• FIREFOX
    • OPERA
    • GOOGLE CHROME
    • AOL INTEGRATED BROWSER
    • SAFARI
    • MAXTHON
    • OTHER [State choice below]

Which Browser do you use and why?

I just ask this question because I'm having so many problems with IE8 and have downloaded Opera to try it out. So far I'm impressed; it hasn't stuck once, it's easy to use and I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but it seems to load the pages a lot quicker! You can change the skins etc which is really cool. :)

Firefox I've just about given up on, maybe it doesn't like Vista so much, but it keeps jamming with Java.

• Like 1

I too hate IE8 !! One day I was having problems with my DSL and the guy I was talking to on the phone suggested Google Chrome so I downloaded it and was working super fine! It's not as fast as I would like it to be but the one feature I can't do without is the fact that if by any reason the computer shuts down/reboots without warning (living in a 1930 house, old wireing, etc. it happens), when It boots up again, all the pages I had open will come back, even to where I left off reading! So, instead of cursing, I take a deep breath and wait for everything to come back.

Same thing goes with OpenOffice and you can save your writings as Word 97-2000. By the way, I learned about OO through Mark... Thank You Da'ling!!!

• Site Moderator

I use Firefox at home and work. A website that I go to to place an order isn't compatible with FF. However, since I had downloaded the IE option to FF, I use it and it fools the site.

FF is skinalbe also, but they don't seem to update them, so some of them become incompatible after an upgrade or two.

Which Browser do you use and why?...

IE8, which works beautifully with this site, with google, gmail, and yahoo, and with all my "secure" sites (financial, e.g.). The only thing I don't like is that after downloading a document (bank statement, e.g.) it closes and has to be reopened. I've been using Vista since the day after it came out, and had only one problem, easily solved. No, I'm not a Bill Gates robot, but I'm sure happy with Windows, Vista, and IE.

Opera FTW!

I haven't used anything but Opera as my main browser for a good 2 years now. I used FF before it started gaining popularity and after that it started having problems so I found a better one. Chrome is pretty good too, but unless I'm on a computer that's not mine, I'll always use Opera.

Opera FTW!

I haven't used anything but Opera as my main browser for a good 2 years now. I used FF before it started gaining popularity and after that it started having problems so I found a better one. Chrome is pretty good too, but unless I'm on a computer that's not mine, I'll always use Opera.

How'd I guess....

Yea I like Opera too... but I rather stick with FF because of compatibility issues that I've had before....

Eric

Last I checked... IE8 had a large amount of the browser usage, followed by Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Netscape, Opera, and some smaller ones (Konqueror, Nautaulis, etc.)

Course I could be wrong, but if I find the article, I'll post it :)

Eric

Edit to add:

The link: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.asp...e=Q&qpsp=41

I use Firefox. I have all the other browsers too (the business I'm in, I'm always keeping them around for testing purposes). But I've come to realise that most sites work best in Firefox because most developers are using it and hence develop for it.

By the way, w3schools May 2009 browser statistics:

Firefox: 47.7%

IE7: 21.3%

IE6: 14.5%

Chrome: 5.5%

IE8: 5.2%

Safari: 3.0%

Opera: 2.2%

Firefox overtook IE as the most popular browser and it looks to be gaining ground.

Opera has been my primary browser since Netscape 4.7. I use it on linux, OSX and XP. Firefox is my backup for the now rare site that Opera has a problem with.

• Site Administrator

I use firefox most of the time. There are a few sites where I've needed to use IE, but that's all. The rest of the family uses IE -- mainly because I've never shown them firefox :P

The only problem I've had (apart from website compatibility) is that firefox on Vista seems to 'hang' from time to time. It could be related to the websites I have open. Yahoo! mail is getting worse, in my opinion, and I suspect it's doing something since Yahoo! now seems to hardcode IE as the browser it expects. Eg. if you click on a link from within Yahoo! messenger, it opens IE, not the browser you've got configured as the default browser. So, for now, I'm going with a Yahoo!/Microsoft conspiracy theory to run firefox out of the marketplace.... :D

• Site Administrator
Easy solution to that: Don't use Vista. It sucks. 'Nuff said.

:lol: Yeah, I know. I don't have any problems on my work laptop, which runs XP. However, the laptop came with Vista and I really don't feel like going through the effort required to replace the O/S. I may, eventually, but not now.

I used IE6 until a few weeks ago when my pleading allowed me to get IE7 at work. I hate it so much.

Opera. I am having a secret love affair with Opera and I plan to move to Oslo so I can marry it.

Honestly? Opera is the fastest browser I have ever used. I am in love with the web standards. Pairing it with Opera Mini on my e71 is a dream come true. It has nice features built in. The Transfers window is amazing. I know that I am getting the best features first (save in-line spell check). Opera Voice is stellar, but I look like a fool talking to my computer.

FireFox is a good backup. I had a nasty issue upgrading Opera and accidentally closing the install window resulting in a non-functional mess. I used FF to fix that. Oh, and sometimes for Facebook.

IE8 is installed...can't figure out why.

Safari is a good browser, but i have a PC.

Chrome is...not for me.

What I have noticed with some sites, yahoo mail for instance. Opera will only run classic mail rather than the new version. Maybe it's just a glitch that'll be fixed, but it's annoying as hell.

The new Beta 10 is a huge improvement though, especially as it now has the spell check.

Well, I really like Vista.

Okay, back to the topic at hand. Chrome is the best. I love it, and it is all that I use.

You really like Vista?

You must work for Microsoft. How much do they pay you to post stuff like that. :P

I have Vista on my laptop and I've no problems with it.

Agreed, most of the holes etc are gone and it seems to run like a dream. Win 7 when it comes out is only slightly quicker.