Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Hockey playoff pool

Wildone is running a Hockey Playoff pool in the Lounge.

For those of us unfamiliar with hockey, allow me to explain;

Hockey is beloved by those of the Great White North, and is a sort of a war game where heavily padded players charge off their benches to attempt to beat the crap out of other team, with any weapon at hand. Sometimes, as a prelude or warmup, they chase a puck around the ice first, swatting at it with sticks or other players.

The rules are a little hard to understand at times, but at least, unlike cricket, it has actual rules. Sort of.

I think Wildone's pool is some sort of a contest, to predict which team gets thrown in a pool or pond after losing a fight... but you'll need to read his post to be sure.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood goat. :sheep:

• Site Administrator

While I've known about hockey for a long time (Australia is, after all, a consistent contender for the Olympic gold medal in the sport), it was only recently that I learnt much about that variation known as Ice Hockey, which some people incorrectly call 'hockey'. My introduction was as part of an article that explained the Winter Olympic program. To quote from the article:

ICE HOCKEY is an inexplicable outbreak of sport on the Winter Olympics program. It consists of two halves of free-form martial arts with small goal cages supplied for decoration. Amazingly, no Norwegians have yet to improve it by introducing rifles, but it is believed there's a chap called Gundersen working on it at the time of writing.

If you don't understand, read the rest of the article, and it'll make perfect sense. 0:)

• Site Administrator

Wildone is running a Hockey Playoff pool in the Lounge.

For those of us unfamiliar with hockey, allow me to explain;

Hockey is beloved by those of the Great White North, and is a sort of a war game where heavily padded players charge off their benches to attempt to beat the crap out of other team, with any weapon at hand. Sometimes, as a prelude or warmup, they chase a puck around the ice first, swatting at it with sticks or other players.

The rules are a little hard to understand at times, but at least, unlike cricket, it has actual rules. Sort of.

I think Wildone's pool is some sort of a contest, to predict which team gets thrown in a pool or pond after losing a fight... but you'll need to read his post to be sure.

This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood goat. baaasmiley.gif

This is blasphemy :o:o:o

You know we have no option but to send our long range bombers and attack the Baldwins for your indiscretions.

The hurt that you inflict by your commentary is astounding. I also must say that you ignorance to the sport after just recently being at the birthplace of hockey is shocking. It is believed the first hockey game was played between the French and the English on a frozen over Saint Lawrence river (now the seaway). In the second period, the French switched ends and were skating to the east. One Frenchman got a breakaway and has never been seen again tongue.gif .

Another point, it seems the Eastern US is more educated in the finer aspects of gentlemanly sport than the West. After all there is 8 contenders in this years pool.

While I've known about hockey for a long time (Australia is, after all, a consistent contender for the Olympic gold medal in the sport), it was only recently that I learnt much about that variation known as Ice Hockey, which some people incorrectly call 'hockey'. My introduction was as part of an article that explained the Winter Olympic program. To quote from the article:

If you don't understand, read the rest of the article, and it'll make perfect sense. innocent.gif

I thought field hockey was played just by girls tongue.gifbiggrin.giflmaosmiley.gif

• Site Administrator

I thought field hockey was played just by girls tongue.gifbiggrin.giflmaosmiley.gif

You've obviously never been hit by a hockey stick :P How about I send over a few members of the Australian hockey team to 'educate' you?

067032-australian-hockey-team-members.jpg

hock_cel_2808_wideweb__430x315.jpg

r252372_1039080.jpg

• Site Administrator

Those aren't hockey players tongue.gif

They have all their teeth, no visible facial or body scars. What do they shoot around, a shower puff laugh.gif ?

Edited by wildone
  • Site Administrator

Those aren't hockey players tongue.gif

They're not just hockey players. They're Olympic Gold Medalist hockey players :P

They have all their teeth, no visible facial or body scars. What do they shoot around, a shower puff laugh.gif ?

You have obviously never been hit by a hockey ball.... At the speed these guys hit them, those things really hurt when they hit. And, unlike some wimpy people who play on ice 0:), only the goalie gets to wear any significant sort of protection.

Edited by Graeme

You know we have no option but to send our long range bombers and attack the Baldwins for your indiscretions.

The hurt that you inflict by your commentary is astounding. I also must say that you ignorance to the sport after just recently being at the birthplace of hockey is shocking. It is believed the first hockey game was played between the French and the English on a frozen over Saint Lawrence river (now the seaway). In the second period, the French switched ends and were skating to the east. One Frenchman got a breakaway and has never been seen again tongue.gif .

Another point, it seems the Eastern US is more educated in the finer aspects of gentlemanly sport than the West. After all there is 8 contenders in this years pool.

Do it. I dare you and your beady little eyes and flappin' heads!

blame_canada_1.jpg

Field hockey is a girls sport... but the "girls" in Australia are really hot. :wub:

Huh? Attack the Baldwins? You mean the Baldwin brothers, the actors? I thought they were Canadians! :blink:

But, but, but, I was only trying to be my normal, helpful self! I was merely reporting what I'd learned about Hockey during my sojourn in the Great White North! :ph34r:

They're not just hockey players. They're Olympic Gold Medalist hockey players :P

You have obviously never been hit by a hockey ball.... At the speed these guys hit them, those things really hurt when they hit. And, unlike some wimpy people who play on ice 0:), only the goalie gets to wear any significant sort of protection.

However, it must be pointed out that these are Australians, who live in a land inhabited by all manner of deadly creatures (It's so bad that they even need shark cages in the bathtub!), so they would be unlikely to be concerned about minor threats such as high-velocity sporting goods. 0:)

Do it. I dare you and your beady little eyes and flappin' heads!

blame_canada_1.jpg

Field hockey is a girls sport... but the "girls" in Australia are really hot. :wub:

I hope the image comes up in the quote.. if not, I'll post it for you. There's (seriously) a software bug in the forum that occasionally makes images not post.

Hrmm, I'll try again,

blame_canada_1.jpg

Okay, that image just does not want to load... I'll post a link to it instead.

Hrrrmm again... the image seems to be blocked. I say: Blame New Jersey! :P

• Site Administrator

Well even though they play a girl's sport, I'll admit that those are cute guys :P . From over here, all the field hockey players wear skirts, is that not a requirement in Australia :lol:

Now Robbie is upset cause the Jersey (said in my best New Jersey accent) Devils got knocked on their arses in the first round by the Broadstreet Bullies.

Yes CJ, I was referring to the Baldwins, last time there was an insult (the illegal arrest of Terance and Phillip)to Canada, we were forced to bomb the Baldwins :D Wonder who we will go after this time, maybe the Estevez/Sheen household 2handed.gif .

Even your link doesn't work CJ. I get the 403 Forbidden error.

It's a server permission issue on their server... I guess we'll have to blame New Jersey. :ph34r:

Well even though they play a girl's sport, I'll admit that those are cute guys :P . From over here, all the field hockey players wear skirts, is that not a requirement in Australia :lol:

Now Robbie is upset cause the Jersey (said in my best New Jersey accent) Devils got knocked on their arses in the first round by the Broadstreet Bullies.

Yes CJ, I was referring to the Baldwins, last time there was an insult (the illegal arrest of Terance and Phillip)to Canada, we were forced to bomb the Baldwins :D Wonder who we will go after this time, maybe the Estevez/Sheen household 2handed.gif .

New Jersey's team is called the Devils?!?!!? Hrmmm, how fitting! :devil:

As for who you'll go after next, wasn't bringing an airliner down in the Hudson enough?

hudson-river-plane-crash-passengers-on-wingsjpg-8231af7acfd12a9f_large.jpg

It looks like it's the Flyers vs. the Canadiens in the next go round.

It was the flyers vs. Canadians with the airliner, and it ended up going down in the Hudson river. :blink:

• Site Administrator

It was the flyers vs. Canadians with the airliner, and it ended up going down in the Hudson river. :blink:

So you're saying Canadiens have the advantage :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I thought I would just put in a small note here to check out this post.

I think it is cool for Matt to make a donation to help with GA's day to day operations. :)

Steve

I thought I would just put in a small note here to check out this post.

I think it is cool for Matt to make a donation to help with GA's day to day operations. :)

Steve

That was great of him!

I'd also like to add that it's wonderful for someone to run a contest and provide the prize! Thank you both!!!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..