She's Not What She Seems by Dolores Esteban

• Site Administrator

I think most readers will realise the truth well before the end of the story, but I found it an intriguing glimpse into the views and motivations of someone like Natalie. That sort of person isn't for me, at least I don't think so, but life would be boring is we all fitted into a narrow range of behaviour :)

Thanks, Dolores. A delightful short story :great:

Yes I realised what was coming and no it didn't distract a whit from what came after. I loved this story. It really was delightful. It's almost unbelievable how so much story was fitted into such a small amount of text. I loved it.

"I am more beautiful than many women they have met. I don't have that haunted look in my eyes." What a powerful statement, how thought provoking. Ditto Nephylim's note about how much was packed into so brief a story. Yes, the punch-line was revealed before it was said, but that in no way detracted; rather, it caused me to read more carefully and think more deeply, so that at the last line of the story I felt more satisfaction than surprise.

The name, "Patrick," was given to me as if it were a gold star from a teacher, or a trophy from a coach.

• Site Administrator

I think this story was less the 'punch line' as the journey to it. The conversation is candid, real and an interesting insight to "Natalie". I loved it!