What kind of music do you listen to?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of music do you listen to?

• Rock/punk/alternative
    • alternative
    • pop
    • trance/electronic/dance
    • country
    • R&B/hip hop
    • all of the above

Hey boys, girls and the old folks amongst us :P what styles of music does everyone listen to? Who are your favourite artists? What don't you like?

I love trance (the progressive, vocal, uplifting types) and house music, I honestly don't think I own a cd of another genre. For those that aren't familiar with what trance is, well it came from the old techno style, very high energy melodic beats, vocal trance has lush vocals, really beautiful stuff, a long way from the old techno days.

House music is actually very commercial these days, everyone would know it if they hear it, it

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mostly Japanese pop and rock music. (Don't knock it, some of it can be quite good). I find that having the vocals in different languages allows me to concentrate while studying whereas english vocals merely distract me. There's a few good trance-esque bits, "Inner Universe" by Origa and "Salva Nos" from the anime Noir are really good.

I tend to listen to the Pillows which I term "happy rock." My favorite song by them is probably "Crazy Sunshine" but "Hybrid Rainbows" is also pretty good ;) They did the soundtrack for an anime called FLCL which was random but good (The anime I mean).

Another good group is Two-Mix who also tend to also have really upbeat and fast-tempoed sound. They try and squeeze in the max beats per minute possible per song. I'd reccomend "White Reflection" which is the background music to the end of "Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz"

If you're interested in listening to any of these songs or artists check out gendou.com Free account and you can download a bunch of mp3's. Don't ask me about legality but the music is hosted on Apple's servers and the site has been running for over a year (possibly more) now.

That said I have a bit of The Beatles collection (I've had strawberry fields stuck in my head for the past two days), The Eagles and a smattering of Pink Floyd. I like jazz but I tend to not listen to it that much as I don't have much in my collection and the radio station that used to provide it had its signal range cut in half.

Oh, and I have fondness for Beethoven's 9th and Hayden's Messiah but I don't listen to classical music that much. It's not that I don't like it, it's just it requires time to sit and listen to and I tend to have a short attention span.

And there you have it, more than you ever wanted to know about my musical tastes.

//shadows

Edited by shadows

This is funny, on my drive home from work I thought about posting the classic desert island question... what 3 albums would you take. This question is fine.

Growing up the youngest of four (4, 6, and 8 years older, and I wasn't an accident, I was my dad being too tired to drive to the drug store my parents first night in California), I listened to the great 70's rock whether I wanted to or not.

It may be no surprise that my all time, #1, favorite band is Rush :music: , I could listen to nothing but 2112 for the rest of my life and be happy. I even have the string quartet versions of 2112 and Exit...Stage Left. You haven't heard anything until you have heard a lead violin playing YYZ. Having just seen Steve Miller, he is at the top of the list, along with AC/DC, Led Zepelin, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Halen (not Hagar), Bowie, Stones, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Ramones, The Clash, Cheap Trick... well, you get the picture.

For my 3 album question, I came up with Rush 2112, Steve Miller Greatest Hits 1974-1978, and Zepelin 4

:king: Snow Dog

Well this is a dangerous question. I could drive myself crazy trying to keep the list short. I like loud, energetic music, and I guess if I had to pick a favorite type I'd go with old school punk. I actually (gasp) agree with almost all of Snow Dog's choices, except I can't tolerate Pink Floyd. I have a thing for cheesy 80s rock, and my dirty little secret is that I sometimes listen to Poison-and like it. In my mp3 collection I've got everything from the Sex Pistols to Marilyn Manson to Johnny Cash. Despite, or maybe because of, my countrified upbringing, I hate country music, although I sort of like bluegrass. I was really into metal in high school, but I've kind of lost my taste for it. And oddly enough, I'm a big Benny Goodman fan, because I play clarinet.

Val

I like so many different types of music. However, I am addicted to Show Tunes. I tourture GoBears often with Wicked, Rent, Evita, Chicago, and Hair and many more. There is a bar in Chicago that has a Show Tune Night every Monday. It is so much fun. The whole bar sings along and interacts with the songs.

If I had to choose only three albums right now they would be Wicked, Ani Difranco's "Living in Clip" and Depeche Mode's "Violator".....but ask me again in a month and any one of those could change.

Mag

Oh, darn, can't believe I forgot about the musicals. I haven't acted in one in like 5 years but I can still sing you the songs for "Return to the Forbidden Planet," "The Music Man," "Annie," "Into the Woods" and I can hum along to most of Grease (I was stagecrew for that one).

It's so stereotypical, and I hate it, but ah well, that's me.

//shadows

At the moment I'm on a progressive trance binge. My current fav is Anjunabeats Volume 2 it's been on repeat the last 2 days, great stuff.

Oh and shadows, have you heard any Ayumi Hamasaki? Incredable Japanese artist/singer.

I actually (gasp) agree with almost all of Snow Dog's choices, except I can't tolerate Pink Floyd. I have a thing for cheesy 80s rock, and my dirty little secret is that I sometimes listen to Poison-and like it.

Val

Of course you agree with me, I am right. You have to be in the right mood for Floyd (depression helps so you Rainbow 'people' might not understand). As for Poison/Ratt/Def Lepard etc. You'd have to tie me to the chair to listen to it. I did listen to Def Lepard while I was hitting on a guy who really liked it, but he flunked out half-way through his freshman year :( , wasted time.

Yes Mag drives me nuts with show tunes, so that is a dislike. Rush is great and I agree with 2112. I have heard the Orchestra version of YYZ and it is very cool. When Mag and I worked at a restaraunt together we used to play 2112 on the jukebox just because it was so long and customers kept playing Achy Breaky Heart. We lived in Hicksville(I like to call it Hazard County).

I am a metalhead, I do like blues and old school country though. I don't think I can narrow it down to 3 albums though. Megadeath's Rust in Peace would be one. Pantera's Vulger Display of Power. Black Sabbath's We Sold Our Souls For Rock and Roll. Motley Crue's Girls, Girls, Girls. Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder. Tool's Undertow. Judas Priest is also great. I love Stevie Ray Vaughn. Violent Femmes, Ramones, Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels Band, Godsmack, Disturbed, Ozzy, and The Greatful Dead are others I like.

Here are a couple I doubt anyone else will bring up. Bloodrock, a 70's band. Neil Sedaka, My mom listened to him when I was growing up. And I enjoy a good parody, Thanks Weird Al.

I was waiting around at an auto repair place (being jerked around is more like it) yesterday and had a pretty amusing musical discussion. I was wearing a Van Halen t-shirt, and this 50-something guy behind the counter got really excited, and I ended up talking to him for 5 mins or so. I took the opportunity to make fun of a certain teenager who'd never heard of Van Halen, and the guy said, "How can anyone not have heard of Van Halen? Maybe if it was one of those fly-by-night bands like Twisted Sister or something."

Anyway, Snow Dog, I never claimed to belong to the Rainbow sect. I think it might just be my attention span. I won't pass up an opportunity to listen to Pour Some Sugar on Me, though.

And gobears, I like your jukebox story. I got some really dirty looks for playing Black Sabbath for a bunch of girl scouts once. Oh, and I probably would have said Paranoid, although it's a lot of the same stuff anyway.

That 3 album question is impossible, it's like asking which of my fingers I'd like to keep. And again with the attention span, I tend to make compilation CDs of my own, rather than listen to 20 songs in a row by the same band.

Val

All I can say is thank Betty for MP3 car decks. I can almost put my whole Rush collection on 1 disk and just set it on random. I leave Limelight out of the mix because I am not allowed to listen to it in the car (per my insurance agent) -- every time I have there has been an accident or near accident. 2 (or 3) petals, 1 steering wheel, (1 gear shift), two hands, two feet -- you figure it out. Oh and yes, I have other mixed disks, including one with no Rush at all for when I am forced to play nice to the "I absolutely hate Rush" :thumbdown: people.

Oh, and I can't listen to Pour Some Sugar on Me without remebering how hard it was to resist the urge to rip the clothes off that freshman , and feeling it all over.

I like some of the old Flyod, Zepplin, Poison, Steve Miller etc. but only in moderation. But Im just as likely to listen to Mommas and Poppas, Simon and Garkunkel, or Enya when I need easy listening.

Mainly its the heavy metal for me. The 3 ablems I couldnt live without isnt hard for me, theres prolly a 20 way tie for #5 or 6, but just the top 3 is easy. System of a Down Toxicity, Deftones Adrenaline, Bush Sixteenstone.

Wow I cant belive KoRn didnt make it... for all I branded it on my arm about 10 years ago. Metallica, Tool, Primus, Perfect Circle, Static X, Disturbed, Nirvana, Rage, Evanescence, yadda yadda...

Ugh - Nirvana makes my head hurt. Five minutes of that monotonous whine makes me what to slash my wrists.

I don't care for real twangy country, head banging metal, or trashy rap. Other than that I like all music types. Areosmith's 'Toys in the Attic' album is still one of my favorites. I'm partial to the big bands (Glenn Miller) and bluegrass (Alison Krauss has one of the best voices ever). And I like thumpy bass dance music.

Sharon

The first concert I ever saw was Tesla/Def Leppard. I went to see Tesla, lol. Def Leppard was o.k. I liked On Through the Night and Pyromania. Alice Cooper was a great show. I also like Iron Maiden. Metallica was great before the "Black album". BTW, did I mention that I play bass? That explains a lot about the music I listen to. Geddy Lee is a genious. Others are Billy Sheehan, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Cliff Burton, and John Entwistle.

I will show my age now. What is with these kids that spend thousands of dollars on sound systems to only listen to an electronic bass drum. I would love to introduce them to the treble cleff. :music:

I personally blame MTV (Empty V) for ruining music (I use that term loosely) as my generation knows it. Sorry for the rant, I am turning into a music curmudgeon. YOU KIDS GET OFF OF MY LAWN!!! :pissed:

Ugh - Nirvana makes my head hurt. Five minutes of that monotonous whine makes me what to slash my wrists.

Wow, I've never heard of such a violent reaction to Nirvana. I'm not as big a fan as some, but I do think Unplugged in NY is a spectacular album. Though I enjoy the cheesy 80s stuff sometimes, I liked that grunge was supposed to be about disenchantment, and saying screw you to hair metal, with its macho showboating and lack of social consciousness. I guess I was at a good angst-ridden age when I first heard Nirvana and some of the other more popular grunge bands, like Pearl Jam, STP, and Alice in Chains. Some of this stuff I mostly like for nostalgic reasons, but I still think a lot of it's good. It also doesn't hurt that it has a lot in common with first-generation punk.

Val

Here's a list of stuff in my collection:

A Flock of Seagulls

Aerosmith

Alanis Morissett

Alic in Chains

Asia

Billy Idol

Billy Joel

Bruce Springsteen

Butthole Surfers

Cheap Trick

Clannad

Coldplay

Counting Crows

Creed

Darude

David Bowie

Dire Straits

Disturbed

Evanescence

Foreigner

Garbage

Good Charlotte

Green Day

Guns N' Roses

Henry Rollins

Hoobastank

INXS

Jackson Browne

Jane's Addiction

Jeff Beck

Jim Carroll

Jimi Hendrix

Johnny Cash

Kansas

Korn

Linkin Park

Marilyn Manson

Meat Loaf

Metallica

Mudvayne

Nine Inch Nails

Nirvana

Offspring

Ozzy

Pearl Jam

Pink Floyd

Puddle of Mud

Queen

REM

red hot chili peppers

Rush

Savage Garden

Seether

Soundgarden

Stabbing Westward

Staind

Steve Miller Band

Stone Temple Pilots

Styx

The Babys

The Beatles

The Cars

The Cranberries

The Crystal Method

The Cure

The Doors

The Eagles

The Fixx

The Police

The Rolling Stones

The White Stripes

The Who

Tom Petty

Tool

Toto

U2

Van Halen

X

Here's a list of stuff in my collection:

A Flock of Seagulls

[...]

X

What, no ELO? :lmao:

Ozzy but no Sabbath?

no AC/DC? No Zepelin --

dude you're a freak :P

This is just what I have on CD. AC/DC, Zep and Sabbath are on the original album format. [for the kiddies, that's what you play on a turntable. Do you know what a turntable is? (vintage audio info link))

ELO? :thumbdown:

Wow, I've never heard of such a violent reaction to Nirvana. I'm not as big a fan as some, but I do think Unplugged in NY is a spectacular album. Though I enjoy the cheesy 80s stuff sometimes, I liked that grunge was supposed to be about disenchantment, and saying screw you to hair metal, with its macho showboating and lack of social consciousness. I guess I was at a good angst-ridden age when I first heard Nirvana and some of the other more popular grunge bands, like Pearl Jam, STP, and Alice in Chains. Some of this stuff I mostly like for nostalgic reasons, but I still think a lot of it's good. It also doesn't hurt that it has a lot in common with first-generation punk.

Val

I have no problem with grunge in general. I like Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots just fine. I just can't stand Nirvana.

Sharon