Open Club  ·  283 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Bloodlines

That must have been interesting. So what were the big issues you guys worked on? Any big projects?

well, remember it's ten years.... do I remember.. :)

okay, I remember we made one or two big parties in a year. they were relatively popular: all sorts of gays of the city came there too, paying a gate fee to our coffers; it was seemingly always something better to have that party than for them to go routinely to a gay disco for the night. see, gay disco is open next to every night throughout the year, but these student parties were perhaps twice a year

well, then, I think in that year too we worked for some issues in the society: at least the official partnership legislation was sorta under efforts.

well, okay, I was also good in catching ppopular visitors. some from abroad, visiting our city, and I used the possibility and arranged him to have a spot in our one meeting.

my greatest feat though was to succeed in catching a young popular television actor to visit one of our meetings. The guy (who actually was hetero) was having a role in a tv soap that he just had came out as gay (of course, his role character came out)

i wonder if this soap is now canceled this year???? (As the world turns?) otherwise i have no idea what soap it could be :P Good old Van Hansis or Jake Sibberman :D hotttttt :D

Anyway... i liked this chapter, alot. It let us in to more of the whist, jp, steph relationship....and probably got whist fired......little sad there were only glares between everyone and Brian, wouldn't have minded some words....however vulgur they would be.....but more water on brian could be a good thing. :D :D!!!

Anyway. what's next?

Stef and JP are still my favorite couple and I loved some of their moments from this chapter that are representative of why I love them so much.

Funny:

and Sweet:

[/font]

As for Wade and his father, I'm not quite sure what to think about that. Expressing your love for your son by raping him, and forcing him to go along with it by threatening to do it to his brother? That doesn't sound like any kind of love I would recognize. I'm not a psychologist, though, so I can't say for sure whether Wade should forgive him or not. I'm glad he's going to talk to his shrink about it. It's a sad family history, but I'm not sure I'd ever be able to get over it if I were Wade. His relationship with his father has been so defined by this one thing that I'm not sure what's left. I would be happy to be wrong, though.

Kick-ass new avatar there!

I agree that it's twisted. And wrong. The question is how Wade will handle it. Honestly, I'm not really sure.

well, remember it's ten years.... do I remember.. :)

okay, I remember we made one or two big parties in a year. they were relatively popular: all sorts of gays of the city came there too, paying a gate fee to our coffers; it was seemingly always something better to have that party than for them to go routinely to a gay disco for the night. see, gay disco is open next to every night throughout the year, but these student parties were perhaps twice a year

well, then, I think in that year too we worked for some issues in the society: at least the official partnership legislation was sorta under efforts.

well, okay, I was also good in catching ppopular visitors. some from abroad, visiting our city, and I used the possibility and arranged him to have a spot in our one meeting.

my greatest feat though was to succeed in catching a young popular television actor to visit one of our meetings. The guy (who actually was hetero) was having a role in a tv soap that he just had came out as gay (of course, his role character came out)

Was it an American soap? Anyone got any insight into when the first gay guy appeared on an American Soap?

i ment bloodlines or HSM B :D but i guess i live in saskatchewan so we don't know how to count because we lost the grey cup because there was 13 men on the field....not impressed. :(

Ah . . . a soap question! Now we are talking my language. I do have the answer for that.

Hank Elliot was the first gay male character on an American daytime soap (As the World Turns). He was played by Brian Starcher and IMDB says he started in 1988. As you might imagine for back then, it wasn't a full-blown gay love story, but it was still quite ground-breaking. And, to its credit, I think ATWT's Luke and Noah was the first real gay male love story on American daytime soaps when they became a couple in 2007.

So there's no big gay-themed character in 1999-2000?

Could be Europe. we were ahead of you :). Though I can't remember the actual dates of the big ones that first appeared in the soaps.

You are, when it comes to social issues. We have to pray a lot about everything and figure out what we think Jesus would do first, then we have to decide that's bullshit and repress people to get our own rocks off in the name of moral purity. Oh I'm sorry....did that sound bitter?biggrin.gif

You are, when it comes to social issues. We have to pray a lot about everything and figure out what we think Jesus would do first, then we have to decide that's bullshit and repress people to get our own rocks off in the name of moral purity. Oh I'm sorry....did that sound bitter?biggrin.gif

Hah. It's true though- gay storylines were definitely ahead in Europe. Although quite hypocritically, in the United States, there were lesbian kisses on tv shows- usually between straight woman, though, during the mid/late 1990's. They were usually ratings stunts. You did not see the first romantic gay male kiss on a prime-time U.S. t.v. show until the spring of 2000, when gay character Jack on teen soap opera Dawson's Creek kissed another guy.

Although I'm pretty sure that on H.B.O. show "Oz", which I think began in 1998 or 1999, that had gay male kisses. And in 2001, "Six Feet Under" had the first real, romantic relationship depicted on a tv show. But yeah, it's usually been cable that's broken that ground. Network tv is almost always behind on the times. No wonder why people are finding it quaint and dated.

Anyways, no one mentioned the Colombine stuff- I thought Mark did a good job of depicting the mood that school kids felt after the Colombine shootings. There really was this fear of, "Could this happen here?" I felt for my generation, at least, it was almost like a dress-rehearsal for the shock we would feel for the 9/11 attacks. Before the spate of late 90's high school shootings, people really only thought that shootings were something that happened at inner-city high schools with black kids. The fact that those shootings happened at an affluent suburban high school was pretty shocking at the time.

• Like 1

So there's no big gay-themed character in 1999-2000?

How come nobody mentioned Queer As Folk? 1999-2000 in the UK, 2000-2005 in the US. Is that soap enough? :D I think it stirred some reactions when first published, didn't it?

Here it is five am and I am rereading chapter 51 again. It is one of the most powerful chapters I have ever read. If we are to believe the Senator which I do it took a great deal of courage for him to visit Wade. As odd as it may seem I believe it was his love for Wade which forced him to act. It would be so easy just to continue the hate. But hate takes a lot of energy. Neither Wade or the Senator really hate each other. I believe now that Matt has broken the cycle of abuse both the Senator and Wade can heal. Should Wade forgive his father? Yes in time he must. Wade has been damaged. hurt but not broken, Even this horror has caused him to grow, to love. Both Matt and Wade have gone through hell but they will be better stronger for it. Together they are stronger maybe the best partners in the saga. They are starting to compiment each other. Mark that means you can't kill Matt off.

Mark that means you can't kill Matt off.

It's pretty funny Mark. After Jeff and Billy, people are so scared that you will kill off another Hayes. I get the feeling though that Frank won't live to see this new decade- I see him dying of a heart attack somewhere before the end of his 60's, as many guys from his generation did.

Personally, I think its as hard to comment on something like Columbine as it is to comment on 9/11. It was so out of the realm of my own personal "normal" that I still don't understand how anyone could think that was the way to solve a problem. I've been to a point of helpless desperation myself, but my experience was to inflict damage inward not outward.

What I do think is that Mark relfected the shock we all felt, as well as the various thoughts that went through many of us (how could this happen in the peaceful burbs?) And when it happened again and again, it forced a collective look at what's going on in our schools.

There were many changes (good/bad/otherwise) that came about as a result of the 90's school shootings- bullying became a topic of discussion at school board meetings, school security changes, zero tolerance policies, school counselors took on new challenges, communication between schools and parents, the rise of different types of support groups. I do believe there are some teachers out there that realize it's more about just doing the job/teaching the class, there are just not enough of them to make up for all the absentee parenting that goes on in the world.

• Like 2

How come nobody mentioned Queer As Folk? 1999-2000 in the UK, 2000-2005 in the US. Is that soap enough? :D I think it stirred some reactions when first published, didn't it? :boy: Robbie could help Cowen and Lipman produce the series ;)

I was looking for something towards the end of 1999. I did check into QAF, but it didn't launch in the US until December, 2000.

Here it is five am and I am rereading chapter 51 again. It is one of the most powerful chapters I have ever read. If we are to believe the Senator which I do it took a great deal of courage for him to visit Wade. As odd as it may seem I believe it was his love for Wade which forced him to act. It would be so easy just to continue the hate. But hate takes a lot of energy. Neither Wade or the Senator really hate each other. I believe now that Matt has broken the cycle of abuse both the Senator and Wade can heal. Should Wade forgive his father? Yes in time he must. Wade has been damaged. hurt but not broken, Even this horror has caused him to grow, to love. Both Matt and Wade have gone through hell but they will be better stronger for it. Together they are stronger maybe the best partners in the saga. They are starting to compiment each other. Mark that means you can't kill Matt off.

It's kind of funny how that happened, how the two of them seemed to fit together so naturally, so to speak. They are so perfect together. wub.gif Time to break them up. (JUST KIDDING!)biggrin.gif

It's pretty funny Mark. After Jeff and Billy, people are so scared that you will kill off another Hayes. I get the feeling though that Frank won't live to see this new decade- I see him dying of a heart attack somewhere before the end of his 60's, as many guys from his generation did.

Well, I don't usually blow future plot possibilities, but no, I really didn't have plans to kill Frank off (although it could happen). Even if I did, it wouldn't be a heart attack. Already did that.

Personally, I think its as hard to comment on something like Columbine as it is to comment on 9/11. It was so out of the realm of my own personal "normal" that I still don't understand how anyone could think that was the way to solve a problem. I've been to a point of helpless desperation myself, but my experience was to inflict damage inward not outward.

What I do think is that Mark relfected the shock we all felt, as well as the various thoughts that went through many of us (how could this happen in the peaceful burbs?) And when it happened again and again, it forced a collective look at what's going on in our schools.

There were many changes (good/bad/otherwise) that came about as a result of the 90's school shootings- bullying became a topic of discussion at school board meetings, school security changes, zero tolerance policies, school counselors took on new challenges, communication between schools and parents, the rise of different types of support groups. I do believe there are some teachers out there that realize it's more about just doing the job/teaching the class, there are just not enough of them to make up for all the absentee parenting that goes on in the world.

Thanks Ivy. I have to admit that while I was mindful of the tragedy of Columbine, I wasn't at a life stage where it affected me as strongly as it did others. Jeremy was my consultant on this one, as it was a very big deal to him.

Well the most recent shooting (06??07?) in Colorado??? or something like that......at the tech school anyway.....maybe that would be a good historical moment.....only thing is will mark kill off.....i duno stef or JP in the world Trade centers?? Stef's Business may lead him there one day. :o :o Otherwise i can't see any major character dying. I'm Currious on what Isador's Business is doing anyway.

NEXT CHAPTER IT's been WAY to long lol

I was looking for something towards the end of 1999. I did check into QAF, but it didn't launch in the US until December, 2000.

Jack McPhee on Dawson's Creek. For that season, he joined the football team, and there was a funny episode where the guys wore make-up in support of Jack because the opposing team were planning on "bashing" the gay football dude. It was actually a very well done storyline that started in February of 1999 with Jack McPhee's coming-out due to an erotic poem about another man he wrote in a class, to joining the football team, and then finally getting his first gay kiss that spring. When his kiss doesn't go as planned, his once-homophobic father comforts his gay son about the heartbreaks of dating.

I have to admit that while I was mindful of the tragedy of Columbine, I wasn't at a life stage where it affected me as strongly as it did others. Jeremy was my consultant on this one, as it was a very big deal to him.

I was in 6th grade when Columbine happened, and having seen the bullying that goes on so rampantly at middle school, it really did make sense. Not that I would have done it, but I could have seen how a person could go off the deep end like that. The rest of that year, I remember how rumors about bomb threats and hit lists written by students were really causing tension at my school, not to mention several forced evacuations to a church next door. The craziest thing was that on the month anniversary of Columbine, they actually had cops at our school, because people were worried that someone would try to do another shooting for the anniversary.

Well the most recent shooting (06??07?) in Colorado??? or something like that......at the tech school anyway.....maybe that would be a good historical moment

It was April 2007, and it was at Virginia Tech University. You weren't even close to the locale, bud.tongue.gif It was pretty interesting- that shooting hit me almost as much as Columbine did, despite the fact that several school shootings had occured in between the two. I think it was the fact that it was set at a college that bugged me a lot- I couldn't see how anybody, even people who were outcasts in high school, could somehow remain on the fringes and remain bullied in college. It just didn't make any sense- in college, a person is accepted for who they are, and are able to make friends that share their interests. No one gets bullied in college. (Well, unless you're pledging a sorority or fraternity.) I remember people called it "The College Columbine".

I went to a candlelight vigil held on a lawn at my school for that one.

As for who to kill off...well, in terms of natural deaths, Jim Crampton was born in 1926. He'll be 84 this year. I'm sure he's most likely towards the end of his life, as the average life expectancy for men is around 79 years old.

Finally...Wade and his father. You know, I really do think that part of why his father had sex with him is because of the fact that Wade looks like him, and he wanted to re-live being young and hot through Wade. It's definitely an interesting relationship, in any event.

Hmm, who to kill off before the end of Bloodlines?

I am thinking Cody... You know, the only non-family with a compatible kidney for Matt...

Oh hell no! Cody should live. He's special. No one need die in Bloodlines at all except that miserable excuse for a human being named Brian. :D

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..