Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

California Culture: Circa 2000

• 2 months later...

This is a decade off, but hey.

I know "That's pretty chill" would be already be getting said by 2000, same with "klutch". Sick seems likely. Of course, "Facebook me" wouldn't be getting said, and I'm not sure "Moodle" is a reference that would work in 2000. But generally I think this nails the vocal cadences of 2000's/early 2010's teenagers.

Like I was with Harvard-Westlake, I'm kind of surprised at how casual these kids dressed. I thought they'd all be uber-preppy. I bought way too much into the East Coast preppy private school stereotype- Tim's right, it really is a completely different mindset for West Coast private schools. I mean, they don't even wear uniforms.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing bothered me more when I was a kid than the thought of school uniforms. I was an intensely individual kid who marched to the beat of his own drum(I still like to think I do), and school uniforms were such an anathema to that. I even have this 7th grade essay I wrote somewhere where I rant about school uniforms...I just never believed the optmistic "it'll make kids nicer to each other and stop fights!" deals that people started touting in the 1990's.

But back to NorCal culture...Mark, I might suggest adding in references to people wearing NorthFace fleece jackets. I spotted Menlo kids wearing them in the videos I've looked up. It's a decade off, but I'm betting NorCal kids were wearing them in the early 2000's as well like their East Coast counterparts. I think NorthFace jackets have become like the standby wardrobe piece of the affluent teenager who live in places with incremental weather.

School uniforms at private schools, at least in California, seem to be the province of parochial schools.

Interesting to know that. East Coast private schools always tend to have unifroms, although the non-parochial ones tend to lean towards the khaki pants-and-polo variety.

Hey, Tim, I haven't really said this before, but I really do admire the enthusiasm and expertise of California culture that you bring to the table in our discussions here on Mark Arbour's board. You have a very unique and experienced viewpoint, and I'm honored by your willingess to share so much of what you've observed and learned over your 35 years of being a Californian. You never fail to offer your insight about a myriad of aspects pertaining to life in the Golden State, and for that I'm eternally grateful.This infinite Californian wisdom of yours has been quite an asset to Mark and myself in understanding cultures that are foreign to us- in Mark's case because he's lived in the mid-West since the 1980's, and in my case because I've never been west of Texas in my entire life. Plus, you've got about a decade's worth of life experiences and insight on me, which you've used on more than one occasion to illuminate me on a subject or opnion in which I was wrong about.

So thank you, Tim, for adding so much to the discussion here over the years.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate the extent that Mark goes to for accuracy in his stories.

Here are videos from three elite, prep boarding schools in CA. The first one might be the best in explaining why CA prep schools are different. In many cases, maybe all, these school were products of people from east coast schools who wanted to do something a bit different in CA.

Edited by PrivateTim

Thanks for the videos, Tim. Mark really does listen to your input, as well as other people who are familiar with the CA prep school scene. The initial Harvard-Westlake chapter of Poor Man's Son had a much bigger emphasis on Will standing up to the bullies for JJ, until Mark realized that he was playing the school more like a public school where the bullies can run amock, and not like a private school that has such a strong committment to fostering a sense of civic committment in their students. (I went to public school, but it was small and the teachers knew all of us, making bullying less of a concern there.) Mark made some changes and with that we got Alisdair telling Will and the bullies about HW's zero tolerance rule, which was awesome.

I was kind of surprised with the character of Carter, as written, being this homophobic racist, because Menlo doesn't seem like the kind of school that would foster those kind of values. I've seen vids- it's not like an all-white Catholic school or something, so that bit was surprising. Then again, there's always an outlier when it comes to school.

Edited by methodwriter85

I was kind of surprised with the character of Carter, as written, being this homophobic racist, because Menlo doesn't seem like the kind of school that would foster those kind of values. I've seen vids- it's not like an all-white Catholic school or something, so that bit was surprising. Then again, there's always an outlier when it comes to school.

More out of character (but I understand you need protagonists to move the story) is the fact that Carter is a water polo player and the captain. Water polo isn't like football, the athletes are more chill, don't take themselves too seriously and the captain especially is that guy that gets along with everyone.

I am not saying there are no asses in WP but they are the exception not the rule and I've seen far more football players behaving like Carter than water polo players. Jack Bowen at Menlo really wouldn't put up Carter's behavior. It is antithetical to his philosophy and the way he runs his program.

Thanks for the feedback. I would assume that Carter's more of an undercover ass

More out of character (but I understand you need protagonists to move the story) is the fact that Carter is a water polo player and the captain. Water polo isn't like football, the athletes are more chill, don't take themselves too seriously and the captain especially is that guy that gets along with everyone.

I am not saying there are no asses in WP but they are the exception not the rule and I've seen far more football players behaving like Carter than water polo players. Jack Bowen at Menlo really wouldn't put up Carter's behavior. It is antithetical to his philosophy and the way he runs his program.

You got any thoughts about this, Mark?

As for Carter, maybe it's more of what he's like when he's drunk, as opposed to what he's like when he's actually leading the team. People can be pretty two-faced, especially in high school. I've met people who can be so nice and then flip at the turn of a dime into a total asshole.

There was this feel of "Mean Boys" that didn't seem to jibe with what I've read and heard about the school- there are cliques like there are at every school, but downright nastiness doesn't seem to be a characteristic at the real Menlo. They base their curriculum around small, group-based discussions like a college seminar, which means that it's a lot harder to hide nasty, bullying behavior than it would be at a normal public school.

But we haven't actually hit the Menlo part of the story, just met a few kids who go there that might not be necessarily what the school is actually like.

This post pisses me off, because Jeremy said you'd stick up for the water polo player and say that he wouldn't be that big of an ass, and now you're proving him right, and I really hate that. Posted Image

I agree with you about water polo players from my own anecdotal perspective, but I needed an asshole here for the storyline. You'll see his connection later. Posted Image

Hey, Mark....I think there's something you need to do over at Adam's group....Posted Image Posted Image

To be honest, I don't think it's THAT out of question for there to be an asshole in water polo. There's always a bad guy in every sport, right? I was in cross-country, which couldn't be more "laidback, chill people" if they tried, and there were a couple of jerky guys on there, too. Just have the suggestion that Carter's behavior is more of a exception the rule, he's two-faced with the coach, and I think it would work.

Speaking of California culture, though...here's an audition of a band called Emblem 3 for the show X-Factor. It's 2012, so it's more contemporary, but I thought I'd post this because these guys encapsulate a lot of current trends I see on teenaged/college-aged guys right now. And they're from Huntington Beach, so that makes them prime SoCal specimens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXiczowhdB8

I mean, these guys would be more Courtney's generation than Will's, but given that you like to introduce new protagonists, I wouldn't be shocked if there were future protagonist who would have been born somewhere around the early/mid-90's like these guys were. Noted the gauged ears, their sneakers, the skinny jeans that still somehow managed to be baggy, the tank tops, the flannel, and the hairstyles on the two brunets.

It'd be funny if Stefan went on a rant in a circa 2010 story about all the young cute guys ruining their looks with gauged ears like Dan Savage did. LOL. Seriously though, there are a LOT of guys in the under 25 group going crazy on the tattoos and piercings right now, and not just punk/biker types. Frat boys are looking this now, too. It should have interesting ramifications on the white collar workplace.

Edited by methodwriter85

It already does, as I've mentioned. In thirty years, when people my age are running corporate America, maybe people won't be automatically as repelled by tattoos and gauged piercings as they are now, but at the moment, those that have them are at a serious disadvantage in sales, marketing, mid-level management, or basically anything that requires another party that might not share your own personal tastes taking you seriously. And it does come down to taste. At the most conservative levels, people that have chosen to make more visible body alterations are unable to look professional. They may look attractive, mind, but that doesn't completely abate the issue.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, NorCal people, settle something for me here...

Were high school and college kids wearing North Face fleece jackets in NorCal in 2000? I've seen videos of Menlo School students from the 2010's wearing them, so I know that is a look that exists there, but was it around in 2000? I know the look was around in the early 2000's on the East Coast, and I could have sworn people posted in an old California-related thread I did that NorCal people wore North Face jackets as well, but I'd like it if people could either confirm or deny that it was a look here. (Except for you, PrivateTim. You somehow completely missed the popped collar trend revival of circa 2003-2006.Posted Image )

Yeah, sure. Earlier than that, actually. I remember seeing them around in 8th grade. I'm not sure if my living in the Sierras at the time made my peers more or less likely to be early adopters of the trend, but I distinctly remember a kid moving up form the city with one of those jackets during my freshman year, 1998. I remember because I wanted that jacket like anything, and because pretty much the first thing the kid did was hit on me (not seriously). I was pretty shocked, so much of that day is quite clear.

And be nice.

• 2 months later...

I normally reply to Mark comments in reviews in the Paternity thread, but I figured this goes in here more because the 49ers is a part of California culture.

Mark is not happy with the outcome of the SuperBowl.

Hey though Mark, your guys had an phenomenal second half and really gave my guys a run for their money. From down 22, to just a field-goal game. It wasn't clear that the Ravens were going to win until that fake punt return that shaved off 8 seconds. You should have nothing but pride and joy for the 49ers, man. There is no doubt in my mind that the 49ers will win the Super Bowl in the near future and tie with Pittsburgh for most Super Bowl wins under Harbaugh.

Here's an interesting video, though. Basically, it's a bunch of 49ers fans watching the game at Buffalo Wild Wings. There aren't any actual Ravens fans, but Raiders fans who want to see the 49ers lose. How long has this rivalry been around? Is it as nasty as the Cowboys/Eagles one? What are the really nasty, nasty as in "this could get violent" rivalries in California?

I just think it's interesting because outside of college football, California seems more like a basketball state as opposed to a football state like Texas is. It's surprising that Los Angeles hasn't had a football team since the Raiders left in the 90's. It doesn't seem like this current generation is all that interested in football...I remember in earlier stories football was a big thing but that later got replaced with hockey. Did interest in NFL football wane after the end of the 80's Niners Dynasty in California, Mark? Is that what you're reflecting here?

• 5 months later...

Hey, there's something I'm curious about...when did the whole "gourmet food truck" deal become popular in Los Angeles? I know the trend is hitting huge right now in the Philly metro area, but I got the impression that it started over on the West Coast. It seems like Portland and Los Angeles were early adopters of that trend, at least according to the foodie shows I watch.

There's something kind of crazy about the idea that you can get full-on gourmet meals from a food truck, but eh. I figure Robbie, Matt, and Will would be all over that. Not so sure I can picture Stefan or JJ into that.

Edited by methodwriter85

Fancy smanshy food trucks were more like 2003 on and really got going in 2005.I can see Will being more into the traditional tamale truck in LA, not the Korean types.

Robbie would be into it because he is a young person's industry where trends and hotness are important to them. I don't see Will being that shallow, Robbie I do because of his insecurities.

• Like 1

That's pretty interesting, Tim. I think in Philly they probably hit around 2008-2009, because about a year after I graduated from UD (circa 2011) they apparently got Indian food trucks on campus. Then this year, at the 4th of July festival in at UD, I saw a really fancy, huuuuggggeeee-looking food truck. (It was seriously the size of a tour bus.) Although they weren't really selling anything gourmet there. But the general idea is there- the small food carts/trucks that sell hot dogs and Philly cheesesteaks are evolving upwards in some cases.

I would generally see Robbie being into it because he likes food. A lot. LOL.

I honestly don't see any of these people (even Robbie) eating food that comes out of a truck for two reasons:

1) Yes, I do believe they are that shallow

2) There is no cloth napkin to toss when they get angry.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..