Panic at the Police Station by Jan Vander Laenen

• Site Administrator

Hmmm... I tried to read the story but the lack of pause in the punctuation kept rushing me as I read. I did like the characters, the description of Angelo insisting he be locked up in a cell because he might murder someone made me chuckle. Your overall style in writing is very formal, even the speech of the characters held a cadence that I wasn't used to which made the story seem stilted to me. I've not run across your writings here on GA before so I'm not sure if you are a native English speaker or not but I know as an American I am used to a much more relaxed style of speech. You brought the characters to life for me but I just didn't get into the story as well as I might have had it been less formal.

Your overall style in writing is very formal, even the speech of the characters held a cadence that I wasn't used to which made the story seem stilted to me. I've not run across your writings here on GA before so I'm not sure if you are a native English speaker or not but I know as an American I am used to a much more relaxed style of speech. You brought the characters to life for me but I just didn't get into the story as well as I might have had it been less formal.

According to the internet

Jan Vander Laenen (

This was *cute*. I mean in a really sexy comedy type way.

I enjoyed the dickens out of this story. Just possibly because it was a story being told WITHIN a story that MADE the story. :2thumbs:

An excellent production here, Jan!

Thank you.

*great story, really enjoyed myself and as i do visit BXL a few times a year,

mainly to buy books, a few of the places were familiar to me.

it's always nice to read a story that takes place in a city you know.

i do now speak quite a bit of french but with a very bad accent and i can read it very well

but i haven't managed to learn how to write it yet, so i do so admire your ability

to have written this story so well in english.

• Like 1

Hmm. I had the same feeling as Cia. The story kind of rushes itself in a way that I read faster and faster.

A bit of an odd but interesting story. I'll say I'd like it better with a narration kind of storytelling rather than conversation. But then I'm one who's crazy about conversation, so...

Nice read, in a comic kind of way.

I found a lot of humor in this. I liked the narrator. It kind of reminded me of "Tales of the City". Your style of writing interested me more than distracted me. I felt I was encountering a new experience. Thanks for your story.