Favorite classic movies!

I loved Anne of Green Gables. Prince Edward Island seems like such a pleasant place to live. I also like Splendor in the Grass, West Side Story, Paris When It Sizzles, The Breakfast Club, Reality Bites, and Clueless.

The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper & Patricia Neal

Oh yeah! Funny you should mention that. I just watched it about two weeks ago. I've always been disappointed that they have never been able to film "Atlas Shrugged".

Modern Classics. There are several most of which have been listed.

Maybe "Interview With the Vampire" Of course I maintain that Julian Sands (of Warlock) would have been a better Lestat than Tom Cruise, but that is just my opinion.

lol well thats all right. I grew up with it so i love it.

1985. I consider it a classic cause it came out before i was born

The '34 version, in black & white...that was before I was born...in '85 I was your age...

How Green Was My Valley 1941. It encapulates the essence of the place I live and the people who make me proud to be part of them

My link

I adored Interview With a Vampire and I think that Tom Cruise was pretty good considering.

Labyrinth with Davie Bowie was also awesome as was The Man who Fell to Earth

How Green Was My Valley 1941. It encapulates the essence of the place I live and the people who make me proud to be part of them My link ... snip

One of many movies that John Ford directed that could very well be considered classics.

BACK TO THE FUTURE YEEEEAAAH Does classic mean it's old or it embodies high qualities?

I think the first two Alien films were pretty well directed.

It was made in 1994 but the Shawshank redemption was very impressive.

monty python and holy grail : D

Star wars new hope

as a little kid, im still little but even littleler, disney movies were pretty good like little mermaid (yeah don't laugh), aladdin.

• Like 1

I loved certain directors, John Ford with She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, My Darling Clementine, How the West Was Won, Tobacco Road, etc.

Frank Capra, Meet John Doe, It's a Wonderful Life, Lost Horizon, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, A Pocketful of Miracles, etc.

William Wyler, Funny Girl, The Big Country, The Best Years of Our Lives, Dodsworth, etc.

Howard Hawks, Rio Bravo, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, I Was a Male War Bride, To Have and Have Not.

And so many others, Hitchcock, David Lean, George Cukor, King Vidor, the giants of the industry.

Edited by PrivateTim

I loved certain directors, John Ford with She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, My Darling Clementine, How the West Was Won, Tobacco Road, etc.Frank Capra, Meet John Doe, It's a Wonderful Life, Lost Horizon, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, A Pocketful of Miracles, etc.William Wyler, Funny Girl, The Big Country, The Best Years of Our Lives, Dodsworth, etc.Howard Hawks, Rio Bravo, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, I Was a Male War Bride, To Have and Have Not.And so many others, Hitchcock, David Lean, George Cukor, King Vidor, the giants of the industry.

Amen, Brother! Amen

"Blade Runner" 1982 - Ridley Scott, director with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer.

"Fahrenheit 451" 1966 - Fran

Oh YEAH Monty Python... the Holy Grail AND Life of Brian... I'm Brian and she's Brian too

Always look on the bright side of life smile.gif

I love the ending where they are all singing that song while being crucified. :P

I loved Anne of Green Gables. Prince Edward Island seems like such a pleasant place to live. I also like Splendor in the Grass, West Side Story, Paris When It Sizzles, The Breakfast Club, Reality Bites, and Clueless.

Thats whats up

The '34 version, in black & white...that was before I was born...in '85 I was your age...

movies become classics after 15 years i would say

Classics to me are movies like

Robin and the 7 hoods (Musical with Frank Sinatra)

Sound of music

Lion King

The fox and the hound

Snow White

Titanic

Reign of Fire (kinda a new classic for me)

Jurassic Park (same...with a new kinda classic)

and last but not least

The Easter Parade with....the actor for the wizard of Oz...the girl... She's a good singer. i like her. but hated the Wizard of oz.

• 2 months later...

I tend to think of "classic" movies as being the great ones before sound. I saw The General again recently, and I seem to enjoy it more every time I watch it.

But if we're including talkies, then my list would get pretty long, including almost all of the films mentioned in the thread so far. I didn't care that much for the recent incarnation of Titanic, but it had it's moments, and I can see why people would like it. As for John Wayne movies, I like The Quiet Man the best. If someone ever questions whether the guy could act, tell them to watch that film. Rio Bravo was the first John Wayne movie I saw as a kid, so it will always have a special place in my list.

I would add a bunch of comedies from the '30s and '40s, such as It Happened One Night, Philadelphia Story, and Dinner at Eight.

Citizen Kane is in a class by itself.

And don't forget The Godfather, both I and II, as well as the edited-for-TV chronological amalgam of the two. Forget III.

Then there would be another long list of films that I really enjoyed and watch again from time to time, like Trading Places and Groundhog Day. They have some merit, but are hardly "classics" except in the sense of being personal classics of mine, in that I keep watching them at least every couple of years.

What's considered "classic"?

The Princess Bride. my favorite all time.

16 Candles/Breakfast Club/St Elmo's Fire.

Clash of the Titans. classic version.

The Classical Hollywood Cinema period (which I assume is what most people are thinking of when they talk of the "old classics") is from the early 1930s (the introduction of colour) to the late 1960s (when the production code was replaced with the ratings system).

I always have trouble naming a favourite, but I like to ruffle people's feathers by saying that I HATE The Wizard of OZ with a burning passion. I think it's a groundbreaking film that will remain well known because of its use of colour and themes of childhood fantasy clashing with growing up and becoming an adult, and I have been known to make many "man behind the curtain" references because it's such a universal concept in studying fiction, but the characters and songs are as annoying as hell and I'll die happy never having to see or hear a clip from it again.

Gay themed: The Bird Cage, Brokeback Mountain (actually a love story about a 20 year relationship that just happened to be a man-man relationship).

I actually think Brokeback Mountain, although a well made film, fails utterly as a gay film. *Before reading further, spoiler alert* The characters are kept apart by society and their own weaknesses, they never face or overcome their problems and fears, and when Ennis gets that one chance to bond with his daughter and redeem his character by telling her about Jack, he doesn't. It's a horrible and depressing message/exploration of gay themes in film.

when i think of classic films i think of films made before the 60's, since my dad loved old films so i would always watch them with him

the wizard of oz - one of my favourites now, but when i first saw it when i was about 4yrs it scared the crap out of me!!! stupid flying monkeys........

monty python - life of brian, holy grail are my faves

casablanca

frankenstein

gone with the wind

the sound of music

star wars (the original, the ones made after the 90's just suck)

If that's the case, then most certainly, Metropolis, the 1927 sci-fi master piece by Fritz Lang. Simply decades before it's "time", and still enjoyable. Considering the state of Germany as a whole at that time, it's even doubly amazing.

Totally agree with Forty-Two about Brokeback Mountain, the analysis/synopsis is spot on! It's one of my most hated...well no, hate is too strong a word, but it just fails miserably, a sad sense of inevitably and defeat. I never understood why it was so lauded. It made me mad.

If gay themed, check out something like Go West, a Bosnian film of two gay lovers trying to escape during the Serbian Wars. What was special about that film to me, was the view the gay relationship was completely normal, unremarked upon. Their love and relationship was shown just like any others. It's excellent.

that's a film? just thought it was a book.

I have seen a lot of classics as a kid. My parents loved watching them on VHS. Gone with the Wind, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Lawrence of Arabia, a LOT of westerns and others I don't even know the titles to.

I was as young as probably six onwards, so I couldn't really understand much of it. Certain scenes have stuck to my memory though. Like the scene in Bedknobs and Broomsticks where the suits of armor come to life and the germans shoot them (which owing to their similarity I used to think was a scene in Mary Poppins), or the entire lyrics to Mary Poppins' Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, etc. but they're disjointed.

The oldest movie I've watched and liked though (as an adult, rather than a toddler) is Tarkovsky's Сталкер released in 1979.

stalkerEGgrey.jpg

Stalker+3.jpg

P.S. Come to think of it Alien was released in 1979 as well. But oh well. When I first saw it I was terrified XD Though I appreciated it better as an adult.