AARP Gay Site

MikeL

The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) has a new area on its web site for older members of the LGBT community. The page has links to stories on such hot topics as same-sex marriage, gay adoption, and the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell". There are also articles on finance, travel, and other issues of interest. You do not have to be an AARP member to use the site. Check it out at aarp.org/pride

Before long there may be a literary site for older gays. Maybe it will be called grayauthors.org :P

• Like 2

I remember Queer As Folk did an episode that addressed how gay men are tossed out of the club scene when they're 30. I wonder if that's still true now.

I remember Queer As Folk did an episode that addressed how gay men are tossed out of the club scene when they're 30. I wonder if that's still true now.

Not sure I got kicked out when I was 30 and never looked back. :D

Actually I met Mike when I was 30 and never wanted to go back. B)

But so as to be not :off: The graying of the gay population is something that's been talked about and written about for a time, but it's not until some entity like AARP - big enough to half an impact on the news - take up the issue that it gets the press it deserves. Hopefully it will help older - of which I am rapidly barreling towards - LGBT persons cope with being older. For most it is a different set of issues - no kids, no recognized spouse - so pensions might not transfer over, certainly Soc Security won't, housing etc. It's going to require different solutions than for straight gay couples and it's about time it gets some air time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hopefully it will help older - of which I am rapidly barreling towards - LGBT persons cope with being older.

The minimum age for AARP membership is 50. That hardly seems old enough from my current viewpoint Posted Image .

The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) has a new area on its web site for older members of the LGBT community. The page has links to stories on such hot topics as same-sex marriage, gay adoption, and the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell". There are also articles on finance, travel, and other issues of interest. You do not have to be an AARP member to use the site. Check it out at aarp.org/pride

Before long there may be a literary site for older gays. Maybe it will be called grayauthors.org Posted Image

Please.... as if a gay man is ever going to let his hair go gray... it would be more like justformenauthors.org :P

Hell no. I was out there last night and still giving it yeeha in front of an audience ;*)

Please.... as if a gay man is ever going to let his hair go gray... it would be more like justformenauthors.org :P

Lol. I'm grey. I love grey hair ... at least when it is salt and pepper heading towards silver. Now, if only younger guys could manage that ... mmmmm :P

How about becausewereworthitauthors.org :)

Hell no. I was out there last night and still giving it yeeha in front of an audience ;*)

Lol. I'm grey. I love grey hair ... at least when it is salt and pepper heading towards silver. Now, if only younger guys could manage that ... mmmmm Posted Image

How about becausewereworthitauthors.org Posted Image

Now that would be an interesting topic.... how older gays are treated in their communities. In my experience, some what limited to West Hollywood and the Bay Area, other than the guys who like "daddies", the gay community I've been exposed to is very youth oriented and older guys (50+) in clubs in WeHo just get crap and derision from the younger (under 30) guys. Those of us in the middle just keep our heads down. We remember being young and now realize old happens.