aggression from homophobes

old bob

aggression from homophobes  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have you yourself had to endure an aggression from homophobes?

• Yes, once
    • Yes, often
    • No
    • I dont remember
  2. 2. If yes how did you react?

• Aggressively
    • Not answering
    • Avoiding the threats
    • Others (explain)
  3. 3. What did you do to withstand further aggressions?

• remove from the place I live or work
    • Finding support from friends
    • Participate in GBLT Organizations
    • Nothing
    • Others (explain)
  4. 4. If No, how would you react in case you were aggressed?

• Aggressively
    • Not answering
    • Avoiding the threats
    • Others (explain)
  5. 5. Were people around you or near you aggressed by homophobes?

• Yes, once
    • Yes, often
    • No
    • I dont know

Homophobia is an irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Recently, I had the opportunity to remember how people around me behaved with gays, since from 40 years ago till now, and I came to the conclusion that I was happy to live in a society which was and still is much less

A lot of this depends on where you live. You see more aggressive behavior in places like the bible belt.

In my case its like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I've had enough of it and repay it in broken bones.

To me the threat isn't from a skin head in an alley. I'll f**k him up so bad his mother won't know him.

The real problem is that "skinhead" or religious nut in authority- the one that's a cop, or an employer or a judge.

I remember one time I was in New York City, back when I would dress in a very punk fashion, and on this occassion I wore a black shirt with white lettering that said "Sorry girls, i'm gay."

I was riding the subway back to Penn Station when this guy who I never saw before decided to start harassing me. He kept calling me the spanish word for fag and some other not so nice stuff. At first I ignored him until I got off at the platform, a stop ahead of where I was suppsoed to get off. He decided to follow me off the platform then he did the not so good thing. He grabbed me by the shoulder.

I spun around and hooked him in his face, breaking his nose (I could tell by the amount of blood that was pouring from it). I then took a step back and round house kicked him, sending him to the ground. When he was down on the ground I told him in spanish "How's it feel to get youer butt handed to you by a fag?"

People who were watching started to applaud me and I smiled. I left the station and proceeded to walk to Penn Station.

This is why you don't mess with someone who's had two years of self defense training and also took kickboxing... we're vicious. Also I do feel a little bad for beating the crud out of him because well, that's not who I am, but I do claim self-defense in this case so I don't feel as bad.

Eric

I have only been attacked once, outside a gay nightclub, as I was about to buzz the door. I put up a hell of a fight, but what can you do against 5 or 6 of them? Learned my lesson from that, always walked with someone in the future.

As for verbal abuse, not so much. Think that has more to do with my size than anything, according to my man I can be quite intimidating! lol

I think a lot has moved on though since I first came out in the late 80's. Certainly here in the UK anyway. Ok we're not allowed to marry, but can have a civil partnership, which by all accounts gives more rights (tax wise) than a married couple. Age of consent is now equal across the board. There is still a hell of a lot to do, & a long way to go, but small steps.

But just going out & about, people seem to be a lot more accepting than they once were.

I'm not saying by any means that any kind of utopia exists, far from it. But attitudes are starting to change.

People who are friends of Gay, Lesbian...etc people can also fall into aggression from Homophobes. When I had a class for Government I had a heated encounter with someone just because I was pro-gay rights.

And yeah, I reacted aggressively, because he was aggressive with me. I remember punching him in the nose... not the best route to take for people, but heh.. I do have a temper. It is likely that if I see some homophobes acting aggressively I'll be likely to reciprocate the aggression at least verbally.

<hugs>SRevol<hugs>

I think that has to be the ultimate betrayal. I have never understood how any parent could be anything but loving to their own child, no matter what the circumstances.

A friend of mine went through it some years ago, & I was totally gobsmaked when he told his story. Makes me wanna punch a few thick heads in!

Hmm, the only incident I can remember happened about a year ago. I was walking downtown with a friend and this car passed with about four guys in it. As they were passing they rolled down the window and shouted "Fags!" It was windy and I hadn't even understood them, nor was I sure they were even talking to us. So I asked my friend what they'd said. After he told me, I shouted "F- off" at the back of their car, but they were already a block or so down the road, so I'm not sure if they even heard me.

So that's not really much of an experience, but my response was to react aggressively in kind.

I think a lot of it is posturing. I've been told several times that I have a confident, "don't mess with me" walk and stance, so I suppose that's why I haven't had very many problems in the past.

On a few occasions I've gotten the impression that someone was thinking something derogatory, or snickering about something, but I've found that in almost all such circumstances, just catching their eye and giving them a questioning/challenging look is enough to make them become uncomfortable and stop. Of course that's in public, "social" places where people are less inclined to want to make a big scene.

I suppose I would behave aggressively, in self-defense, in most such circumstances. I'm fairly confident in my ability to verbally go tit for tat with someone, and if they did decide to take it to the physical level I'd give 'em hell right back unless I was outnumbered or they were armed or something.

Anyway, I think it's important to avoid violence, but I think it's equally important to act like you can and will hold your own, and then do so if it does become necessary.

Just my thoughts :)

-Kevin