not a quote of the full song. Group/Band would be mentionied.

I think that is not allowed. Am I right?

Edited by lawfulneutralmage
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Fingers Crossed 2
On 8/26/2023 at 2:48 PM, lawfulneutralmage said:

I want two characters meet and one sing/repeat the lyrics of a stanza to the other, because he does not know how to better express himself.

It is not a quote of the full song. Group/Band would be mentionied.

I think that is not allowed. Am I right?

I have noticed song lyrics quoted in a few stories. On each occasion, I have also seen the song title, performer, writer and copyright acknowledged by the author. It would be interesting to know what the site policy is and where an author stands in relation to it as this is something that I think would be of benefit to all authors.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Site Administrator

Authors open themselves up to lawsuits by quoting any copyrighted material in any of their posted content because it's written under their copyright (unless public domain/fair use applies). Long story short, we (GA) are not liable for anyone else making the mistake of copying content that does not belong to them. You never know who is litigious and it could cost you money for using it, even if you're not making money with free fiction posting. And, FYI, attribution and not making money doesn't equate to a legal defense.  I do not recommend doing it. It's simple enough to evoke the mood or feeling by making up your own lyrics or write that your character is listening to music and describe how it makes them act or feel. 

https://creativelawcenter.com/using-song-lyrics-in-fiction/

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Thank you @Cia for the info. It is really helpful and definitely something to remember. I followed the link to the article and read it in full which explains in more detail what you have told us. I would suggest that other authors read the article as it is very informative.

• Like 4