Message Board Topic For 5/19

You'd have to admit, there's something really fascinating about fairy tales. For most of us, they were the very first stories that we ever heard as children. Filled with magic and wonder and basic lessons to be learned by all. Where white knights can save you from danger, every villain gets his just due, and the main characters live happily ever after.

(Of course, hehehe...I'm talking about the more MODERNIZED fairy tales, as opposed to the originals that were full of witches shoving children into ovens and wolves getting hacked to pieces by lumberjacks!)

But there's an entirely different 'style' involved in writing a fairy tale, and I wanted to know if any of you have ever tried writing one? Or if you would consider it?

It can be done...brand new fairy tales. Just a few movie fairy tales that come to mind would be "Penelope", or "Edward Scissorhands", "Big Phish"...I saw a Japanese one called "Re-Cycle" that was almost like 'Wizard Of Oz' mixed with a touch of HORROR! Very cool! But all in all...there's fiction, and there's science fiction, and then there's fantasy...but I think actual 'fairy tales' fall into their own category. What do you think? Let us know!

But there's an entirely different 'style' involved in writing a fairy tale, and I wanted to know if any of you have ever tried writing one? Or if you would consider it?

I haven't, but I've often thought about trying something like it after reading A Christmas Story by Gymnopedies. I read it every year at Christmas time and it never fails to bring a tear to my eye.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would not be that hard to stretch the "fairy tale" characterization to the story I keep mentioning, One Night, Why Not? It has kind of a Cinderella or Ugly Duckling quality to it, in the sense of someone's true self emerging.

A

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..