Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

California Culture: Circa 2000

Yes. Well.

My first potentially useful contribution to the topic: Mark, 2000 is a bit early, but Burning Man started to be an increasingly big deal here in the subsequent years. More of a Matt and Wade thing though--I think the youngest attendees at that time were in their mid-20s.

• Like 1

A group dedicated to making what I consider ill-conceived changes is using lies and scare-tactics to create that change. These lies are about something that has directly and indirectly benefitted me my entire life. If this group succeeds, it has the potential to complicate my professional life at the same time that it damages the place I've chosen to live.

And, apparently, it's working.

Apparently it is.

Army Corps of Engineers Decides to Back 1-Billion Dollar River Restoration Plan

So, yeah. I mean, it's just a plan, at this point, and any implementation of this would take decades, but...well....

Anyway, here's a bunch of projected Before/Afters for the project, including Piggyback Yard. So...yay for nature? Or manipulated nature being further manipulated to resemble a more natural state?

I gotta say, if I do ever visit L.A., I'm totally down for kayaking in the Glendale Narrows section of the river. You with me, Blue? ;)

Edited by methodwriter85

I gotta say, if I do ever visit L.A., I'm totally down for kayaking in the Glendale Narrows section of the river. You with me, Blue? ;)

No, I like the number of limbs I have, and do not need extra. So no kayaking for me.

I continue to informally poll everyone I know (in as non-inflammatory a manner as possible). So far, no one has had a reaction other than, "What, really? Are they crazy?"

• Like 1

No, I like the number of limbs I have, and do not need extra. So no kayaking for me.

I continue to informally poll everyone I know (in as non-inflammatory a manner as possible). So far, no one has had a reaction other than, "What, really? Are they crazy?"

Well, it's not crazy to try and get more recreation space in the area- cities like Portland and San Francisco that are popular with the affluent 20-something/30-something crowd have a ton of it, and I think that's what this is being aimed towards. I think the idea is that if they can do this, they'll make something pretty out of a pretty ugly space, create new wetlands, have the January rainwaters replenish the aquifer instead of rushing out to the Pacific Ocean, and be able to gentrify the surrounding neighborhoods.

From what I understand, Los Angeles is pretty much built out, so there's not a lot of opportunities to create park space in the downtown. It makes sense why they want to utilize the Los Angeles River in that way, but I'm still thinking this is going to be a boondoggle on the level of Boston's Big Dig.

Has this been on the news at all? I kinda figure the Santa Barbara shooter must've taken up most Southern California news coverage.

Edited by methodwriter85
To paraphrase from the book Good Omens, almost the entire drive of human history hass. I do not approve of someone whose closest experience of the great outdoors is a couple weeks CAMPING digging up a perfectly serviceable (if admittedly ugly) flood channel and slotting in something that will not do as it is told because they are carried away by the romance of it all.

It's funny you should say that, Blue, because on the L.A. Curbed site I came across this:

LA River Hosted Its First-Ever Campout

If you tell people that 100 non-homeless people willingly camped out in tents on the L.A. River while making S'Mores and telling ghost stories, will they laugh their asses off in disbelief?

There's just something weird to me about people "camping out" near a concrete bank, graffiti, and high-tension wires.

I think the thing as a whole is fascinating, because you've got a city that did its damned best to pave over any kind of nature in the name of progress (I think Los Angeles has the least amount of parks and open space), and it seems like the people who want amenities like what Portland or such has are trying to force some semblance of "nature" into a very manipulated landscape.

Edited by methodwriter85

I followed the link... that's pretty neat. It's reminiscent of a lot of built-over CA--I mean, the creeks by me are fenced and bricked and inaccessible, etc., but occasionally a mountain lion will follow one down from the hills and pop out a mile from the highway. As people were saying in the comments, yes, it's pretty hideous, but there are probably still newts in the water and native plants on the banks.  I'm not sure I think it's worth the money, but I do find the idea intriguing. Edit: and yes, it totally looks like an upscale shantytown, but so do most big campgrounds here. 

Edited by Irritable1

I like how they called it the new Los Angeles fad: The Hipster Homeless.

It's just funny to me as someone who grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs in a densely populated county but still had plenty of access to state and county parks. I mean, is Los Angeles really this hard up for nature?

Edited by methodwriter85

Number one, no. LA has plenty of park areas. They aren't always well maintained, or safe to visit, but there are places all over.

Number two, Los Angeles doesn't have the same climate as Philadelphia. This shouldn't be surprising, but have you thought through the implications of that many sunny days in a year? Green grass isn't even a natural feature of the landscape; most of it is added and artificial. With the huge demand on water resources, Los Angeles has effectively become a desert. Also, mountains and beaches are *right there* and able to be utilized.

Edit: I did a search of the LA times, and came up dry on the LA river project. So I'm not sure it's as guaranteed of a thing as you are assuming, if it hasn't even been voted on or placed in to the consciousness of local voters yet.

Edited by B1ue

Right. We should always consider our sources.

Anyway, on another track...

First Look at the 35-Story SoLa Village

Is SoLa like an actual Los Angeles area, or is it a real estate attempt to brand South Central L.A.? I've also heard South L.A.

In any event, it must be exciting to live in Los Angeles right now and seeing all those skyscapers going up.

Edited by methodwriter85

Right. We should always consider our sources.

Anyway, on another track...

First Look at the 35-Story SoLa Village

Is SoLa like an actual Los Angeles area, or is it a real estate attempt to brand South Central L.A.? I've also heard South L.A.

In any event, it must be exciting to live in Los Angeles right now and seeing all those skyscapers going up.

People have tried to get rid of "South Central LA" because of the association with the riots of the 60's and the Rodney King riots.

Even though the SoLa Village is technically in South LA because it is south of the 10 Freeway, it is further north than USC is so not many would consider it South Central, more like "South Downtown" (which doesn't exist, but it is a good descriptor). If I lived in SoLA Village I'd have no problem walking to the Blue Line light rail to ride it into the financial district of Downtown. It also has the Metro Courthouse on one side and one of the best public high schools, Santee EC on the other, so it is probably a pretty good project. Not a lot of great dining nearby, but that will come as more housing gets built in the area.

I am sure the folks at USC are thrilled that Downtown is building out south to them.

• Like 1

People have tried to get rid of "South Central LA" because of the association with the riots of the 60's and the Rodney King riots.

Even though the SoLa Village is technically in South LA because it is south of the 10 Freeway, it is further north than USC is so not many would consider it South Central, more like "South Downtown" (which doesn't exist, but it is a good descriptor). If I lived in SoLA Village I'd have no problem walking to the Blue Line light rail to ride it into the financial district of Downtown. It also has the Metro Courthouse on one side and one of the best public high schools, Santee EC on the other, so it is probably a pretty good project. Not a lot of great dining nearby, but that will come as more housing gets built in the area.

I am sure the folks at USC are thrilled that Downtown is building out south to them.

How will this impact the area surrounding USC?  It's always been a bit tawdry (understatement).  I always found it incredibly ironic that the public university (UCLA) was in tony Westwood, while the ridiculously expensive private university (USC) was in the 'hood.

How will this impact the area surrounding USC?  It's always been a bit tawdry (understatement).  I always found it incredibly ironic that the public university (UCLA) was in tony Westwood, while the ridiculously expensive private university (USC) was in the 'hood.

Well because when USC was built it wasn't in the 'hood. My great grandmother was a graduate of Jefferson just a few blocks away and my grandfather was born in "Chinatown" before it was Chinatown.

Actually the area around USC has been on the upswing since the Rodney King riots. The university bought more land to create "buffer zones" and then influential USC alums got the city, state and feds to pour money in the area. That along with the shift of Hispanics into the area, the 'hood ain't what it used to be.

• Like 1

When my grandfather was born in 1930, he was born in the French Hospital of Los Angeles and the area was Los Angeles' Little Italy and there were smatterings of the previous French community still there. Remnants from those days include Philippe the Original (restaurant where the French owner, Philippe, invented the French Dip) and Little Joe's Italian Restaurant. Little Joe's was in business for decades, but gave way to urban renewal in 2013 when they tore down the building.

Los Angeles had a little Italy? Pretty cool.

I knew that the French Dip came from California, and for that I'm eternally grateful. I used to get a French Dip from Deer Park Tavern all the time.

Anyway...

The Bros of Coachella

An Indian headdress at a music festival to go along with your frat boy wear? Seriously?

Edited by methodwriter85

In honor of Blue's L.A. River picture posting, I thought I'd post this:

New Riverwalk Opening From Studio City to Sherman Oaks

I think murals are pretty great ways of brightening up a space and avoid graffiti (which can be art but can be just total crap), so I really think putting a mosaic is a great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Blue, as a railroad guy, this should be fun for you:

It's Now Legal to Build Light Rail in the San Fernando Valley

It's off into the future probably, but it's nice to see that more and more suburban sprawl areas are embracing alternative transit methods. I mean really, what are they going to do? Create 20-lane highways? Not feasible.

I wish I could've experienced 1980's Sherman Oaks Galleria. Just looks like a lot of fun. And the Valley Accent is such a hoot...do people still speak like that, or no?

Edited by methodwriter85

That's pretty awesome. And, might not be TOO far off. One of the dedicated gasoline taxes for LA County is for light rail and other transit projects, so it might acquire funding quicker than you'd expect. Just depends on what politician wants to make it their pet project, and who they convince to support their delusions of grandeur.

I am a little concerned though, because light rails are expensive to operate and maintain, as well as build. But, well, we'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Still, I'd be way more willing to ride a light rail than I would a subway in a very seismically active area. Portland seems like its benefitted a lot from its light rail system.

Have you ever ridden the subway and felt it was okay, or does it kind of freak you out?

Still, I'd be way more willing to ride a light rail than I would a subway in a very seismically active area. Portland seems like its benefitted a lot from its light rail system.

Have you ever ridden the subway and felt it was okay, or does it kind of freak you out?

The subways are built with earthquakes in mind.  You'd be safe, you big pussy. :P

The subways are built with earthquakes in mind. You'd be safe, you big pussy. :P

Yes but try saying that to those who have been stuck under, say the San Francisco Bay, for an hour in an non-earthquake situation and say "it's safe!" :P

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..