the-top-10-colleges-for-gay-students

Gosh seeing the title ... Makes me wish I had know where the top gay college were?

The power of the internet ... the communication with one another...

Its a shame that I didn't have access to this.

Things have come a long way to have a diverse community?

Questions:

Was Rutgers part of the top ten??

Will what happen at Rutgers keep them out of the top ten for a while? like how long?

What really makes them these the best colleges for a gay student?

They are all pretty expensive ... I am sure not every gay student can afford to go?

Some I wonder the city their in Safe??

What would be the top ten state colleges for gay students?

What would be the top ten community colleges for gay students?

University of Pennsylvania

University of California-Berkeley

Oberlin College

New York University

The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

American University

Pennsylvania State University

The University of Massachusetts-Amherst

Indiana University-Bloomington

Princeton University

Gosh seeing the title ... Makes me wish I had know where the top gay college were?

The power of the internet ... the communication with one another...

Its a shame that I didn't have access to this.

Things have come a long way to have a diverse community?

Questions:

Was Rutgers part of the top ten??

Will what happen at Rutgers keep them out of the top ten for a while? like how long?

What really makes them these the best colleges for a gay student?

They are all pretty expensive ... I am sure not every gay student can afford to go?

Some I wonder the city their in Safe??

What would be the top ten state colleges for gay students?

What would be the top ten community colleges for gay students?

University of Pennsylvania

University of California-Berkeley

Oberlin College

New York University

The University of Michigan-Ann Arbor

American University

The University of Massachusetts-Amherst

Indiana University-Bloomington

Princeton University

If someone's seriously looking at schools, I'd say don't rely on some list or a few people's opinions on here, but go out and do the research. Check out the school's website (although take that with a grain of salt; remember they're trying to sell the school). Many colleges have an overnight program, which is a good way to meet some freshmen and get a feel for daily life on the campus. Also consider the location of the school - Boston College had a bad reputation for a long time because they refused to allow a gay-straight alliance, but with the school so close to Boston (BC is neither in Boston nor a college ...), it still wasn't a terrible place to attend as a gay student.

Google search the school plus LGBT organization and see if you can find contact info for the leader of the group.

Take this from a native-born Pennsylvanian.

I'd say it's true it's a relatively friendly spot, but there are a couple dozen campuses all over the state. I'll assume it's the central campus in State College, a big town by PA standards. The gay scenes, after living there to work over one summer, is rather sad. Only one bar (but again, by PA standards, it's impressive for a town at its size). Maybe because I've been living in a major city for so long that seeing any less isn't much to me. Finally, it was a pain to encounter gays as well (only saw an handful myself). However, a GA member used to teach there a few times during summers and spoke positively of that town and school as well.

I'll have to warn you though that it's a moderate town smack in the middle of one of the most conservative parts of the state. Beyond Centre County is pretty much Republican and "redneck" land. Those from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia like to joke that PA is Pittsburgh to the west and Philadelphia to the east and Alabama in the middle.

If that worries any future college student a little bit, then consider University of Pennsylvania instead. It's right in Philadelphia and it's a very liberal city. However, it's an Ivy League school, so its admission standards may be high.

My judgement may be flawed anyways, considering that I come from the mountains and forests and I never, ever had any problem whatsoever being gay in my own home region.

Edited by Jack Frost

Take this from a native-born Pennsylvanian.

I'd say it's true it's a relatively friendly spot, but there are a couple dozen campuses all over the state. I'll assume it's the central campus in State College, a big town by PA standards. The gay scenes, after living there to work over one summer, is rather sad. Only one bar (but again, by PA standards, it's impressive for a town at its size). Maybe because I've been living in a major city for so long that seeing any less isn't much to me. Finally, it was a pain to encounter gays as well (only saw an handful myself). However, a GA member used to teach there a few times during summers and spoke positively of that town and school as well.

I'll have to warn you though that it's a moderate town smack in the middle of one of the most conservative parts of the state. Beyond Centre County is pretty much Republican and "redneck" land. Those from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia like to joke that PA is Pittsburgh to the west and Philadelphia to the east and Alabama in the middle.

If that worries any future college student a little bit, then consider University of Pennsylvania instead. It's right in Philadelphia and it's a very liberal city. However, it's an Ivy League school, so its admission standards may be high.

My judgement may be flawed anyways, considering that I come from the mountains and forests and I never, ever had any problem whatsoever being gay in my own home region.

This is what I mean by considering the surroundings. I remember when I was applying to schools, Duke was ranked fairly high as a gay-friendly school. I asked a few people about that, and basically was told "Duke's campus is perfectly safe for a gay couple ... as long as you never step off campus in your four years there." I was fortunate enough to be in a gay-friendly fraternity at a gay-friendly school in a relatively gay-friendly city (Providence, RI). But I also spent a lot of time the summer before my junior year, and during my junior year, researching potential schools.