Small town vs. Big metro area

I have zero experience with children, so I can say nothing worthwhile on that aspect.

However, I live in a rural area (not even in a small town) and I've lived in cities in the past. My area (Northern Arizona) has a heavily Fundamentalist and Mormon population, and it is not surprise that it is not gay-friendly.

That of course is a negative, but I would never consider living in a city again. It's a matter of personal preference, but I despise cities. Give me wide open spaces any day. If I need the amenities of a big city, I can drive to Phoenix in a few hours.

You might consider investigating small communities in the regions that interest you that are artist havens. Based on what I've seen, they tend to be more accepting. There is an artist's colony in the city of Jerome (Not too far from Sedona) about fifty miles from here, and they are very accepting.

I have zero experience with children, so I can say nothing worthwhile on that aspect.

However, I live in a rural area (not even in a small town) and I've lived in cities in the past. My area (Northern Arizona) has a heavily Fundamentalist and Mormon population, and it is not surprise that it is not gay-friendly.

That of course is a negative, but I would never consider living in a city again. It's a matter of personal preference, but I despise cities. Give me wide open spaces any day. If I need the amenities of a big city, I can drive to Phoenix in a few hours.

You might consider investigating small communities in the regions that interest you that are artist havens. Based on what I've seen, they tend to be more accepting. There is an artist's colony in the city of Jerome (Not too far from Sedona) about fifty miles from here, and they are very accepting.

CJ

Thanks. Your comments are not too far from my thinking. In a perfect world I could see myself living in the west in a small town, or buy a ranch or something. But your suggestion of artist colony is a good one. In Maryland, the town of Easton has started to revive itself as an artist colony of sorts. They have an art school and a lot of artists seem to be going there. The county where Easton is located - Talbot - only has 35K people. One of the People Running for State Senate there is an openly gay man and he has the support of the local Dem Party. Clearly they are not lynching the gays there and one of the reasons is the influx of artists and like minded people - so your suggestion is a good one to add to the list to be considered.. Thanks

Andy

Raising kids some where safe and nice is one thing - but do you intend to work far away and then visit the kids on holidays and weekends.

I am not sure what suitable employment are there in these safe havens.

Do you think your kids when they reach 18 - will wanna visit the big cities?

Maybe its best not to subscribe to Cable or satellite - that what they will stay in safe places.

Do you think they will have survival skills in 1 million population?