April 25th - ANZAC Day

I'm not an Aussie, but I'm sure that there are members here that are. :) For the rest, here is a video that will show you what ANZAC day is all about and what it means to Australians.

They should never be forgotten.

Take Care

Tomas

I'm not an Aussie, but I'm sure that there are members here that are. :) For the rest, here is a video that will show you what ANZAC day is all about and what it means to Australians.

They should never be forgotten.

Take Care

Tomas

I loved that song "Waltzing Mathilda" I had a friend write variations on it, so I can perform it soon..

Thanks Bumblebee for the link to the history of ANZAC Day.

I think the song and the clips in the video really makes the events of 1915 hit home.

Take Care

Tomas

I have known that song for a long time.

I have just shown my 11 year old the video and sang the song that I have sung to him for years.

Efan likes to know the stories behind the songs I sing, many of which have political meaning, and I have always told him, as best i could. I am grateful that he has now got to actually see the truth of it.

Bless you all

May the dead sleep in peace and the living never forget them

ANZAC Day its the one day that the Australians and New Zealanders put aside our friendly rivalry and everyone stops to think about the sacrifice our diggers did when they first landed in Gallipoli, but also we think about our troops all over the world past and present, dead or alive.

We as Australians and New Zealanders owe our freedom to these guys, so its the least we can do for them.

"The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" was written by Eric Bogle a Scottish/Australian in 1971. In essence, it is correct, but there are a number of errors, as one would expect after 50 years. Eric's site

Eric Bogle has been quoted as saying that this is the best rendition(John Mc.Dermott) of all the many covers of his song.

A number of people believe it was more a subtle comment on the Vietnam War rather than a comment on the Great War where double amputees did not survive. It is is now even more appropriate, as the number of Iraq/Afghanistan double amputees is rising alarming.

Although the number of songs Eic Bogle has written is enormous, another of his most covered songs is No Man's Land also known as Green Fields of France and Willie McBride. This is probably more true-full of the Great War in General.

ANZAC Day its the one day that the Australians and New Zealanders put aside our friendly rivalry

:P hehe. Yeah.

Hey, I love you Aussies, A. :D

On a more serious note, yes, this is a day to reflect on the horrors and sadness of this time.

• Like 1

A song i'd forgotten about totally Tomas! So thank you.

It certainly something that's incredibly deeply entrenched in our national identity now, and I think quite differently from a lot of other countries who fought in the World Wars. Both wars had such a huge impact on our history and our identity. I've heard of it referred to as 'the militarization of Australia's history' but at the same time, our recorded history is pretty short and those two wars were huge events which shaped us.

This is the song (also by Eric Bogle) which i knew better. It always made me cry as a child - and it still gives me chills.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow i know this is a bit after the date but, i have never heard that song before. I march every year and that part in the song when it said

"the numbers are getting fewer and soon no one will march at all"

I was actually kind of angry at us aussies, cause it is so true. We owe these guys so much though, and to think there will be a time that we don't honour them anymore is tragic.