Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

CAP Saga Questions

I thought we could start this thread where we asked questions- namely trivia or what-have you- about the CAP saga, with hopes of either Mark or someone with an iron-clad memory of CAP giving an answer.

I'm starting this thread because I was thinking about the careers of the characters, and I realized that I don't know what Ace does. We know that Brad became a venture capitalist, Robbie became a movie producer(and never used his architecture degree), Jack became a doctor, and Claire is a housewife. My gut would say he's a lawyer, but I totally forgot. Mainly because I think Darius is going to be a lawyer, and Darius is basically Ace without the temper problem.

Also, does anyone know what the hell happened to Crampton Construction or Isidore's construction company? Did they both just get phased out? I remember thinking it was odd that when JP was talking Claremont renewal plans, he didn't bring up contracting either of the two construction companies in the family to get the construction done on a discount.

My guess would be that Crampton Construction is still around, but it's not really run by the Cramptons anymore after JP sold his shares and Jim retired.

As for Isidore's company, I'm guessing that Isidore, wanting to focus more on her charity work after becoming involved with Mothers Against Drunk Driving, decided in the late 80's to sell off her company to a large contracting company in San Franciso- maybe Cahill Contractors? I'm pretty sure the last reference where the characters mention that Isidore has a construction company was in Man In Motion- after that, the company seemed to go poof. So I think she must have retired either in the late 80's or the '90's and got rid of her company.

Mark?

well since Mark is not answering, I'd say we can just make stuff up and Mr. Arbour can correct us later.

I thought Ace was a civil rights lawyer.... I can see him working with the ACLU to defend ACT UP/SF :D

Claire: she is not your typical Mrs. Cleaver housewife. Not Peggie Bundy either... She's a dominatrix wearing spiked leather and she's the BOSS in HER house and she lets Jack know it. Jack has his playroom and she has her dungeon. There is a reason she gets her way.. :D:P

and just because your family does not mean you get a discount for construction work...

Edited by mmike1969

There would be no reason for Isidore to sell out of the company. The family in family run companies like Cahill, Dinnwiddie, etc. just move to the board room when they want to ease back. I can see Isidore and Frank both having offices in the San Francisco headquarters that they go into occasionally and Isidore being the face that cuts ribbons when a new bridge or school is opened.

There is a lot Mark can't hasn't shown us like how Frank spends his day, what became of the winery (oh and I want Darius to go to Davis if he doesn't go to USC and get involved in the wine business).

Ace could run the winery if it is still there. Obviously CA exploded into the international wine scene in 1976 when Stags Leap Wine Cellars won first place in a blind wine tasting in France stunning all the French judges who chose a CA wine over the best of France. There was a huge expansion of wineries in Napa, Sonoma & Mendocino in the 1980's and then in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Temecula in the early 1990's. It wouldn't be out of character with the times for Ace to have gone that direction especially given his French heritage. That also wouldn't stop him from having a law degree or MBA as lots of wineries are owned by lawyers, doctors, politicians, and Hollywood people. There is the famous Francis Ford Coppola Winery, Nancy Pelosi owns a winery, so does Brooks Firestone, an heir to the Firestone fortune who is also a politician in CA. Brooks son owns the Firestone Brewing Company, a well known mirco-brew in CA. Ace could also do that, own a micro brew in Palo Alto or Santa Cruz as micro brews were huge capital ventures on the 1990's and again a lot of lawyers and MBA's left their jobs to start them and also the people who became millionaires in Silicon Valley before the bubble burst.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..