Favorite classic movies!

Well, I'm sure we all have our favorites. Some on my list are definitely gay. Others are not so much.

1. The Color Purple- This is definitely my all-time favorite. It is based upon a book by Alice Walker. This was the first movie for Oprah Winfrey and the first major role for Whoopi Goldberg, and it's an amazing story. If anyone hasn't seen it, they should. It's an amazing film.

2. The Wizard of Oz- Okay, I know it's so gay, but I love the music, the cheesiness, and all. It was a great film. Again, this one is actually based on a book.

3. Gone With the Wind- This movie came out the very same year as The Wizard of Oz, 1939. They remain two of the most beloved for most, and definitely for me.

4. The Sound of Music- What's not to love about this movie? Julie Andrews is simply amazing. The music is wonderful, and the plot is just as good!

5. McClintock!- This is my favorite John Wayne movie, and I think everyone should have one of his movies as one of their favorites, but that's just me. Oh, and the movie also features another favorite leading lady, Maureen O'Hara. Another notable movie in which they are both cast members is The Quiet Man, which is also a great movie.
  • Like 1

My personal favorite John Wayne movie is "True Grit" for which he won an Oscar.

I see that they are remaking it. That doesn't surprise me though. That seems to be all that Hollywood can do these days... remake classic movies. Apparently, there must be a dearth of talent able to write screenplays for new movies so they have to recycle the classics and not always for the better.

Le Balon Rouge

a film by Albert Lamorisse

Lasse Nielsen's Du er ikke alene

Hope and Glory

a film by John Boorman

(if that counts as 'classic,' won the 1987 Golden Globe: Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy and nominated for 5 academy awards)

Edit for formatting...as usual...

Edited by Tarin
  • Like 1
  1. The Wizard of Oz- Okay, I know it's so gay, but I love the music, the cheesiness, and all. It was a great film. Again, this one is actually based on a book.

My question is why is it considered so? In the movie IN and Out ... being a Barbara Streisand fan was considered being gay?

Some where as a kid I got the impression liking Girl movies or Girl music makes or considers one gay. Gosh I rather think like too much guy movie and guy music makes one Gay. I rather have a balance or a mixtures of likings. But silly isn't it that there are straight people that watches gay movies.

I can't seem to name favorite movies because I loved a lot of black and white movies - if thats the right reference to classic. But since it also means color and turner classic movies. That makes the list even broader.

I rather say its the movie that invites one to use his imagination more than to what he sees on tv. Its the one with good story content. To be able to experience the sense of adventure.

So given that - even old radio programs of the old days meets this cryteria and even the audio books that never made it to being a movie. ie: Q and Spock

Well not like the real phanical ones. Can you imagine someone only loves the posident adventure and must continuely live and feel that experience. Well Irwin Allen feels loved.

Classic movies or favorite movies?

I love the BIG movies, Bridge on the River Kwai, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Titanic, Star Wars....

But favorite movies tell a story, Room With a View, A Month by the Lake, A Trip to Bountiful....

But then there are the comedies, A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein

The Musicals, Funny Girl, Paint Your Wagon, The King and I

And the gay ones, Jeffrey, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Latter Days and Sommersturm

Classic movies or favorite movies?

I love the BIG movies, Bridge on the River Kwai, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Titanic, Star Wars....

But favorite movies tell a story, Room With a View, A Month by the Lake, A Trip to Bountiful....

But then there are the comedies, A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein

The Musicals, Funny Girl, Paint Your Wagon, The King and I

And the gay ones, Jeffrey, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Latter Days and Sommersturm

Matt, I also like several of your picks...

Big movies: The Great Escape, Bridge on the River Kwai, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Titanic (The OLD version titled "A Night to Remember"), Star Wars (the first was actually "Episode IV: A New Hope" in 1977, and changed the face of sci-fi as we now know it), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Ian Fleming's [creator of 007] only children's story), and The Wizard of Oz.

Fave's: Casablanca, TORA! TORA! TORA!, Sink the Bismark!, Anna and The King of Siam (The old black & white version, also with Yul Brynner, and the color version with Deborah Kerr and Yul), Star Trek: TMP (After Star Wars it was really good to ramp the ST universe back up), The Unsinkable Molly Brown, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, The James Bond 007 franchise, Forrest Gump.

Comedies: Duck Soup (The Marx Brothers), Any of the original Disney "Herbie" franchise as well as several other Disney films, notably Bedknobs & Broomsticks and Mary Poppins, The Pink Panther (ALL).

Musicals: Beaches, The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, The King and I (the color version), Gigi.

Gay themed: The Bird Cage, Brokeback Mountain (actually a love story about a 20 year relationship that just happened to be a man-man relationship).

Edited by KJames

Oh man, classic movies.

"She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" - fave John Wayne movie and classic western. I practically grew up on spaghetti westerns, and that one just stands out the most. "Paint your Wagon" because it's the only musical that (to me anyway) didn't feel like a musical.

The last three Star Wars because they were awesome; freaking Darth Vader, man. Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country helped me step into the sci-fi genre. As did "Apollo 13"; I love that movie so much *sniffles* and the anniversary was last week.

I dunno if Erin Brocovich would be considered a "classic", but it's a damn good film either way you slice it. "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Last Samurai" were good, but again, I dunno if they're classics really.

Um...those are the only ones I can think of off hand. I've seen so many movies, it's hard to pick favorites lol ^_^.

My Fair Lady. "All I want is a room somewhere / Far away from the cold night air ... Someone's head resting on my knee / Warm and tender as he could be." Who could resist that? And although Julie Andrews would've been a great Eliza, Audrey Hepburn brought something very special to the role.

The Sound of Music. That opening shot, and the swell on "The hills are alive..." with the ingenious lovely dip into minor on "with the sound of music." Ah.

Gone With the Wind. Not perfect, but epiczors.

Casablanca. The "La Marseillaise" scene. Enough said.

Edited by corvus

I only mentioned the John Wayne movie "True Grit" in a previous post in this thread. I'm not really sure that I can come up with a definitive list of favorite movies, there have been so many that I have enjoyed and have watched more then once.

BUT... having thought about it, the following list is a few that would populate any list of what I would consider "Classic" movie favorites.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Gregory Peck, Mary Badham, Philip Alford, John Megna

The African Queen - Humphrey Bogart, Katharine Hepburn, Robert Morley

Casablanca - Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Claude Rains, Paul Henreid

Dr. Strangelove - Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Sterling Hayden, Slim Pickens

High Noon - Gary Cooper, Grace Kelly, Lloyd Bridges, Katy Jurado

Bridge On The River Kwai - Alec Guinness, William Holden, Sessue Hayakawa, Jack Hawkins

Ben Hur- Charlton Heston, Hugh Griffith, Stephen Boyd, Jack Hawkins, Martha Scott, Cathy O'Donnell

All About Eve - Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Thelma Ritter, Gary Merrill

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Brad Dourif, Will Sampson,

Lawrence Of Arabia - Peter O'Toole, Alec Guinness, Omar Sharif, Claude Rains, Jose Ferrer, Jack Hawkins

An American In Paris - Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron, Nina Foch, Georges Guetary, Oscar Levant

North By Northwest - Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason

There are more. The Lon Chaney, Boris Karloff horror movies. Some light-hearted comedies. Some of the SciFi movies.

I could go on and on and on... but I'll stop now. :)

Hmm....My favs would have to be Sleepless in Seattle, and While you were sleeping. I just love those two, especially Sleeples in seattle, with all the Cary Grant references!

A Lion in Winter with Peter O'Toole, Kate Hepburn, Timothy Dalton, Anthony Hopkins.

The best scripting, casting, an awesome plot - war, swords, family fights, and keeping mom imprisoned in a tower. Who could ask for more?

"How is your queen?"

"Decaying, I suppose."

Ha!

Edited by Hoskins

OLD CLASSICS:

1.) Arsenic & Old Lace - A hysterical comedy about two old women who find it normal to murder lonely old men.

2.) The Cotton Club - Two words: DANCE JACKEE.

3.) Forever Darling - Subtle humor and Lucille Ball does such a wonderful job I find myself watching it over and over.

NEW-ISH CLASSICS:

1.) Death Becomes Her - Amazing through and through. I love Mad and Hell.

2.) Clue - Yes, the boardgame. "I hate her so much. Flames. Just flames on the side of her face. Heaving flames."

3.) The Women Of Brewster Place - If you have a whole day to spare this film tells a great story.

Edited by Devereaux

No one i know has ever heard of this movie... Anne of green gables. LOVE IT

Someone you now know has heard of this movie, and even seen it. Don't remember it, fell asleep about halfway through...I was home with the flu.

Someone you now know has heard of this movie, and even seen it. Don't remember it, fell asleep about halfway through...I was home with the flu.

lol well thats all right. I grew up with it so i love it.

The 1934 Theater version or the 1985 TV version?

1985. I consider it a classic cause it came out before i was born

I love classic movies, and it doesn't get more classic than Singing In The Rain. Brilliance.

I grew up watching The Sound of Music, and I absolutely adore it.

Pretty much anything with Judy Garland in it, though there are many I haven't managed to see yet. So far though, Meet Me In St. Louis is my favourite.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is pretty fantastic, especially Audrey Hepburn's performance. My Fair Lady is great too, but I just wish that they either let Audrey do her own singing or gotten someone else who was vocally capable. That to me just puts a damper on the magic of the movie.

Sadly, I still haven't seen a lot of classics that I'd like to. I have many movies on my list.

In Modern classics, I think that Titanic is such a pretty movie, along with Moulin Rouge. && My favourite modern classic (even though it might not be considered a modern classic to most) is The Lion King because I think that it's frankly the best animated feature ever made, and my second favourite movie of all time.

~Mikie

Don;t know if this counts as a classic or not :P

reddawn.jpg

Hell yes, it counts! *sigh* Patrick Swayze was such a great actor and such a hottie. I don't know if Roadhouse is old enough to count, but that is my favorite Patrick Swayze movie and could easily be #6 or #7 overall. There's plenty of action and violence. Oh, and of course there's a scene where you can see Patrick Swayze's sweet ass back when he was younger. :wub: