2010 Hockey Playoff Pool

• Site Administrator

Well, I picked the wrong upsets this year. Hopefully next year I do better . . .

Good luck everyone else!

Actually I think anyone who could have picked this year is pretty amazing. Just the east has been so unprdictable. Who would have thought the number 7 and 8 team would be fighting to go to the cup. The west has been different in that San Jose is actually playing well and Detroit bowed out early.

Honestly Tarin, I wouldn't have done as good :P

So this means round 2 is over and done. I have tallied up the scores and some are now in the position of gaining no more points. Here is the scores after round 2:

Tarin - 25 points cannot score anymore points

tjajcj - 25 points cannot score anymore points

Red_A - 25 points

Bugeye - 25 points cannot score anymore points

BlueSoxSWJ - 30 points

Nightsky - 35 points cannot score anymore points

Mark Arbour - 30 points

TetRefine - 35 points

NateB - 20 points

So it looks like Tarin, Ramon, and Sam are out of the competition. It looks like Nightsky can hope that no one else scores any points and enter the tie breaker with Matt. This is actually getting interesting.

I'm spitting mad I missed the Boston-Philly game. My friend practically had a heart attack, he was so happy.

So... I can't be mad if I don't win. I picked the teams based on whims and loyalty. But here's to hoping!

• Site Administrator

As a side bet, with nothing on the line, who do you think will win this final round and meet for the Stanley Cup. Who do you think will be the eventual winner and in how many games?

I'm going that it will be Montreal vs. Chicago, and Chicago will win the cup in 6 games. :D

I'm going to go with Philly-Chicago with Chicago winning in 6.

I'd like the Canadiens to win but they aren't really playing all that well. They haven't even scored a point yet. I also like the Flyers' momentum.

As a side bet, with nothing on the line, who do you think will win this final round and meet for the Stanley Cup. Who do you think will be the eventual winner and in how many games?

I'm going that it will be Montreal vs. Chicago, and Chicago will win the cup in 6 games. :D

I agree with you.

Wow, just wow! Up 3-0 on Philly, we lose three straight. Have a 3-0 lead in Game 7 and we blow it. Sigh, the worst collapse in sports history. :(

I disagree. The Bruins weren't even expected to make this series, and being shut out for long stretches was nothing new. This was a team that lost 10 straight games this year. They had a losing record at home, and went over 2 months without winning in their home building (you can tack on 2 days to that by saying "home building" instead of "at home," since the streak was flanked by the Winter Classic in Fenway). 2 of their 3 wins to go up 3-0 were also by 1 goal, with 1 in overtime, so it's not like they were dominating the series. The 2004 Yankees, on the other hand, romped to a 3-0 lead including a 19-8 blowout, had picked up A-Rod that season, and twice had leads with the best closer in the game on the mound, and still blew it.

I disagree. The Bruins weren't even expected to make this series, and being shut out for long stretches was nothing new. This was a team that lost 10 straight games this year. They had a losing record at home, and went over 2 months without winning in their home building (you can tack on 2 days to that by saying "home building" instead of "at home," since the streak was flanked by the Winter Classic in Fenway). 2 of their 3 wins to go up 3-0 were also by 1 goal, with 1 in overtime, so it's not like they were dominating the series. The 2004 Yankees, on the other hand, romped to a 3-0 lead including a 19-8 blowout, had picked up A-Rod that season, and twice had leads with the best closer in the game on the mound, and still blew it.

Blah blah blah. They lost. They're losers. All the rest is rationalization, more reminiscent of Cubs fans than a Yankees analogy.

tongue.gif

But any team that blows a 3-0 series lead suffers from an epic failure. As a diehard Bruins fan, this one hurt...bad.

Blah blah blah. They lost. They're losers. All the rest is rationalization, more reminiscent of Cubs fans than a Yankees analogy.

tongue.gif

LOL. Mark, you missed your calling...you should've been a high school counselor, I think.;-)

Anyways, I've got a team that I'm pulling for that is doing well. It's pretty nice.

• Site Administrator

Well sorry for not updating sooner, work and life kind of got in the way ;)

First off I so wanted Montreal to make it, but I guess like Boston, they were playing way above their level. Now I think it is Philly's turn to self destruct with Chicago winning it in five.

So here is the updated stats:

Tarin - 25 points and done

tjajcj - 25 points and done

Red_A - 25 points and done

Bugeye - 25 points and done

BlueSoxSWJ - 30 points and done

Nightsky - 35 points and done

Mark Arbour - 35 points and possibly a total of 40

TetRefine - 40 points and possibly a total of 45

NateB - 20 points and done

Well, it looks like we have a winner!!!!!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Since both Matt and Mark picked Chicago to win the whole thing, it looks like Matt or TetRefine is the winner of the 2010 Hockey Playoff Pool.worshippy.gifworshippy.gifworshippy.gif

I have to give Mark a attaboy for his picks this year, as he greatly improved over last year. ;)

So join me in congratulating Matt on a spectacular win of most likely 45 points out of a possible 65 points. I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but it is almost like a given.

Thank you to all that played this year, and lets keep up the chatter for the next week while the Stanley Cup is on.

Steve :)

Since both Matt and Mark picked Chicago to win the whole thing, it looks like Matt or TetRefine is the winner of the 2010 Hockey Playoff Pool.worshippy.gifworshippy.gifworshippy.gif

I have to give Mark a attaboy for his picks this year, as he greatly improved over last year. ;)

So join me in congratulating Matt on a spectacular win of most likely 45 points out of a possible 65 points. I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, but it is almost like a given.

Thank you to all that played this year, and lets keep up the chatter for the next week while the Stanley Cup is on.

Thanks for hosting Steve! It was fun!

Congrats to Matt!

Well sorry for not updating sooner, work and life kind of got in the way ;)

First off I so wanted Montreal to make it, but I guess like Boston, they were playing way above their level. Now I think it is Philly's turn to self destruct with Chicago winning it in five.

So here is the updated stats:

Tarin - 25 points and done

tjajcj - 25 points and done

Red_A - 25 points and done

Bugeye - 25 points and done

BlueSoxSWJ - 30 points and done

Nightsky - 35 points and done

Mark Arbour - 35 points and possibly a total of 40

TetRefine - 40 points and possibly a total of 45

NateB - 20 points and done

Thanks Steve, for hosting and sponsoring the whole contest, and for that attaboy. wub.gif

Hey Matt: Bite me. tongue.gif

Hi everyone! I have been MIA lately precisely due to the ... NHL playoffs. Been spending all my time in pubs and watching games with friends and such.

Now that my Habs are (heartbreakingly) out of things, I figured I'd check in and say hello to everyone.

So I missed my chance to make picks in the pool... that's okay, though, because I won last year and I figure it's only fair for the title to go to someone else. Anyway, I'm so very proud of how the bleu-blanc-rouge played this year. Halak, Cammalleri, Subban and the rest of the boys did good.

Philly v. Chicago for Stanley - I'm kinda hoping for Chi-town (gotta hate those broad street bullies) but on the other hand, the schadenfreude part of me wants to see Hossa lose for a third straight year in the finals. What will happen, with Chicago having all the strength and Philly having all the momentum? To be seen, I suppose.

Edited by Cynical Romantic
  • Site Administrator

Well it looks like Philadelphia got there one token win in overtime tonight ;)

I also wanted to take this opportunity to let everyone know that I had been in communication with Matt (TetRefine) and he has decided that he would just like to make a donation to GA on his behalf.

Tonight I sent Myr $45 for the ongoing operation of GA on Matt's behalf.

Please help me congratulate Matt and thank him for his generous donation to help keep GA around :worship: .

Thanks

Steve

• Site Administrator

So Chicago can win it all tonight in Philadelphia, problem is they haven't won there in like 25 games :o

Any bets?

• Site Administrator

Well a big congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks :2thumbs: . Their team, their city and their fans deserved the Stanley cup after so many years (49).

I also want to point out a good news story that I wasn't aware of.

Scotty Bowman, arguably the greatest coach in the history of the NHL who won multiple cups in Montreal and Detroit was working in Chicago this year. It was a surprise to me, as I figured Scotty would be dying in Detroit. Stan Bowman is the GM of the Blackhawks and I didn't realize it was Scotty's son. What makes this story even more interesting is Stan has fought and beat two bouts of cancer. He asked his dad to come help him as he was recovering the last time and Scotty agreed. Not sure if there has been a father son combination in management has won the Stanley Cup. Kudos to the Bowmans :great:

Well a big congratulations to the Chicago Blackhawks :2thumbs: . Their team, their city and their fans deserved the Stanley cup after so many years (49).

I also want to point out a good news story that I wasn't aware of.

Scotty Bowman, arguably the greatest coach in the history of the NHL who won multiple cups in Montreal and Detroit was working in Chicago this year. It was a surprise to me, as I figured Scotty would be dying in Detroit. Stan Bowman is the GM of the Blackhawks and I didn't realize it was Scotty's son. What makes this story even more interesting is Stan has fought and beat two bouts of cancer. He asked his dad to come help him as he was recovering the last time and Scotty agreed. Not sure if there has been a father son combination in management has won the Stanley Cup. Kudos to the Bowmans :great:

How great to see the Hawks win it!

And to see Patrick Kane get the final goal...that was awesome. Then again, I have a complete weakness for cute, blond hockey players.tongue.gif