Name the book that changed your life.

Toast

Well, every book that you read affects your life, however infinitesimally, but that'd be the smartass answer...

"The Hero and the Crown" was the first book of which I thought: Dear God, that character is me.

"Les Miserables" and "Tian Long Ba Bu" defined for me what a *novel* -- with a world, a world of characters, and a world of feeling -- should be. I actually haven't read the latter, but it's in my subconsciousness...

"Harry Potter" -- er, got me to write a lot of fanfic, which was rather life-altering in some expected and unexpected ways, one of which was the discovery of slash.

"Beloved" showed me what writing could do.

"Poets Thinking" is a book of essays by Helen Vendler, and it turned me to poetry. Probably the most life altering of the bunch, save...

"Nancy Drew" which got me to read. Yes, I confess to the shame.

• Like 1

So many of these books and stories have deeply affected me. The Lord of the Rings...A Flower for Emily...Catcher in the Rye...Vonnegut (though I think the big one for me was Slaughterhouse Five). Brideshead Revisted...

Other really important ones for me...

Leonard Cohen's poetry, but esp. his novel, Beautiful Losers.

Hermann Hesse, esp. Sidhartha.

Joyce, esp. Dubliners, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Sons and Lovers.

Not Wanted on the Voyage.

The Tin Drum and Death in Venice, which are wierdly merged in my head because I read them at the same time, on trains, travelling through Italy, switching back and forth depending on my mood...

• Like 1

The Tin Drum and Death in Venice, which are wierdly merged in my head because I read them at the same time, on trains, travelling through Italy, switching back and forth depending on my mood...

this made me remember I read Kafta's collected works and Nietzsche's work while working the graveyard shift at a State Mental hospital as an aide. The clients were mostly sleeping with an occasional outburst here and there but lots of free time. These two works are merged in my mind...

oh, and Stephen King's "The Stand" was in the mix...

not life altering, but it did influence my bar talk when I went bar hopping, I had just come out, mid 80's...yeah, "put that in your pipe and smoke it"...:wacko:

So many of these books and stories have deeply affected me. ...Vonnegut (though I think the big one for me was Slaughterhouse Five). Brideshead Revisted...

Hermann Hesse, esp. Sidhartha.

Joyce, esp. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Sons and Lovers.

Death in Venice,...

I just had to respond to this. I loved these books. Thanks for mentioning Hesse, I was obsessed.

The poem by John Donne and the book by John Gunther? I read the book around sixteen. It could affect anyone for a multitude of reasons. I still remember it.

I've read both the poem and the book, the book is the one that got to me but I like the poem too

I guess there is really only two books, at the moment, that have affected me on a deep level.

The Collective works of the poet Robert Frost was my first introduction to poetry which lead to me to start writing.

This one is going to sound childish but a Book by D.J Conway called Mythical, Magical Creatures is what really changed my life. I had always been facinated by mythology, magic, and mythical creatures as a kid. When i first got the book i was only thinking about expanding my knowledge of Mythical creatures but it was my first introduction to Pagen beliefs. If I hadn't picked it up in the bookshop I might never have started on my Path to Wicca.

• Like 1

The King James Version of the Bible. In a good way: it's lyric and some of the writing is beautiful. In a bad way: it filled my childhood with guilt that has taken decades to shake off (and even now, not completely).

Edited by David McLeod

I'm not sure if this counts as books, but my life changed when I started to read manga^^ If you don't know what manga are, feel free to ask or just google it:P

Manga that changed my life specifically are:

Alice 19th

Death Note

Ouran High School Host Club

Vampire Knight

I'm not sure if this counts as books, but my life changed when I started to read manga^^ If you don't know what manga are, feel free to ask or just google it:P

Manga that changed my life specifically are:

Alice 19th

Death Note

Ouran High School Host Club

Vampire Knight

The very best of life for you. Thanks for sharing and welcome to GA.