Concepts of Death

W_L

Are you afriad of death?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Are you afriad of death?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Is death a beginning or an ending?

• Beginning
    • Ending
    • Neither, perpetuates endlessly

This is not a political discussion; more a metaphysical and human discussion.

What do you "think" about death as a concept?

What do you "feel" about death as a concept?

Both are different, since I have realized in discussion many people have varied perspectives on this idea.

Death to my views is not a finite ideal; I consider it almost the core ideal to all life. Everything must end, everything must die. It is the unifying identity we share; whether rich or poor, powerful or weak, gay or straight, and any element in between. We will all die.

Ultimately, death is perhaps the most egalitarian principle of the universe, if we hold the truth that death is a unity concept and truly the infinity concept of existence. In the life cycle of stars and planets, they die and change into their basic elemental constructs to form new things. In the quantum level, elemental atomic structures age and change their composition resulting in decay and another type of death in reformation. Things change due to death.

Emotionally, I feel death is both a fearful unknown and a opening to something else. Even if you do not believe in an afterlife, what death does is free your materials back to the world that made you. When an animal dies, other carnivores will eat them and their bones will decay back as fertilizer for the earth to create new life.

It is like a completion rather than ending to existence.

How about you guys?

Hmm, I voted. I'm not scared of death. Even the most painful and scary ways to die... won't last forever, so I don't know.. I've just never really been scared of it. Scared sometimes of "when" that may happen, but not that it will or how. Not something to look forward to, mind you.

I also think its an end. Not a beginning.

Oh, I'm terrified of death. Why? I want to live and experience things for as long as possible- death ends that. No more experiences, you can't even experience nothingness because you're nothing. Sure you can hope for the best and believe in an afterlife but it's all just wishful thinking. When you're dead, you have no consciousness and your body rots six feet under...

So enjoy life while you're alive and don't waste it worrying about potential but highly improbable post-death consequences

Edited by writeincode

Sorry to disappoint you, by in my age Death is not a concept but a future :P .

I voted "No" on the first question and "Beginning" on the second.

For more about my opinion, see my comment in the Mark Arbour's topic " Suicide: Legal or Not?".

Edited by old bob

Knowing there's an end is something that propels people to live as they can.

Old Bob, I agree with your idea, very christian concept on free will, but I agree. We make our lives what it can be by our choices and death is always at the end of the road.

As for the idea of ending, why do people see death so much as an ending? I can understanding the new beginning process of an afterlife, but a majority do not fear death; yet, they also see it as finality.

Even if you don't believe in religion, then you can take the concept of returning to your own roots.

Life is only possible through death; in order for a human being to live other things must die even if you are a vegetarian consuming only plant life and fungi. After death, you give something back to the world that created you, the iron in your bone enriches the soil, the hydrogen and oxygen elements return to the earth, and you contribute to allowing another generation of human beings to live.

If consciousness is not recycling through reincarnation, then you can still be happy that consciousness was there to begin with.

Is conscious reality what defines life and its absence define death?

Knowing there's an end is something that propels people to live as they can.

Old Bob, I agree with your idea, very christian concept on free will, but I agree. We make our lives what it can be by our choices and death is always at the end of the road.

As for the idea of ending, why do people see death so much as an ending? I can understanding the new beginning process of an afterlife, but a majority do not fear death; yet, they also see it as finality.

Even if you don't believe in religion, then you can take the concept of returning to your own roots.

Life is only possible through death; in order for a human being to live other things must die even if you are a vegetarian consuming only plant life and fungi. After death, you give something back to the world that created you, the iron in your bone enriches the soil, the hydrogen and oxygen elements return to the earth, and you contribute to allowing another generation of human beings to live.

If consciousness is not recycling through reincarnation, then you can still be happy that consciousness was there to begin with.

Is conscious reality what defines life and its absence define death?

B) ................I think almost all most of religions offer a 'life after death concept' not just Christians, is it a 'got ya' by the ruling party of each country? You know to keep the peasants in line? Or does the concept run deeper and beyond politics? Who knows? My belief is that there is another avenue after we leave this shell life, and whatever it is, it is there.

Are you afraid of death? No. What I'm afraid of is the pain that the closed ones will feel after my gone. I don't want them to be super-sad or something.

Is death a beginning or an ending? I say it's both but that option wasn't there. :( So, I went with ending. What I believe is that Death is just the transition from one journey to the next. Ending of one journey and the beginning of the next.

Take care,

Ieshwar :)

Are you afraid of death? No. What I'm afraid of is the pain that the closed ones will feel after my gone. I don't want them to be super-sad or something.

Is death a beginning or an ending? I say it's both but that option wasn't there. :( So, I went with ending. What I believe is that Death is just the transition from one journey to the next. Ending of one journey and the beginning of the next.

Take care,

Ieshwar :)

Umm, perpetuate was the option I was hinting towards for that option that it's both an ending and beginning. Open "Circle of life" kind of deal. :D

I voted that I'm not afraid of death. Am I ready for it? No I am not. There are aspects of life I have yet to experience, like an evening in Paris and standing on top of a mountain. As for whether it is the end or the beginning, I say it is the end. Nothing, in my view, lasts forever. Humans are capable of a higher plane of existence than we were eons ago. Our understanding of science grows with every passing moment. We're always on the edge of discovering something new. Religion goes back to times when the human brain had not yet evolved to the point of being able to ultimately accept death and its permanence. Furthermore, I found out something interesting several months ago. I had went to Youtube and found an interesting video. In fact, I blogged about it if I remember correctly. Basically, modern religion mirrors that of old. There were so many similarities between Jesus and deities of past civilizations to the point where it must not be coincidental. Thus, I find it hard to believe in something that is simply an altered version of something else. I have come to the conclusion that religion is nothing more than a manifestation of fear and is also a way of maintaining order in a society. Since most, if not all humans, are capable of realizing that death is nothing to fear and that you can be a disciplined person with high moral standards is enough for me to strongly feel that religion is something that humanity does not reap benefits overall as a civilization. Rather, I believe it holds humans back to a narrow view of the universe. Death is not something to fear. Continuance is simply a matter of procreation. That is how a civilization lives on.

Edited by Tiger

I voted that I'm not afraid of death. Am I ready for it? No I am not. There are aspects of life I have yet to experience, like an evening in Paris and standing on top of a mountain.

Hi Tiger, I hope you will live long enough to fulfill your wishes. You are right, I did both, several times, and it's a source of joy (think of it when your mood is as described in your blogs ;) )

Nothing, in my view, lasts forever. Humans are capable of a higher plane of existence than we were eons ago. Our understanding of science grows with every passing moment. We're always on the edge of discovering something new.

IMO, our faith has nothing to do with our understanding of science

Religion goes back to times when the human brain had not yet evolved to the point of being able to ultimately accept death and its permanence.

My brain (just as an example :P ) has accepted death and its permanence, but IMO it doesnt mean that there is no after-life. I believe what I believe, with the same rights as you do. BTW, religion (in a very large sense of the word) is not fear, it's love. But the battle between "deists" and "atheists" will never end, for the pleasure of eternal discussions between friends :lol: .

Edited by old bob

I voted that I'm not afraid of death. Am I ready for it? No I am not. There are aspects of life I have yet to experience, like an evening in Paris and standing on top of a mountain. As for whether it is the end or the beginning, I say it is the end. Nothing, in my view, lasts forever. Humans are capable of a higher plane of existence than we were eons ago. Our understanding of science grows with every passing moment. We're always on the edge of discovering something new. Religion goes back to times when the human brain had not yet evolved to the point of being able to ultimately accept death and its permanence. Furthermore, I found out something interesting several months ago. I had went to Youtube and found an interesting video. In fact, I blogged about it if I remember correctly. Basically, modern religion mirrors that of old. There were so many similarities between Jesus and deities of past civilizations to the point where it must not be coincidental. Thus, I find it hard to believe in something that is simply an altered version of something else. I have come to the conclusion that religion is nothing more than a manifestation of fear and is also a way of maintaining order in a society. Since most, if not all humans, are capable of realizing that death is nothing to fear and that you can be a disciplined person with high moral standards is enough for me to strongly feel that religion is something that humanity does not reap benefits overall as a civilization. Rather, I believe it holds humans back to a narrow view of the universe. Death is not something to fear. Continuance is simply a matter of procreation. That is how a civilization lives on.

Here yee! A perfect rational mind :)

Sure, living on after death is a lovely comforting thought but just because something is comforting doesn't make it true. I'd rather not lie to myself about some things. Consciousness relies purely on our brain's ability to function. When it stops functioning it's the end. A brain rotting in the ground does not function. Some people say that our consciousness and our personality or whatever transcends physical boundaries but then explain major personality changes as a result of physical brain damage or dementia.

Not afraid.

It's the end of all. Once I'm out. That's it. No heaven. No hell. No afterlife. I'm too atheist for that sort of belief.

You don't have to believe in an afterlife per se, but how about the natural recycling that goes on and your contribution back to humanity, the world, and the universe at large.

You don't have to believe in an afterlife per se, but how about the natural recycling that goes on and your contribution back to humanity, the world, and the universe at large.

I may be taking you out of context here, but the "natural recycling" that should take place, wherein a person becomes reabsorbed into the earth, is largely blocked by the funeral methods commonly used in the US. What with embalming, and sealed caskets, the body decays in it's own sarcophagus and benefits nothing, no one.

A while back there was a guy here locally who wanted to be buried in a pine box so he could decompose and benefit the earth, but the morticians raised hell (so to speak) and gave him all kinds of legal grief. I'm not sure if that's allowed or not, the pine box thing, or to be buried with no box. Anyone up on mortuary laws?

I want my body to be used to grow the next summer garden for my family.

Are you afriad of death?

That asks if you got something to lose like a family or something vested into or unfinished business.

I guess the transition from life to death is fearful or a shock that its happening while lucid.

But if you knew when you be dead - then - most likely you would be afraid but maybe waiting that exact second.

Good thing life isn't really "Beat the clock" - the game to get one good deed before you die.

I can imagine how many play that game without being on the show.

I can only say for myself - if god says you're number is up or time for a new job he has for your soul

I can only go

Is death a beginning or an ending?

Death to the life you lead.

Unless you left a legacy of good or bad.

It defines a change in life.

Maybe something has to cease before something gets created.

If not the balance of energy be all out of wak.

Good thing this is all an opinion - I wouldn't really know all the rules of the universe.

We probably have to leave that all to those who can prove it long after we're gone provided someone doesn't withhold knowledge.

Welcome to the MATRIX

That's not particularly special. I wouldn't really feel honored knowing that grass could potentially grow using the nutrients produced once bacteria breaks down my body..

I may be taking you out of context here, but the "natural recycling" that should take place, wherein a person becomes reabsorbed into the earth, is largely blocked by the funeral methods commonly used in the US. What with embalming, and sealed caskets, the body decays in it's own sarcophagus and benefits nothing, no one.

A while back there was a guy here locally who wanted to be buried in a pine box so he could decompose and benefit the earth, but the morticians raised hell (so to speak) and gave him all kinds of legal grief. I'm not sure if that's allowed or not, the pine box thing, or to be buried with no box. Anyone up on mortuary laws?

I think jewish caskets have a semi-faulty bottom solely for the purpose of being 'reabsorbed back into the earth' or whatever (at least that's what my jewish school taught us [make no mistakes though, I'm only Jewish by blood]). Could he have not just pretended to be jewish?

I just looked up an interesting philosophical and religious conception of death in Theosophy, the blending study of multiple religious ideals seeking a spiritual plurality.

It's interesting blending of various religious ideals and human growth through life and death. I guess, my first posting on death was dealing more with the detail of death, but there is much more to it. Through death, we grow and understand our surroundings by cherishing those things we have in our temporal state.

I was just reminded of the dichotomy of life and death by the movie: What Dreams may come

It poses a lot of questions about loss and growth for both human beings dead and living. Does the death of another aspire creative impulse or destructive deconstruction? Are human trapped in a tragic spiral merely, because we can not forgive ourselves over incidents that were not our faults? Or Can human beings leap beyond such fates and create our own worlds of hopes through a belief held in our heart?

Life and Death, sounds like a philosophy question (now I realize I shouldn't have fallen asleep in that course :P )

To me, Death may be the end of physical life, but I also believe that it is the begining of a new existance. My religious beliefs are that I will continue to live on in heaven or hell and that's what gives me comfort in life.

While I would love to live on (to many times has the darkness of depression enveloped me and almost shuffled me loose my mortal coil) and live life to the fullest, at the same time I would love my death to be somehting of meaning. To die for someone who needs it, to protect someone, something like that would be fine by me. Even if I was involved with an accident, I would love for my organs or something like that to be used to help others.

To me, I want my life to have meaning and hopefully give hope to others, whether by helping them or giving them peace of mind and even in death I want the same thing, so I hope that one day it'll work both ways :)

Eric