Twilight vs Harry potter

Okay, I would have to vote Harry Potter. Reason: because they are books I re-read.

Twilight was fun (but a bit disappointing with the messages put in there). I wouldn't read them again though. Bella has NO personality what-so-ever. But I guess that's what makes the books work. She could be ANYone. You can stuff your own personality into her and can relate more and the story works.

HP though, is in a class of its own.

:D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Both excellent books for what they were meant to do; entertain people. However, undoubtedly Harry Potter was better written. So, for that fact, I shall choose Harry Potter. Though, I am a little biased seeing as how Harry Potter is the series that boiled my interest for reading and the English Literature.

I must say that having my Twilight compared to the Harry Potter universe is quite flattering but they are two very different works.

The kids from Twilight are trying to survive a rapidly escalating biological and nuclear war and the swirling chaos around them.

The Harry Potter kids are... well magic users.

While Harry Potter is a good fit for kids, I would think that Twilight's horrific detail about the nuking of Phoenix and San Diego would cause most kids to crap their pants and have life long nightmares.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm gonna give this a go...

On a scale of one to ten for each question, I'll rate Twilight in green and Harry Potter in Purple, then give an explanation for each. The numbers I give are based on rating these two against each other. If I labeled them according to other books I liked, the numbers would be on the negative scale.

1.) Overall plot

1---2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9---10

I give Twilight a four. It's fairly cliche. Boy meets girl, girl falls in love with boy, boy screws girl, somehow it ends up happy in the end. Harry Potter gets a five because, while it has a similar overall line, there's more twists and turns and it takes a lot longer and more adventures to get there. Harry Potter is also more focused on friendship, which seems far more important.

2.) Characterization

Twilight gets a two because, quite simply, every character in the entire freaking series would fail the Mary Sue/Gary Stu litmus test. Oh my god would they fail. Harry Potter gets a six because despite the fact that Potter is also a Stu, he at least has a personality, which is far more than can be said for Bella.

3.) Keeping Canon Straight

Vampires. Don't. Sparkle. *cough* Moving on. Harry Potter isn't exactly great with keeping with fantastical tradition, but Rowling at least tried. I'll give JKR a few points here simply because she had so many creatures I don't think anyone could keep it completely straight. But what's-her-name couldn't even keep TWO fantastical creatures to their respective traits.

4.) Reading Level

1---2 and 2---3---4---5---6---7---8---9---10

Both seem to me to be elementary-school reading levels. Way below my ability for sure.

5.) Length

Easy. Harry Potter has twice as many books as Twilight. To me, the longer a book or a series is, the better.

6.) Believability

Vampires. Don't. Sparkle. Never have, never will. Though flying cars and talking paintings are just as bad.

7.) Choice of Locale

Okay, Twilight wins this one. Washington doesn't get highlighted very often, whereas there's a ton of stories out there where the UK gets a feature. Not only that, but Harry Potter has to somehow wriggle into an alternate reality of sorts within the UK. How the heck does that work? Twilight uses real places in a rarely featured location. Could the stories fare alright if the locations were switched? Harry Potter would survive...not sure if Twilight would. So that evens the score a bit.

8.) Societal Value

Twilight fails epically at this one. There isn't much of anything of value to be learned from it. At least Harry Potter puts a huge emphasis on the value of friendship, honesty, and responsibility.

Totals:

Twilight: 21

Harry Potter: 38

---------------------------------------

I think Potter won this one.

• Like 1

I love the HP books. They're well written and imaginative. For one, they appeal to my own childhood fantasy of a magic school. But beyond that they have a vividly imagined world full of history and politics, love and revenge and culture and hatred and... you get the point. Every time a new one came out I devoured it even as I dreaded finishing it, hoped for the next one but felt sad every time I finished a new one, one step closer to the series ending.

Twilight, I also read and liked. But it was a much more shallow obsession. Basically, I wanted my own Edward. A romantic, hot, eternally youthful, wealthy boyfriend. Someone who loved me to a pathetic extreme. Once I actually took a long hard look at the plot, it's characters and, quite frankly, the bland writing, I fell out of love.

HP is a story, I'll hold in my heart forever and pass on to younger generations whenever I can. Twilight? Well I honestly think the fad will wear off and history will forget them pretty quickly. Which is probably a good thing because, quite frankly, the relationships it glamourises aren't exactly healthy.

Harry Potter. Hands down.

I've read the books, seen the movies. In fact, I re-read all the previous books before reading the newest and re-viewed all the previous movies before seeing the newest. I just finished watching all the movies again in anticipation of Deathly Hollows coming in November. They held up very well. Just as exciting the second or third time around as the first time.

I haven't read the twilight books but have seen the movies. There just isn't as much "there" there. It's the difference between the two is like 2D and 3D.

Can we change the poll to a vampire story that doesn't suck? I know! How about Harry Potter vs. True Blood? That would be epic.

i thought all vampire stories suck.... oh... you mean THAT kind of suck :devil:

I must say that having my Twilight compared to the Harry Potter universe is quite flattering but they are two very different works.

The kids from Twilight are trying to survive a rapidly escalating biological and nuclear war and the swirling chaos around them.

The Harry Potter kids are... well magic users.

While Harry Potter is a good fit for kids, I would think that Twilight's horrific detail about the nuking of Phoenix and San Diego would cause most kids to crap their pants and have life long nightmares.

Aha... of course... dammit I've been making a huge mistake all alone. I think you should try and get Taylor Lautner to dramatise yours.

On a scale of one to ten for each question, I'll rate Twilight in green and Harry Potter in Purple, then give an explanation for each. The numbers I give are based on rating these two against each other. If I labeled them according to other books I liked, the numbers would be on the negative scale.

1.) Overall plot

I give Twilight a four. It's fairly cliche. Boy meets girl, girl falls in love with boy, boy screws girl, somehow it ends up happy in the end. Harry Potter gets a five because, while it has a similar overall line, there's more twists and turns and it takes a lot longer and more adventures to get there. Harry Potter is also more focused on friendship, which seems far more important.

2.) Characterization

Twilight gets a two because, quite simply, every character in the entire freaking series would fail the Mary Sue/Gary Stu litmus test. Oh my god would they fail. Harry Potter gets a six because despite the fact that Potter is also a Stu, he at least has a personality, which is far more than can be said for Bella.

3.) Keeping Canon Straight

Vampires. Don't. Sparkle. *cough* Moving on. Harry Potter isn't exactly great with keeping with fantastical tradition, but Rowling at least tried. I'll give JKR a few points here simply because she had so many creatures I don't think anyone could keep it completely straight. But what's-her-name couldn't even keep TWO fantastical creatures to their respective traits.

4.) Reading Level

Both seem to me to be elementary-school reading levels. Way below my ability for sure.

5.) Length

Easy. Harry Potter has twice as many books as Twilight. To me, the longer a book or a series is, the better.

6.) Believability

Vampires. Don't. Sparkle. Never have, never will. Though flying cars and talking paintings are just as bad.

7.) Choice of Locale

Okay, Twilight wins this one. Washington doesn't get highlighted very often, whereas there's a ton of stories out there where the UK gets a feature. Not only that, but Harry Potter has to somehow wriggle into an alternate reality of sorts within the UK. How the heck does that work? Twilight uses real places in a rarely featured location. Could the stories fare alright if the locations were switched? Harry Potter would survive...not sure if Twilight would. So that evens the score a bit.

8.) Societal Value

Twilight fails epically at this one. There isn't much of anything of value to be learned from it. At least Harry Potter puts a huge emphasis on the value of friendship, honesty, and responsibility.

Totals:

Twilight: 21

Harry Potter: 38

That was just TOTALLY hilarious.

I think James' Twilight is better than the sparkley Vampire Twilight.

I got sucked into HP when I was watching my cousins at the cottage. They were reading the third and fourth books and I decided to check it out once they finally put them down. It was pretty interesting so I picked up the first book. I had never been a fan of fantasy books but I ended up reading the whole series. The target age group is somewhat younger ( B) ) than me but I will admit I found the world that JKR created enthraling. The movies (for the most part) did the books justice when you compare it to other adaptations of books. My cousins are now in university and have already told me they want to go see the next movie and then drinks.

I read the Twilight books I ended up reading over Christmas a couple of years ago when the bad weather had knocked out both the satellite and internet to my parents house for several days. My brothers girlfriend suggested I read a series she was reading. The first two books were OK but I liked the last two books better. As for the movies... the first two sucked (Even with the Kellan Lutz eye candy), Eclipse was better but still not up to the standard of any of the HP movies.

True Blood wins hands down over sparkley vampires but how would James' Twilight fare against True Blood?

• Like 3

I have read all the Harry Potter books and watched all the released movies.

I haven't read any of the Twilight books nor watched any of the released movies.

So... I don't think I can be a fair judge about it but I'm going to say it anyway.

Harry Potter > Twilight

On a side note, I agree with the poster above (whoever it was) who ranted against people that complained about "so and so scene" not being in the movie (though I must admit I was guilty for doing that with the Percy Jackson movie). Most movie goers are never truly happy with book to movie adaptations. They'll always find something to complain about. See for example how many people complain about WB splitting the last HP film into two (it's a money making scam most say).

Come on seriously! :angry:

They're going to get to watch more movie scenes from a book they liked (maybe even loved) and they're complaining about the cost of an extra movie ticket. I bet a lot of these people complaining about the two movies also complained about how "so and so scene" was deleted. Go figure. :blink:

Yes this is an off topic

I guess WB took the gamble (i am not specific to which book - but a true HP would be able to ID which book I am referring to)

* Turning Ron and Hermione in to a teeny bopper flick when the story was much more than that.

Maybe the reason for this was to establish that Ron will have a gf and Harry will too.

But really Harry with Ron little sister and they leave that infatuation a little later in the book series because it would detract the sense of Harry true purpose.

I guess JKR could not have Harry and Hermione - I certainly love that combination but then how could Hermione be regarded as a great wizard herself being over shadowed by Harry. I still don't get Ron and Hermione - I guess its to stress opposites attract.

* Neglecting to having that early seen to establish Hermione crush on krug(sp) was an important thing in the movie vs book.

* There are other issues that the book has too much fluff and the storyline was simplified so that it would fit in the allotted time. Yes there is one of book that fit that criteria. But then there was a book that should have been made a two part-er to do the book justice but yest the cuts came instead.

Sure the last book is a two part-er and I am glad ... because when they are released in DVD one can watch a long HP for like five hours.

But I am not sure how they will clean up JKR epilogue ... It wasn't really up to her regular writer regiment.

The question - if all HP movies where 3.5 hours long each would you go see it? That's the gamble WB could not take ... rather than survey the fans requirements.

The other issue is would you be willing to pay $16 to see the movie? WB would say no the fans would not because the parents would scream at the price.

Now look at the HP resort part - min is like 70 to go in and I am not sure that's accurate ... but that's expensive.

Good take I enjoy it

1.) Overall plot

Harry doesn't have time to focus on anything because he has that curse on his head(crux). There is a risk if you're a girl friend of Harry that puts your life is at stake.

Wolf movies always has a girl that falls in love with a guy that has a curse. The issue there is the guy dies at the end .. to keep the girl from being the next victim.

In Twilight I am not sure.

4.) Reading Level

Its all about getting the kids into the movies that's why they changed the cover on the adult edition so that the boss doesn't think your reading a kids book. If you get the kids in then you get the parents in ... good way to boost ticket sales ... it won't happen the other way around.

6.) Believability

hehe its a childrens version of what magic is ... its a big step up from Wiz of OZ ... and they had flying monkeys. But whats wrong with enchanted cars its possible ... just as much as turning a muggle into a toster oven and back again. The hard part of the painting is showing that when you die you turn into a painting. However, when Dumbledore became a painting .... no one would talk to him as if he were alive. So that's unfair and one loses the point of the painting.

7.) Choice of Locale

There was a movie an American werewolf in London that worked. But to have wolves as big a SUV that's a bit hard to take.

8.) Societal Value

JKR was responsible in maintain the PG\PG13 rating in her books. She knew her audience well.

Wolf movies are suppose to scare the shit out of you and yes there isn't much value.

I have to agree since I can't bring myself to watch a twilight film just to watch guys that someone's grandmother or mother would want to play with.

I love the twilight saga. But HP has been there longer. How it plays on all types of emotions. Unlike twilight, that it focuses more on Bella's emotions. But I have to say twilight movies are spot on. Maybe because it's not as complicated as HP's story? The level of difficulty in putting HP to film is higher? Plus, when I saw clips of the last 2 movies they showed at comic con, I almost cried!!! Lol I don't want it to be over. :(

• 4 months later...

I hate Twilight. I hate it. I hate it with the burning fury of a thousand suns. I hate it more than Khan hates Kirk. I hate it more than Kanye West hates civility. I hate it more than Infinity Ward hates making good games. It is literally the WORST thing to ever be obsessed over by 13 year old girls and I'm hard at work inventing a time machine so I can go back in time and push Stephanie Meyer in front of a car before she writes the first one. :pissed:

So yeah after careful consideration I'm gonna have to go with Harry Potter.

• Like 2

I hate Twilight. I hate it. I hate it with the burning fury of a thousand suns. I hate it more than Khan hates Kirk. I hate it more than Kanye West hates civility. I hate it more than Infinity Ward hates making good games. It is literally the WORST thing to ever be obsessed over by 13 year old girls and I'm hard at work inventing a time machine so I can go back in time and push Stephanie Meyer in front of a car before she writes the first one. :pissed:

So yeah after careful consideration I'm gonna have to go with Harry Potter.

Oh WOW!!! Finally someone else who hates Twilight as much as me lol!

Harry Potter all the way! HP got me to love reading books, and I've read and watched the HP books/movies hundreds of times

Though James' Twilight was awesome lol

Harry Potter. ALL THE WAY! I've re read those books almost once a year since they came out. i used to line up in costume....

Twilight... i read 3 books and got bored. Thing is... when i started reading, i got hooked, and i couldn't stop... and then i had a break and actually THOUGHT about what i'd been reading and i was so horrified i never picked up another book.

things i don't like about twilight :

1) He sparkles. SPARKLES!!! ARGH!

2) Bella is annoying and whiney.

3) Edward is pushy and manipulative.

good things about twilight :

1) uh.... Taylor Lautner shirtless...

and that is all.

as for Harry Potter- there's complicated (you know) plots, and more than one story arc, and intrigue that you don't already know about, and parts are funny and parts are sad, and there's tiny little details in there that show just how much thought JK put into it... Seriously. AND JK got basically a whole generation of non readers reading! Another author dedicated books to her- for proving that children will , in fact, read long books. Credit where credit's due!

also- you should watch this.

I know, it's 3 minutes... but stay to the end! Shock!!! lol.

But i don't see anyone getting quite this insane about sparkly vampires.

In my opinion, Stephanie Meyer is a bad writer. While JK's writing style won't be studied in any Lit classes, her writing is at least passable. Of course, I like the Twilight movies much better than the Harry Potter ones. Soooo, I don't know.

Oops, would you say this louder so that my lit instructor hears you? We're studying JK in lit class, specially, the why and how of the Harry Potter series phenomenon. Does this mean I don't have to do my homework...?!

Both these series goes to prove that if you can write a book series full of garbage that appeals to screaming tween fan girls, you can become mega rich. It goes even more to show that if you put a very hot, hunky teen in a movie with his shirt off all the time, you can become even more rich.

Honestly, what ever happened to well-developed characters, a complicated, intricate plot, and people reading above a 3rd grade level? wacko.gif

Dear Stephanie Meyer,

Please note that when the love of Hermione's life left her, she continued to search for the keys to destroying the world's most powerful dark wizard. When the love of Bella's life left her, she curled up in the fetal position, went numb for months then jumped off a cliff.

Sincerely, J. K. Rowling.

;)

• Like 3

Saw half of the first Harry Potter movie (on HBO) and was bored to tears. So that was the end of that series. And not even a shirtless Taylor Lautner is going to get me to watch any of the Twilight movies. So I guess my vote is "none of the above". baaasmiley.gif

Oops, would you say this louder so that my lit instructor hears you? We're studying JK in lit class, specially, the why and how of the Harry Potter series phenomenon. Does this mean I don't have to do my homework...?!

Harry Potter is a phenomenon and I can see at this time why that would be studied. I meant more her actual writing style. It won't most likely be taught. True, her books are children's books, but still, her style is straight forward and blunt. There's none of the high poetic prose that usually gets studied in Lit class. :)

Harry Potter is a phenomenon and I can see at this time why that would be studied. I meant more her actual writing style. It won't most likely be taught. True, her books are children's books, but still, her style is straight forward and blunt. There's none of the high poetic prose that usually gets studied in Lit class. :)

I agree that in some ways her books are targeted as young people. However, I sure know a lot of adults who read the books, and they enjoyed them as much as their children. Perhaps they enjoyed them more, since they can look for deeper meanings and lessons.

For me, the high poetic prose is usually the reason I don't read the usuals that get studied in Lit class. ...snore....

Saw half of the first Harry Potter movie (on HBO) and was bored to tears. So that was the end of that series. And not even a shirtless Taylor Lautner is going to get me to watch any of the Twilight movies. So I guess my vote is "none of the above". baaasmiley.gif

Ok, really sorry- but blame Hollywood for this one. They had an interesting kids book with themes that were obviously going to be continued in later books, a book that had emotional and adventure elements, and then they turned it into a family movie. There was a lot of potential there, aaaaand... Hollywood fail.

Should have kept it in the UK. That's all i'm saying.

Whereas Twilight? Yeah, i think they managed to stick to the books more. WHich i like to think reflects badly on the books :D :D :D