Just for accuracy sake:

Canada, Free France and Poland were all in on D-Day.

Okinawa was a MUCH bigger deal than Iwo Jima. Japan expended its remaining air and sea power defending it.

I'm extremely disappointed that the Philippines wasn't in it. :[ I mean... Singapore and Malaya are depicted more prominently? Some of the major battles in the Pacific theater were in our country. It was the major staging area for Allied forces since the Philippines was an American Commonwealth during World War II (having won us from the Spanish in the earlier Spanish-American war).

Then again, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Argentina weren't depicted as well.

I'm extremely disappointed that the Philippines wasn't in it. :[ I mean... Singapore and Malaya are depicted more prominently? Some of the major battles in the Pacific theater were in our country. It was the major staging area for Allied forces since the Philippines was an American Commonwealth during World War II (having won us from the Spanish in the earlier Spanish-American war).

Then again, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Argentina weren't depicted as well.

Agreed.

Australia and New Zealand were part of the war from its outbreak in the Pacific. They both contributed ships and soldiers who earned a reputation as dangerous jungle fighters.

The big shots in the US Navy wanted to bypass the Philippines and take Formosa (now Taiwan). MacArthur would have no part in that. He was going back to the Philippines if I have to row myself there in a canoe- his words.

The Philippines turned out to be a persistent thorn in the side to the Japanese. US supported Philippine guerrilla fighters tied up 25 Japanese divisions holding the islands. It was the largest deployment of Japanese manpower outside of China and one that she could ill afford. Those troops were desperately needed elsewhere but they had to stay in the Philippines or the Japanese would have lost control of the islands.

Battle_of_Leyte_Gulf_Oct_1944.jpg

MacReturns.jpg

Famous photo of MacArthur's return. He landed at Leyte with the former President of the Philippines.

The landings at Leyte in Oct. 1944 prompted Japan to respond with all of her available air and naval strength. It turned out to be the biggest naval battle in history over a period of several days. The battle took place in four parts: 1 Battle of the Sibuyan Sea, 2 the Battle of Surigao Strait, 3 the Battle off Cape Enga

Canada entered the war long before the US did as well. Joining it when Germany invaded Poland, two years before Pearl Harbor I think.

Japan wanted the Philippines desperately, the Philippines being a part of the US technically (like Hawaii and Guam) and being central to the efforts to reach further down south into Australia and the rest of Southeast Asia, and hosting several major US bases (naval and air, later used in the Vietnam war as well). It was the closest symbolic strike at western powers.

And MacArthur has a sculpture of his return on Leyte Gulf. He is actually more well known among us filipinos for the words he said to the Filipino freedom fighters when they were forced to retreat from the Philippines just after Japan invaded it en masse (the infamous Bataan death march in which thousands of american and filipino POW's died happened a little later after their withdrawal). Filipinos were especially fearful given that they too knew that the naval high command wanted to abandon the Philippines altogether. He said 'I shall return', a promise he kept later on. He is still regarded as an extranational hero here.

• 1 month later...

Australian and New Zealand infantry were in North Africa and Europe for the entire war, and don't forget the Gilbert and Ellis Islands... where all men and boys were lined up and shot by the japanese, only a few young boys dressed as girls survived on some islands.

Agreed.

Australia and New Zealand were part of the war from its outbreak in the Pacific. They both contributed ships and soldiers who earned a reputation as dangerous jungle fighters.

etc.